Ford killing manuals by 2013

All the news that's fit to shift.
dieselboy77
Junior Standardshifter

Ford killing manuals by 2013

Post by dieselboy77 »

Ford Motor Co. said Wednesday it will introduce a more fuel-efficient, six-speed transmission system for all of its small cars in North America starting in 2010, as the automaker seeks to lift the fuel economy of its vehicles.

Ford said small cars in North America will be equipped with its dual-clutch PowerShift six-speed transmission by 2010, while 100 percent of its transmission will be advanced six-speed gearboxes by 2013.

The company said the new transmission system offers better fuel economy than current automatic transmissions, most of which are five-speed. The PowerShift transmission can help cut fuel consumption by up to 9 percent, the company said.

"PowerShift is more efficient, it saves weight, is more durable, more efficient and the unit is sealed for life, requiring no regular maintenance," said Piero Aversa, manager of Ford Automatic Transmission Engineering, in a statement.

Six-speed transmissions have helped lift the fuel economy of cars such as the 2010 Ford Fusion, the Ford Flex and the Ford Escape, the company said.

Ford said the new transmissions are part of its goal to reduce greenhouse gas emissions across its fleet by 30 percent by 2020.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financia ... RLRTG0.htm

this blows , i wanted a euro focus with manuals, i guess i won't buy a ford since all transmission will be the trip tronic crap
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Ford killing manuals by 2013

Post by watkins »

So much for my small amount of hope that Ford survives. Assholes
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

FWIW, the transmission described there is not a slushbox. While lacking the clutch pedal and tactile feedback of the manual transmission, it does retain almost all of the practical advantages of the manual (and most of the practical advantages of the auto too).

I didn't know that Ford was working on that type of transmission.

I'd be surprised if they completely stop offering manual transmissions.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

ps. Wrong forum
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Post by DrNick »

Taking a manual out of something like a Mustang won't go over very well with most drivers. Other cars... I don't know. It's a tossup.

I will play devil's advocate and say that the new technology is promising. Heard something about it being wired into the brake such that a quick tap of the brake "clutches in" and puts you in neutral, allowing you to coast. Interesting stuff.
dieselboy77
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dieselboy77 »

theholycow wrote:FWIW, the transmission described there is not a slushbox. While lacking the clutch pedal and tactile feedback of the manual transmission, it does retain almost all of the practical advantages of the manual (and most of the practical advantages of the auto too).

its still automatic, dual clutch is like driving a playstation 3 car , and people who are lazy or have no clue how to drive manuals buy that crap. And i drive in heavy traffic every day in last 7 years and i dont find manuals irrotating at all so i dont want to hear about "dual clutch are better in traffic."
dieselboy77
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dieselboy77 »

dieselboy77 wrote:
theholycow wrote:FWIW, the transmission described there is not a slushbox. While lacking the clutch pedal and tactile feedback of the manual transmission, it does retain almost all of the practical advantages of the manual (and most of the practical advantages of the auto too).

its still automatic, dual clutch is like driving a playstation 3 car , and people who are lazy or have no clue how to drive manuals buy that crap. And i drive in heavy traffic every day in last 7 years and i dont find manuals irrotating at all so i dont want to hear about "dual clutch are better in traffic."
i wrote ford and told them if they getting rid of manuals they getting rid of a sale from me hah
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

dieselboy77 wrote:its still automatic, dual clutch is like driving a playstation 3 car
I didn't say it's not automatic, I just said it's not a slushbox; there's no torque converter. I also said essentially the same thing you said, and I quote myself: "lacking the clutch pedal and tactile feedback of the manual transmission".

8ms full throttle shifts are nothing to sneeze at.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
DrNick
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Ford Fusion SEL V6

Post by DrNick »

It's great that they're going with the dry clutch route though - weight reduction and less maintenance compared to the VW DSG. Let's see what long-term longevity is like, though.
Maxwell7301
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Subaru Impreza

Post by Maxwell7301 »

I agree with all of the advantages that theholycow was referring to. Real manual gearboxes controlled by computers have the benefits of slushboxes, while lacking most of the drawbacks.

That said, I think most of us would agree that three pedals are always more fun. I never want to see the manual transmission die completely. I actually like Ford, as most of my family members drive Fords, and the cars have been really reliable. While I'm disappointed at the prospect of Ford killing the manual transmission, I feel that they are the most likely of the "big three" to survive.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

You can thank the new CAFE requirements...
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

who wants a ford anyway? thats the question
<3 fwd
dieselboy77
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dieselboy77 »

they probbly will sell manuals in europe tho
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

Of course they will still sell manuals here. We won't chnage without a fight. Remember, manual is the norm here. Automatics, well that's just witchcraft!
dieselboy77
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dieselboy77 »

Only Americans are so lazy to learn to drive manual, they cant shift becouse 1,chatting on the phone 2,busy eating hamburger ,3.busy putting make up on, 4. busy reading newspapers