Blasted for having a stick?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

NHRA pro stocks run crashboxes.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

StrangeWill wrote:
ra64t wrote:
ferociousj wrote:my friend has 92 Camaro that was manual, but he put in an automatic for some reason. I asked him why and he told me that it makes his car faster and I believe he said something like "nothing like american muscle with an auto transmission." I didn't say anything cause I don't really know much about his car or how it drives. But I'm pretty sure he's a complete idiot.
a lot of fast drag cars run automatics. Go to the track and check that american muscle, I bet half the cars are running two speed powerglides and the like.
I thought they ran computer controlled manuals.
I'm thinking more like production cars run my amateurs, like 10 second street cars, not NHRA pro.

whats a crashbox?
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Sypher wrote:I've actually seen alot of old school muscles with auto trannies
Just about every old muscle car I see is equipped with an auto tranny. Manuals are much better for going down a racetrack with curves in it...but an auto will always do better at the dragstrip. For the small amount of power you lose using auto instead of manual, you get much more consistent times and simpler launches. I know I hate racing from a dig because I hate launching a manual, even though my car's strong suit is its off-the-line acceleration and traction.

Nothing like an auto in a straight-line race from a stop. Nothing like a manual on a curvy road... Thing is, a curvy road is NOT what a muscle car is made for.
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

Yep. The GTO auto is geared to match the manual on the 1320 given a good stick shifter, but once you hit about 120-130mph the 6 speed will freight train its ass past it. Plus with the 6 speed I can do 160+ mph all day and not worry about my transmission overheating :P

I drag race simply because I feel less can go wrong with crashing my car or hurting someone, but I love canyon carving in a controlled drift and then planting endless grunt in the straights by myself in the Austin hill country ;P
Azrael
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Azrael »

gage wrote:Yep. The GTO auto is geared to match the manual on the 1320 given a good stick shifter, but once you hit about 120-130mph the 6 speed will freight train its ass past it. Plus with the 6 speed I can do 160+ mph all day and not worry about my transmission overheating :P

I drag race simply because I feel less can go wrong with crashing my car or hurting someone, but I love canyon carving in a controlled drift and then planting endless grunt in the straights by myself in the Austin hill country ;P
160+ prolonged in a Goat without overheating your tranny??? I would still feel safer with a tranny cooler and a good tranny fluid for the Autobahn.

In theory my own car will top out at 176 in the top of 5th, but I would be running around at a fairly high rpm... I am a bit skeptical about your freight train theory as well, since the gearing is different for us T56 (MN6/MN12) cars versus the A4 cars.

My wife's A4 will pull hard up top... Matter of fact even with my better Aerodynamics she still holds my car off up top; then again her extra 250rwhp helps... hahah... Although my MN12 is geared internally more aggressively than a GTO's MN6...
-=2003 Black Corvette Z06=-
Gish
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Gish »

Prodigal Son wrote:Just tell them, "A stick is worth 30 horespower." Say it with great confidence so they don't ask you where the number comes from.
The funny thing is, on my car it does!

:shock:

(RX-8 )
Last edited by Gish on Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

Azrael wrote: 160+ prolonged in a Goat without overheating your tranny??? I would still feel safer with a tranny cooler and a good tranny fluid for the Autobahn.

In theory my own car will top out at 176 in the top of 5th, but I would be running around at a fairly high rpm... I am a bit skeptical about your freight train theory as well, since the gearing is different for us T56 (MN6/MN12) cars versus the A4 cars.

My wife's A4 will pull hard up top... Matter of fact even with my better Aerodynamics she still holds my car off up top; then again her extra 250rwhp helps... hahah... Although my MN12 is geared internally more aggressively than a GTO's MN6...
The GTO without it's limiter can get up to 180 with some room on the tach, I haven't gone more than 130 but the car felt very comfortable. I'm not familiar with how the C5 Z06's are geared but the transmission on the goat is the same as the C6 Z06 from everything I've read (excluding clutch). Its possible their different since the CTS-V has a more aggressive gearing, at least in LS6 configuration.

I'm speaking strictly on the stock GTO's M6 vs. A4 configuration, the Goats A4 is designed for maximum performance in the quarter. The M6 simply has more gears to stay in the horsepower band. Once you start adding mods all bets are off though. Many owners swap out their transmissions though because the stock A4 can't take the beating of the T56.

P.S. - Z06 is f**k hot :)
weatherguy48
Junior Standardshifter

Post by weatherguy48 »

Somewhat related to some of your replies thus far, When I was six, my half brother was like 17-18. He must've gone through 7 cars in a year. He always drove 80's 5-spd toyotas.

Once, I remember asking him why the heck he drove a manual.

He simply shrugged and replied, "they're fun to drive'.

16 years later, those words still stick (no pun intended).
the unknown
Junior Standardshifter

Post by the unknown »

eaglecatcher wrote:it cranks, its just not the strongest crank. It always fires up well, just the first few cranks dont sound really strong.

I think its still got a good amount of life in it, but I predict that will be the next hing to goon my car.
your battery might not be putting out enough amps to spin the starter.
papercliprebel
Senior Standardshifter

Post by papercliprebel »

i can tolerate automatic sympathizers, but people who say smgs are more fun should be stabbed on site.
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

me love teh stick, i was talking to a rich kid about his 350z slushbox and hes like ill beat a stick 350z any day i called my boss who owns a dealership and asked to borrow the 350z and beat him by almost 5 seconds on the track
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 99 Ram 2500, 86 Ford LTD

Post by comingbackdown »

.insane wrote:me love teh stick, i was talking to a rich kid about his 350z slushbox and hes like ill beat a stick 350z any day i called my boss who owns a dealership and asked to borrow the 350z and beat him by almost 5 seconds on the track
I would've walked out of the car with a boombox playing a recording of the AOL "You've Got Mail" voice going "You've been pwned!"
1999 Ram 2500 4x4 360, 1986 Ford LTD 3.8L, 1983 Yamaha Venture Royale 1200
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

comingbackdown wrote:
.insane wrote:me love teh stick, i was talking to a rich kid about his 350z slushbox and hes like ill beat a stick 350z any day i called my boss who owns a dealership and asked to borrow the 350z and beat him by almost 5 seconds on the track
I would've walked out of the car with a boombox playing a recording of the AOL "You've Got Mail" voice going "You've been pwned!"
lol i wish no i think i could have beat him by more but i didnt want to push it cuz i dont have 30grand to drop on a 350z so i didnt want to break a car that i didn't own
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

ra64t wrote:
StrangeWill wrote:
ra64t wrote: a lot of fast drag cars run automatics. Go to the track and check that american muscle, I bet half the cars are running two speed powerglides and the like.
I thought they ran computer controlled manuals.
I'm thinking more like production cars run my amateurs, like 10 second street cars, not NHRA pro.

whats a crashbox?
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=crashbox
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: