no cell phones while driving

Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Re: no cell phones while driving

Post by Leedeth »

wannabe wrote:
Takigu wrote:speaking of tickets i got busted last night for doing 87 in a 50 but the dumb-ass statie wrote on the ticket 87 in a 55 lol that will prolly save me like 50 bucks unfortunately i prolly cant make it to the meet if i lose my license, which i prolly will, hopefully just till i turn 18 which is like 3 weeks from now
we kept telling you to slow the fck down, but nope. you went and got a ticket...

don't get that plastic taken away, now.

aaron: "was ur dad pissed?" (in otherwords, did your dad break ur neck and drag u behind his truck?")
Holy sh1t, 87 in a 50, what the hell were you thinking? If that were in km I'd be like holy sh1t you should be going 70 max. In miles, holy sh1t that is fvcking fast.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

Bawked wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:
Bawked wrote:meh this is stupid... i txt while driving but not when driving thru the hills, I need full attention then. Talking on the bluetooth phone headset is same as talking to passenger, if you can't do it w/o crashing u fail.
Fail. It's been shown that talking on a phone takes your attention off the road, and it's not the same as talking to a passenger.

That said, I saw at least ten people today who will probably have tickets, eh, probably by the fourth.
plz back up with evidence, and not someones blog plz cause thats not scientifically backed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_pho ... ing_safety

Driving while using a hands-free device is not safer than while using a hand held cell phone, as concluded by case-crossover studies.[2][3] epidemiological,[4][5] simulation,[7] and meta-analysis[9][10]. The increased "cognitive workload" involved in holding a conversation, not the use of hands, causes the increased risk.[13][14][15] One notable exception to that conclusion is a study by headset manufacturer Plantronics, which found 71 percent of the test subjects steered more accurately, 100 percent had faster brake reaction times, and 92 percent maintained a more consistent speed when using a headset versus handheld.[16] The consistency of increased crash risk between hands-free and hand held cell phone use is at odds with legislation in many locations that prohibits hand held cell phone use but allows hands-free. Dialing a cell phone is more distracting than talking on a cell phone, [17] and hands-free devices that offer voice-dialing may reduce or eliminate that increased risk.

The scientific literature is mixed on the dangers of talking on a cell phone versus those of talking with a passenger. The common conception is that passengers are able to better regulate conversation based on the perceived level of danger, therefore the risk is negligible. A study by a University of South Carolina psychology researcher featured in the journal, Experimental Psychology, found that planning to speak and speaking put far more demands on the brain’s resources than listening. Measurement of attention levels showed that subjects were four times more distracted while preparing to speak or speaking than when they were listening.[18] The Accident Research Unit at the University of Nottingham found that the number of utterances was usually higher for mobile calls when compared to blindfolded and non-blindfolded passengers across various driving conditions. The number of questions asked averaged slightly higher for mobile phone conversations, although results were not constant across road types and largely influenced by a large number of questions on the urban roads.[19] A 2004 University of Utah simulation study that compared passenger and cell-phone conversations concluded that the driver performs better when conversing with a passenger because the traffic and driving task become part of the conversation. Drivers holding conversations on cell phones were four times more likely to miss the highway exit than those with passengers, and drivers conversing with passengers showed no statistically significant difference from lone drivers in the simulator.[20] A study led by Andrew Parkes at the Transport Research Laboratory, also with a driving simulator, concluded that hands-free phone conversations impair driving performance more than other common in-vehicle distractions such as passenger conversations.[21]
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Leedeth wrote:
wannabe wrote:
Takigu wrote:speaking of tickets i got busted last night for doing 87 in a 50 but the dumb-ass statie wrote on the ticket 87 in a 55 lol that will prolly save me like 50 bucks unfortunately i prolly cant make it to the meet if i lose my license, which i prolly will, hopefully just till i turn 18 which is like 3 weeks from now
we kept telling you to slow the fck down, but nope. you went and got a ticket...

aaron: "was ur dad pissed?" (in otherwords, did your dad break ur neck and drag u behind his truck?")
Holy sh1t, 87 in a 50, what the hell were you thinking? If that were in km I'd be like holy sh1t you should be going 70 max. In miles, holy sh1t that is fvcking fast.
john likes to speed. honest
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Takigu
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 98 s-10 4.3L vortec v6

Post by Takigu »

john likes to speed. honest[/quote]

yeah i wasnt watching the speedometer very closely.
wow that took like a year to type my keyboard is messed up
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

You shouldn't need to look at the speedometer to notice you're going almost 40 over.

