Forum Organization

About the forum and Standardshift.com.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Forum Organization

Post by Leedeth »

I think it's obvious that the Wiki idea won't get off the ground, and I think it won't matter much if we can get the forums set up better.

Here's my suggestion.

Move the two sub-forums that have the most manual-related discussion into a technical section.

Technical Discussion Forums
-Tranny Talk
-Manual Driving Tips
-Parts and Problems (yeah move this there too)

I think this would benefit the members who are only occasional visitors; therefore they can avoid the general forums and head straight to the technical section.

And the rest of us can gradually cut the off-topic chatter from spilling into the technical forums.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Forum Organization

Post by watkins »

Leedeth wrote:And the rest of us can gradually cut the off-topic chatter from spilling into the technical forums.
This is SS.com, where the topic is off-topic.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I agree with Leedeth (Chris, is it?).

Remember, the objective of this site is to teach and help novice standard drivers in their quest to get more proficient. I cannot think of a better source of this information than SS, but I have a feeling a lot of people are starting to get put off by all the off-topic-ness and "discussions" that happen here.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
blauenlanze
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2017 BMW M240i 6MT

Post by blauenlanze »

I think we should take a lot of the good information that's in the forum and incorporate it into the FAQ on how to learn, which can be pretty different from what gets said on the forum. Not every newbie is going to dig around the forum and find the Threads of INterest list for example.
2007 BMW M240i 6MT
2006 Honda S2000 6MT (old)
2001 Honda Prelude SH 5MT (old)
2000 Toyota Camry V6 (old) auto
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

all we need is tha link to the FAQ and the off topic section with tranny talk, tips, rants and raves and pics as subforums in that section
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

hockeystyx16 wrote:all we need is tha link to the FAQ and the off topic section with tranny talk, tips, rants and raves and pics as subforums in that section
Give racing its own forum with subforums for what type of racing, yada yada etc.

It'd also be really nice if we could do a DIY/Mechanical FAQ as well. "My clutch pedal won't come back up" check the following, etc.
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Too many forums makes life suck. Minor reworking might be good, but avoiding new forums at all costs is key.

Also, and probably more importantly, every topic goes off topic, so there really isnt any way to really keep anything sorted. Thread splitting and joining becomes messy fast.
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

We're working to keep threads on-topic. It's hard to limit topics, but keep it a friendly atmo. Basically, if someone has something related to the subject of the thread, then post it. If they don't, either start a new thread (if it's worth it) or put it in the Misc. thread. :)
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar