need advice on a purchase

Car parts you want to buy
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Re: need advice on a purchase

Post by SteveUK »

The ford focus ST has 225bhp 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and has a top speed of 150mph.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

^^^ Yeah, the Focus in the EU is not the same Focus as we have here.
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tehfade wrote:Also, I think it's a bad idea to have the insurance under your dad's name. You will crash or get pulled over--everybody does--and when it happens, you'll get screwed.
Thats why I like our policy. Im under my parents insurance because it saves money over my own insurance.
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

Yeah, European Fords are very different to North American Fords. Also Ford US made a loss, Ford Europe a profit.

Under EU law the primary driver of the car is the one that must be insured other people may be included as additional drivers. However, the main driver must drive the car for a minimum of 51% of the time that it's on the road. This means that it is getting more difficult for junior to get a car that they cannot insure on their own without committing fraud.

Insurance companies get very suspicous when John Jones age 54 drives a Ford Mondeo and then buys a Renault Clio Sport and also drives that, but his son John Junior is a named driver on that car. It is obvious that both cars are not his primary car and that the smaller hot hatch is actually his son's car.
osamab
Junior Standardshifter

Post by osamab »

I dont like to argue, but if i put insurance with me as the main driver, even the cheapest, slowest, oldest car will cost me above £2000 a year. I would have to be mad to pay that amount. Ive been doing quotes online for a couple of months and nothing has changed. Besides my dad doesnt have his own car anymore, since that got scrapped. Also i know most of you wont believe me as you have not met me, but i am sensible when driving. That probably sounds stupid, but i'm smart enough to know when to use the cars power, and when to take it easy. For instance, i would only ever accelerate quickly if ive got a wide open road, with virtually no hazards (i.e. a motorway). In addition i will have enough money to pay for the car, and more than enough for running costs, maintenance, etc. All i ever wanted was a nice car, and i have saved about 90% of my income over the last year to get this.
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

Use your father, just don't be suprised if it all comes crashing down around you.

The sooner you get your own insurance, the sooner your costs will decrease. Even if you go with an insurance company that gives you no claims as a named driver, you are then tied to that insurance company when you want to use your no claims.

So if you stay on your dad's insurance for 3 years and then have 3 years of no claims you are tied to that insurance company for the discount. If you go to another you will have to start all over again.

Using your named driver no claims each year you will gain your own. eg

1st year on your own
3 years named driver no claims (ND NCD)

2nd year
3 years ND NCD 1 year NCD = 4 years for your insurance company 1 year when taken elsewhere

3rd year
3 years ND NDC 2 years NCD = 5 years or 2 years

and so it goes on.

You are tied to the same company and they do spike their prices so it is not always cheaper to stay with them.

As for the I am sensible when driving. I was a young new driver once...
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

tehfade wrote:In England, you can't get insurance on a car that has a big engine if you're a new driver? That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard!
Hahahaha!!!! I read this response, then looked over to see who wrote it and said to myself, "of course".

How can you possibly think this is a dumb idea? This is a very smart idea. Why is it a dumb idea to prevent inexperienced drivers from driving cars that can easily exceed a new driver's capabilities?

It may not seem fair because it's contrary to your experiences as a new driver, and may not be as fun, but it's certainly not the dumbest thing out there. As a matter of fact, I'd be ALL FOR this idea in the US.

EDIT...just read your follow-up response. It seems like you agree that low powered cars are best for newbies, but it shouldn't be a law or regulated by insurers. Is that where you're coming from?
GarySheehan
Master Standardshifter

Post by GarySheehan »

osamab wrote:Ok im new here. I just wanted your thoughts on what is the better purchase and why. By the way i live in England, UK. And my budget is about £10,000. I have decided to go for a diesel due to the crazy fuel prices here in england. So here are the choices:

1 - BMW 3 Series E46 2 litre diesel
2 - Audi A4 (Year 2000-2004) 1.9 TDI
3 - Honda Accord 2.2 CTDi

As I am a young driver, these are the only engine sizes available to me, for insurance reasons.
I can't comment on the performance aspect of any of these vehicles with diesel power. If reliability and build quality were number one, I'd go Honda. For perceived classiness, toss-up between the German cars.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

If I recall correctly, motorcycles are licensed at a graduated rate in the UK. One starts on a sub-250cc bike for a year, then is permitted to move up once that has been mastered.

I see no reason to not implement something like this into the US. Yes, a 2.0L and a 6.0L engine will still do 110 MPH, but it's harder to get into trouble with the smaller engine.

Note that it will never happen, because in American, we believe in our freedoms. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

Johnf514 wrote:If I recall correctly, motorcycles are licensed at a graduated rate in the UK. One starts on a sub-250cc bike for a year, then is permitted to move up once that has been mastered.

I see no reason to not implement something like this into the US. Yes, a 2.0L and a 6.0L engine will still do 110 MPH, but it's harder to get into trouble with the smaller engine.

Note that it will never happen, because in American, we believe in our freedoms. :)
Ehh, not necessarily:

http://autos.yahoo.com/chevrolet_cobalt ... ged_coupe/

It's not really the size of the motor, it's the total power/weight. A 16 year old kid can get a motorcycle license, then go buy a Hayabusa for the same price as a Honda Civic. The Honda's engine is bigger, but the Hayabusa will kill him quicker. Bad example, but the above one isn't. The Cobalt SSTC is a monster of a car for a kid, and it only has a "2.0L" motor. Yes, it's turbo charged, but still. :D
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

With the addition of turbos to so many 2.0L engines, size isnt the best way to deliniate levels for graduation. Since turboed engines are relatively easy to mod for more power, the problems still exist. Take for example, bringing the late 90s/early 2000s Saab 2.0L turbo to over 300hp with a $550 ECU upgrade and maybe the same amount worth of hardware.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

Nychold wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:If I recall correctly, motorcycles are licensed at a The Cobalt SSTC is a monster of a car for a kid, and it only has a "2.0L" motor. Yes, it's turbo charged, but still. :D
Hmm. You're right. And we drove the SSTC too - that thing is pretty quick for a "cheap" car.

Well, I guess the point is moot, considering a law like that will never happen. I guess that form of after-birth control will continue! :)
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636
Nychold
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nychold »

Actually, we drove the supercharged version. The turbocharged version is new for 08/09 years. And it's even quicker...the SSSC was 205 HP, this bad boy's 260 HP. :| :shock: :) :D
Giant Robot
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Giant Robot »

Johnf514 wrote:If I recall correctly, motorcycles are licensed at a graduated rate in the UK. One starts on a sub-250cc bike for a year, then is permitted to move up once that has been mastered.

I understand the gist of something like this, and at the same time it's tough to choose one specific thing to regulate. I mean, Should a 6.0L engine be banned even if it makes less power than the 2.0L engine? What about the size of the car? GTI's and Civic SI's both have 200 hp and can run circles around some cars with more power. Plus, they're smaller, so they may not fare as well in a crash, no matter how many safety features they've got.

The devil's in the details, IMO.
A Famous Giant Robot.
Johnf514

Post by Johnf514 »

260 HP? Crikey!

The regulation would probably have to be by power rating. Some sort of HP/TQ ratio? Nowadays, there are plenty of 2.0L engines that will keep up with a 2-3 year old 4.0L. It's a rock and a hard place (and as we've recently found out, AHTOXA knows about both!).
2007 Mazda3
2006 Ninja 636