Seriously, you're nuts. You're just lucky that all you got was a speeding ticket...
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

Cell Phones, even hands-free, not safe on the roads.

There ya go.

I'm not even going to tell you all some of the things John has done in a car...
You'd be sh1tting yourselves...

John, you should really go see Roman's crash thread... He used to drive kinda like you, only a tiny bit more aggressive... it led to a veeeeery bad incident...

There's so many posts by Roman, I'm not gonna bother searching... It'll bring up 300 threads for me to sift through... as opposed to like, three times that for Adam... but still...
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

comingbackdown wrote:John, you should really go see Roman's crash thread... He used to drive kinda like you, only a tiny bit more aggressive... it led to a veeeeery bad incident...

There's so many posts by Roman, I'm not gonna bother searching... It'll bring up 300 threads for me to sift through... as opposed to like, three times that for Adam... but still...
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... =23&t=9466

Was easy to find because I remembered "cry me a river" was in the title.
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

Leedeth wrote:
comingbackdown wrote:John, you should really go see Roman's crash thread... He used to drive kinda like you, only a tiny bit more aggressive... it led to a veeeeery bad incident...

http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... =23&t=9466

Was easy to find because I remembered "cry me a river" was in the title.
You do have an excellent memory...

Okay, John. Go take a look at that, and be prepared for unpleasant imagery.
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

My point is that it doesn't really affect my concentration whether my hand is on the side of my head, on the shifter, or on the wheel. What matters is where my mind is. in other words, sometimes I talk on the phone, sometimes I don't. I do prefer handsfree when I do just because it scares people to shift and steer with one hand.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

kamesama980 wrote:I do prefer handsfree when I do just because it scares people to shift and steer with one hand.
my dad...drives an 01 beetle, yellow, stick. he'll have his phone up to his ear, with his RIGHT hand, and SHIFT with his left, its kinda scary to watch, to say the least.

Crafting and stuff
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

Crafting and stuff
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

damn, looked back thru the pics, and i sure miss her, what a car. she was my baby, my white probe is just my car...

but seriously, you gotta be drunk or stoned to go 90 on a random road and not realize it. i understand going 90 on the highway, thats normal as sh1t, but going 90 on a random county road, thats kinda reckless. how the hell did you not go to jail for 40 over, your lucky as sh1t cop was cool in a big way.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
wannabe
Master Standardshifter

Post by wannabe »

i dunno if he posted or not, but he did lose his licesnse...we txted him, asking for a ride to ashland, and he can't, b/c no lic :(

Crafting and stuff
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

roflmfao. guess how many people drive w/o a license. add another one to that number. i know if i got my license taked away nothing would change, id still be driving, doing whatever. about the only thing i couldnt do is cash a check at the bank cuz they need real id, my college ID prolly wouldnt work lol
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter

Post by comingbackdown »

hockeystyx16 wrote:roflmfao. guess how many people drive w/o a license. add another one to that number. i know if i got my license taked away nothing would change, id still be driving, doing whatever. about the only thing i couldnt do is cash a check at the bank cuz they need real id, my college ID prolly wouldnt work lol
Spelling fail.

Takigu isn't necessarily that dumb... His parents would find out, and he'd reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally be dead since he's not 18 until like next month... I can't remember, when is it? He'd have a living hell every fvcking day...

Dude, John, how you gettin' to work?

Sorry 'bout the Probe, Roman, but you're turning the current one into a work of art, bit by bit. I'd love to see you driving around in a turbo Probe. That'd be bitchin'.