Here's what's really killing the manual transmission

All the news that's fit to shift.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Here's what's really killing the manual transmission

Post by Standardshifter »

A few days old, but a good one:

'The sky's been falling for 50 years now, it seems. In September 1965, Playboy published an article by automotive-journalism legend Ken Purdy. It opened with a two-page shot of a Corvette shifter covered in cobwebs and the headline "Bye-Bye Stick Shift."'

http://www.roadandtrack.com/boot/whats- ... ransmisson
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: Here's what's really killing the manual transmission

Post by daleadbull »

Good read.

My theory on why manuals seem to be doomed (with a few exceptions in the enthusiast focused models) is that its a never ending cycle. Car makers don't want to offer manual versions of a car anymore because the take rate is so low but from the customers point of view they don't buy is because its obvious that most of the R&D is spent on the automatic. The manual transmission in general has pretty much been unchanged for a while now while the dual clutch transmissions and torque converters are getting better and better every year. Sure Porsche and a few others seem to be putting some effort into it by offering auto rev matching and 7 speeds etc.

Here's another issue, even if the automakers want to upgrade the manual they will receive backlash from the "purists" for messing with perfection. This is part of this vicious cycle too: car makers don't make any changes to manual tranny --> buyers call the manual outdated and choose the auto. Car makers make changes and offer new features in the manual --> enthusiasts rebel and say that they are messing with perfection. I feel like because of this, some automakers just abandon the manual all together. Its like neither side can win.

We need someone to take a risk and make a stand, either the buyers by demanding they want the manual or the automakers by offering the manual transmission even if it doesn't make financial sense. Break the cycle! :)
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Well said, daleadbull! That is really quite insightful.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

2 posts featuring the same article in the same night? WTF, mate?

As daleadbull said, it's a chicken and egg thing. Are manufacturers not making them because people don't buy them, or are people not buying them because manufacturers don't make them?

I've always known at least one person who drives a manual and will seek out a manual above all else, which more and more means used. If you're being a used vehicle, your preference doesn't really makes itself known to the new car manufacturers because they don't really pay attention to the used market.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Remember that manuals started losing popularity ages ago, back when automatics were more primitive than they are now, and when they were a drain on acceleration and fuel efficiency. In other words, U.S. consumers preferred even crude automatics that guzzled more gas and performed a bit worse than their manual counterparts. Now that automatics have become vastly more refined, more fuel efficient, and quicker than they were before, I (unfortunately) don't see how any amount of refinement in manual technology would change consumer behavior in large numbers. I'm afraid the likes of us are destined to occupy a niche consumer segment.

But I do agree with the spirit of daleadbull's comments - that manual enthusiasts would be wise to make purchase decisions that give them the loudest voice and support the long-term viability of the manual transmission platform. What does that mean in practice? I don't really know. Perhaps opting for premium-trim stick-only models like the Subaru STi, Mazdaspeed3, VW Golf R, etc. (as opposed to base-level manual models)? Just a theory.
2013 Honda Civic Si
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I suspect that there were two threads because two people saw the same blog entry or something like that.

Yes, definitely vote with your dollars. However, buying a stick-only model sends the message that "I like stick or I will at least tolerate it to get the car that I want." Buying a manual vehicle offered both with manual and auto says very clearly "I will struggle to find the manual transmission because I do not want to tolerate an automatic." A mid trim level Golf with manual is a stronger statement than a Golf R.

Of course, even more important than voting with your dollars is buying the right car for you.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

If Henry F were still alive,
He'd say, what's this jive?
Electro gizmos, fiddle faddle,
Automatic shift and a paddle.
Nay! Standard shift I'll drive!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:I suspect that there were two threads because two people saw the same blog entry or something like that.

Yes, definitely vote with your dollars. However, buying a stick-only model sends the message that "I like stick or I will at least tolerate it to get the car that I want." Buying a manual vehicle offered both with manual and auto says very clearly "I will struggle to find the manual transmission because I do not want to tolerate an automatic." A mid trim level Golf with manual is a stronger statement than a Golf R.

Of course, even more important than voting with your dollars is buying the right car for you.
Well, both are good imo. Buying a regular Golf or a GTI in manual instead of DSG says that you prefer manual over automatic. On the other hand, buying a Golf R which comes manual only indicates that there is still a place for manuals in performance oriented cars.

Anyway FYI, the next Golf R is supposed to come in both DSG and manual versions which will make things interesting. The take rate on the GTI is around 50% I believe. :)
2012 VW Golf R
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

theholycow wrote:However, buying a stick-only model sends the message that "I like stick or I will at least tolerate it to get the car that I want." Buying a manual vehicle offered both with manual and auto says very clearly "I will struggle to find the manual transmission because I do not want to tolerate an automatic." A mid trim level Golf with manual is a stronger statement than a Golf R.
I agree with your mid-tier trim level scenario, although it seems more common these days for stick to be offered on base-trim models, where consumer choice could be motivated by a lower price.
2013 Honda Civic Si
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yeah, that's very true...and if you buy it there, the message is "I might prefer stick or I might just tolerate it to save money". :(

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Stick it to the man!
Last edited by Rope-Pusher on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter

Post by daleadbull »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image
Stick to to the man!
Quick somebody come up with a witty thing to say, Rope made a typo!

Uh... ahh I don't want to stick any man in the tutu? No, didn't work? Ok sorry, :arrow: I'll see myself out...
2012 VW Golf R
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

:lol:

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Typo? I ain't got no Typo. I doan neet no Typo. I doan neet to show you any steen-keen Typos.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"