Standardshift.com Logo and Navbar home forums faq buying guide in the press links videos
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:11 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: SF Bay Area
Out of the U.S., yes. Out of North America, not yet.

I did the majority of my racing training in Canada and I've raced in Canada in the Grand-Am Cup racing series.

_________________
Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
garysheehan.com
Gary TV
Gary's MySpace
Gary's Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:43 pm 
Senior Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:49 am
Posts: 641
Location: SoCal
Cars: 2010 Hyundai GenCoupe
First I just wanted to say, Thank you for answering questions... even after the April 29 cut-off. :)

If you don't mind still answering questions. I scanned through the previous posts and didn't see this question.
What are your top 2 favorite cars that you've driven?
Also I was just curious if you've driven the 08 STI or the EvoX (stock or modified for either car)? And if you have, what do you think about it/them?

_________________
2010 Genesis Coupe
2002 Suby Rex Meow! - Traded and will be missed
facebook.com/whaever


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:45 pm 
Junior Standardshifter

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:35 am
Posts: 24
hey gary i was wondering if you could give me any tips for improving my 0-60 foot times in drag racing. i raced at the drag strip for the first time this past summer and i got sum really bad times. i think my clutch was slipping at that point but i know most of it had to do with my inexperience. my shortest 0-60 was 3.04 seconds and my fastest run was 19.1 at 73 mph. i drive a 91 integra rs btw. how can i reduce this time?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:31 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:22 am
Posts: 1000
Cars: tC
When it becomes egregiously clear to the driver that he/she is going to crash, I'm told he/she should let go of the wheel. But what should the driver do with his/her arms so that they don't flail around and potentially extend out the window. I ask this question for two scenarios: normal daily driving in a car with airbags and on a racetrack where there are no airbags (as the driver shouldn't move far enough to hit anything).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:22 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:32 pm
Posts: 2030
Location: Portland, OR
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP
Is Gary still around here? Besides you last two guys, this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year.

If he is, then:

Gary, I've gotten into the habit of double-clutching just about every shift, up and down, while driving on the streets. Without getting into a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of DC in a modern gearbox, do you think the added smoothness of properly executed DC upshifts offers a benefit over a slightly-faster-executed SC upshift or powershift? Or is it too dependent on too many factors to be an answerable question?

_________________
Image
standardshifting FAQs:
http://standardshift.com/faq/
http://tinyurl.com/o27epg


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:05 am 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: SF Bay Area
RITmusic2k wrote:
Is Gary still around here? Besides you last two guys, this thread hasn't been updated in almost a year.

If he is, then:

Gary, I've gotten into the habit of double-clutching just about every shift, up and down, while driving on the streets. Without getting into a discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of DC in a modern gearbox, do you think the added smoothness of properly executed DC upshifts offers a benefit over a slightly-faster-executed SC upshift or powershift? Or is it too dependent on too many factors to be an answerable question?


I don't think that DC upshifts are much benefit at all. The gearbox's internals are slowing down during a shift as does your engine speed. The speed differential tends to be much closer on upshifts vs. downshifts.

Gary

_________________
Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
garysheehan.com
Gary TV
Gary's MySpace
Gary's Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:52 am 
Senior Standardshifter

Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:37 am
Posts: 548
Cars: [1999 Volvo S70]
Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

What's your experience with drifting? Are you a fan? Have you tried it competitively?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:24 pm 
Master Standardshifter

Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Posts: 2781
Location: Enfield, Connecticut
Cars: '98 Civic EX EJ8
Caramel wrote:
Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

What's your experience with drifting? Are you a fan? Have you tried it competitively?

dorifto!

Gary Sheehan is actually known as Keiichi Tsuchiya in japan...he's pretty much the man

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:23 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: SF Bay Area
Caramel wrote:
Lot's of great answers and questions! thanks for doing this!

What's your experience with drifting? Are you a fan? Have you tried it competitively?


I haven't tried competitive drifting yet, but I would jump at the opportunity. It looks like a lot of fun!

I've done it accidentally a few times, though...


_________________
Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
garysheehan.com
Gary TV
Gary's MySpace
Gary's Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:29 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:00 pm
Posts: 1101
Location: SF Bay Area
gizmo wrote:
When it becomes egregiously clear to the driver that he/she is going to crash, I'm told he/she should let go of the wheel. But what should the driver do with his/her arms so that they don't flail around and potentially extend out the window. I ask this question for two scenarios: normal daily driving in a car with airbags and on a racetrack where there are no airbags (as the driver shouldn't move far enough to hit anything).


Some drivers cross their arms across their chest, others put their hands up on either side of their head. Window nets are there to keep your arms from flailing out the window in a roll.

_________________
Gary
Sheehan Motor Racing
garysheehan.com
Gary TV
Gary's MySpace
Gary's Facebook


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:26 pm 
Master Standardshifter

Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Posts: 8429
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Image


FLAIL!

_________________
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:52 pm 
Senior Standardshifter

Joined: Tue May 08, 2012 4:55 am
Posts: 146
do u know why on a track, pros are determined to engage every gear as they downshift?
whats the benefit of it? is it beneficial to the health of the tranny or is it only beneficial for the engine braking?

for street driving
i notice ppl just clutch in and run it thru each gate or simply block shift if theyre lazy
sometimes rev matching sometimes not


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group