BMW 128i and 135i

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

I'm not convinced the 135 will make it to the US with the 3.0L TT. That's way too cool to actually happen. I do love the idea of the car though as it's making a 3 series in the proper size. Hopefully, like the e30s.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

SteveUK wrote:The BMW 1-Series of cars have been out for a good few years in Europe. They were sold as the smallest rear wheel dirve you can get. However, the problem with them is they were crap!

A VW Golf is faster and has much more cargo and passenger space. The only reason to by a BMW 1 Series is to have BMW on your nose and arse.
This 1-series is an all new design.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

May be so, but they 1 Series doesn't have a good name in Europe so no matter what it is like it will be difficult to recover.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

SteveUK wrote:The BMW 1-Series of cars have been out for a good few years in Europe. They were sold as the smallest rear wheel dirve you can get. However, the problem with them is they were crap!

A VW Golf is faster and has much more cargo and passenger space. The only reason to by a BMW 1 Series is to have BMW on your nose and arse.
and weren't they hatchbacks?
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

Yeah they were hatch backs.

Someone I work with had one. The problem was that the roof slopes down towards the back, leaving no head room and poor space in the boot area.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

The new 1 series probably wont take too amny sales away from the 3 series. All it is is a no frills car. Nothing comes power stock I dont believe, and a stereo and even A/C are options. Not only is it a baby size-wise, but its a baby in that it isnt fully developed with all the traditional car gizmos.
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

watkins wrote:The new 1 series probably wont take too amny sales away from the 3 series. All it is is a no frills car. Nothing comes power stock I dont believe, and a stereo and even A/C are options. Not only is it a baby size-wise, but its a baby in that it isnt fully developed with all the traditional car gizmos.
Yet its sticker price is still very developed :lol:
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

SteveUK wrote:May be so, but they 1 Series doesn't have a good name in Europe so no matter what it is like it will be difficult to recover.
Well, I hope the new 1-series is a good car and we have never seen one in the US. Over half of BMW's sales are here, so they should be starting fresh. The hatchback won't be available here either.

The 1-series is already featured on their website. The rear glass on the coupe looks just like a 2002! I think I'm in love. :lol:

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Steve, is it really a junky car and, if so, in what ways? Maybe it's that you guys have mostly smaller engines in your BMWs like the 1.8 and 2.0 that we haven't had in almost 10 years. What took me by surprise the most (or close to it) when I was in Spain was that they had Mercedes and Bimmers running around like ordinary cars, little engines, cloth seats and all. I'd imagine the 128 would be decently quick and well balanced enough to be fun to drive. Figure everyone used to love the old 325i even though we considered it underpowered (you guys probably considered it grossly overpowered); i can't imagine the 128 being slower. or is it that it's built like a 10 year-old Kia?
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

JHamilton wrote:I'm not convinced the 135 will make it to the US with the 3.0L TT. That's way too cool to actually happen. I do love the idea of the car though as it's making a 3 series in the proper size. Hopefully, like the e30s.
confirmed. goto http://www.bmwusa.com the 1 series microsite clearly lists 128i and 135i, complete with engine specs.

i checked on the BMW UK site. they are mostly 2 liter 4 cylinder petrol or diesel engines, with ~140 (118i/118d) or ~170 hp (120i/120d). there is also an I6 3 liter with ~260 hp (130i M sport). that, and the wikipedia article mentioned that Jeremy Clarkson and James May werent particularly impressed with interior materials or quality.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Dead-Eye
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Dead-Eye »

JHamilton wrote:

This 1-series is an all new design.
Would you call a 3-series coupe that's introduced a couple of years after the sedan an all new design? Because that's exactly what we're looking at, the 1-series coupe is the same car as the sedan that was introduced in 04 and slightly updated in 07, just with a different rear end.
'01 Renault Clio 1.6 16V :)
'02 Ford Mondeo 1.8 16V :(
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

so are you trying to say that the 3-series coupe and 1-series coupe are the same car with a different rear? because the 1 looks quite a bit narrower and shorter.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Dead-Eye
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Dead-Eye »

VTECaddict wrote:so are you trying to say that the 3-series coupe and 1-series coupe are the same car with a different rear? because the 1 looks quite a bit narrower and shorter.
No, the 1-series coupe is the same car as the 1-series hatch they've been selling here since '04. I was just using the 3 as an example because noone would ever think of calling a 3-coupe a completely new car, just because it's introduced a while after the 4-door.

Oh, just noticed:
the 1-series coupe is the same car as the sedan that was introduced in 04
I meant it's the same car as the hatch
'01 Renault Clio 1.6 16V :)
'02 Ford Mondeo 1.8 16V :(
papercliprebel
Senior Standardshifter

Post by papercliprebel »

the 1 coupe is just a derivative of the same 1 series 5 door and 3 door hatches that have been around. it is not an all new design in any sense of the word.

interestingly enough, it tips the scale north of 3k lbs. that is terrible, although i have no doubt all that weight has gone into giving it a 5 star crash test rating.
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

papercliprebel wrote:the 1 coupe is just a derivative of the same 1 series 5 door and 3 door hatches that have been around. it is not an all new design in any sense of the word.

interestingly enough, it tips the scale north of 3k lbs. that is terrible, although i have no doubt all that weight has gone into giving it a 5 star crash test rating.
Good to know. I guess the coupe is "all new" in a sense....all new to us in the states anyway.

3200lbs sounds like a friggen dream to me. Hell an STi & Corvette weigh about that. Many cars today are pushing 4000lbs and over.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT