Boston Area: anyone want to help?

StickIt
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW 335xi

Boston Area: anyone want to help?

Post by StickIt »

I got a new car and I got a manual transmission. I learned on a manual transmission a long time ago but never drove one since then. Anyone around here willing to help me master a standard shift?
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 VW GTI 1.8T

Re: Boston Area: anyone want to help?

Post by pobrien »

learning in Boston, ouch. thats no fun. maybe if i head to one of my buddies place down there ill give you a quick lesson or two. but all you really gotta do is get a feel for the catch point of the clutch and practice. if you learned once, it should be fairly easy to pick it back up again. What car did you pick up btw?
-OB
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

If you want to drive up to Peabody, I might be able to help...
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
StickIt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by StickIt »

pobrien wrote:learning in Boston, ouch. thats no fun. maybe if i head to one of my buddies place down there ill give you a quick lesson or two. but all you really gotta do is get a feel for the catch point of the clutch and practice. if you learned once, it should be fairly easy to pick it back up again. What car did you pick up btw?
Haha, if I was really in Boston I wouldn't have been brave enough to pick up the manual. I am actually in Waltham. I haven't driven the car too much yet but the main problem is that there are a lot of inclines around where I am and I didn't notice it until I got the standard shift, haha. I picked up a Bimmer, 335xi.
StickIt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by StickIt »

tehfade wrote:If you want to drive up to Peabody, I might be able to help...
I may take you up on that, I'm in Waltham. I just really have to avoid inclines. I ran into a really steep one when I went to get my windows tinted and it was not fun.
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

tehfade wrote:If you want to drive up to Peabody, I might be able to help...
your from peabody? thats right next to me. wait, you don't have a handicap sticker for your car that you throw up sometimes do you? cuz i saw a black gto parked a couple weeks ago with one on and i laughed cuz it seemed so ironic.
-OB
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

No, no handicap sticker here. There are a few other black GTOs around though....if you see one that's got a G.O.N.E. sticker on the right quarter window, and a slightly cockeyed right tailpipe, that's mine.

OP: 335xi, huh? Nice...the motor in those is badass. Should be pretty easy to drive after you get the hang of it. If you do want to come down, you can just get on 128 and take Rt 1. That puts you less than 5 minutes from me, and there's no hills on the way. (Don't BMWs have a hill holder anyway?)
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

If anyone is in this member's area it would be great if they could help! :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Johnf514 wrote:If anyone is in this member's area it would be great if they could help! :)
read fail. both pat and tehfade are in his area. and if pat is. that means chris is too, :P
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
StickIt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by StickIt »

wannabe wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:If anyone is in this member's area it would be great if they could help! :)
read fail. both pat and tehfade are in his area. and if pat is. that means chris is too, :P
Yeah, hoping to find someone that can help. Of course you're not expected to do this for nothing :D .
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

Like I said, I'll help you out...gotta check my work schedule for this week though....think I'm off tuesday/thursday, but IDK. I'll know for sure later tonight.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tehfade wrote:No, no handicap sticker here. There are a few other black GTOs around though....if you see one that's got a G.O.N.E. sticker on the right quarter window, and a slightly cockeyed right tailpipe, that's mine.
Im always kinda on the lookout for you since youre one of the 3 of us in the imediate area. Now I know what to look for.

And no, its not a read fail, its a Johnfail
StickIt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by StickIt »

watkins wrote:
tehfade wrote:No, no handicap sticker here. There are a few other black GTOs around though....if you see one that's got a G.O.N.E. sticker on the right quarter window, and a slightly cockeyed right tailpipe, that's mine.
Im always kinda on the lookout for you since youre one of the 3 of us in the imediate area. Now I know what to look for.

What's "read fail"?
pobrien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by pobrien »

StickIt wrote:
watkins wrote:

What's "read fail"?
lol me and tehfade both posted that we were in your area already and could possibly help then Johnf came along and asked for people in your area to come and help even though we already posted. so he failed at reading 8)
-OB
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

I've PMed you as well, but I just got out of work...looks like I'll be around Wednesday and Friday if you want to come down then. Let me know and I'll give you directions.