Driving Sticks Shifts while Enduring Knee Pain

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Etanimulc
Senior Standardshifter

Driving Sticks Shifts while Enduring Knee Pain

Post by Etanimulc »

I developed knee trouble May 2006. I keep seeing different websites that speak of people giving up driving a manny tranny, because of knee problems. Do you all know of people w/ knee trouble thats gotten worse, or had to quit all together, because of the stress that the clutch, etc., puts on their knees. :cry:
2000 Dodge Neon (Automatic)
2004 Toyota Camry (Manual Trans.)
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

No sir, I don't. I have a bad hip and can see not being able to drive one on a daily basis in the future, but I think I could still be a weekend warrior.
Best of luck with the bum leg.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

i have knee and ankle trouble, both on my left leg. i've just got bad joints in general. my knee and ankle both hurt back when i was driving auto. when i started driving stick my ankle started hurting just a tiny bit more, but my knee started hurting less. i guess b/c i was using the muscles in my leg more and they support the joint better. since i have started walking more both my knee and ankle feel better than they used to, though they still hurt.

though i dread the day, and i imagine it will come eventually, when i can no longer physically drive a stick.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

People most often get worse pain in their body when they baby it, then stress it again. If you're always using your body, or parts of it, even if you have some pain it won't (or shouldn't) get worse over time. Arthritis and osteioporosis (however it's spelled) are other situations, though. I'm sure there are other serious medical situations, but I used to have all kinds of knee and hip problems from playing football way back in the day. My left knee and hip too, like Jomo. After driving my car for a full day, I was in agony...but now, I barely even notice it.

In short, "Take a salt tablet". :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
mistapooh
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mistapooh »

Definitely check it out with your doctor. Your knee is just bones, ligaments, and tendons so no real blood circulation to heal. I don't think it's bad to the point of giving up stick though....
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I had some partially torn tendons and some cartilage damage in my left knee from playing baseball last summer. I had surgery on it in september of last year, and its been getting progressively better, now its almost 100%. I think the stick shifting helped it, because it gives my knee some good flexing workouts, and the resistance from the clutch makes it work even better. its like fun physical therapy.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Older peopel complain alot about knee/leg pain, but it's not because it's damaged, it's because they NEVER work it out and it's just getting sore. These are the kind of people that have to continually work out their legs to get it back to normal, otherwise it get's progressively worse.

Arthritis on the other hand is a different story.
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Ouback 2.5 XT Limited

Post by the dumblonde »

I have 2 rebuilt ACLs (a cross running ligament in your knee) and major meniscus damage in both knees. I just had surgery number 3 last month to clear out some reoccurring cartilage issues in my right knee.

I'm in agreement with eaglecatcher and Nychold. Yes driving, particularly sitting in stop and go traffic for hours on end, can make me really sore. It's mostly the extra stress on my medial meniscus (the what's left of my cartilage on the right side of my right knee) that causes the most pain for me. But the ongoing work out of my knees really helps me stay moving which is an especially good thing since i don't exercise so much any more. I had less knee pain this last winter than the previous, and it was colder this winter (colder for me generally equals more pain), but i was driving stick instead of an auto. I'm pretty sure it helped.

One thing though that i really think has helped me is i take a Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplement every day. I know the beneficial evidence is mostly anecdotal still, but i can tell (ie i'm sore more) when i haven't been taking the stuff.

One note,
Nervous wrote:Arthritis on the other hand is a different story.
This is and and the same time isn't true. Arthritis can be extremely debilitating even if you've stayed active, but in many cases the best medicine for arthritis is to keep moving. But that's just my two cents.
tobigooddog

Post by tobigooddog »

the dumblonde wrote:I have 2 rebuilt ACLs (a cross running ligament in your knee) and major meniscus damage in both knees. I just had surgery number 3 last month to clear out some reoccurring cartilage issues in my right knee.
Ouch.

My dog has had hip surgery (don't ask me how much that cost). He probably wouldn't be able to get up right now if not for glucosamine and chondroitin.
JHamilton
Master Standardshifter

Post by JHamilton »

Nervous wrote:Older peopel complain alot about knee/leg pain, but it's not because it's damaged, it's because they NEVER work it out and it's just getting sore. These are the kind of people that have to continually work out their legs to get it back to normal, otherwise it get's progressively worse.

Arthritis on the other hand is a different story.
So your saying I'm old and out of shape? :P
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.

2005 Pontiac GTO 6MT
2011 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4
areben
Senior Standardshifter

Post by areben »

I have arthritis from Crohn's disease and it isn't stopping me from driving standard. I've always wanted to drive manual so I refuse to let something stop me from doing so. I'm on pretty heavy meds for RA. On really cold days though it gets super rough. Honestly, if I can do it, anyone can. As for lifestyle I'm semi-active; I walk a lot--especially around campus and at a brisk pace. I'd have to agree with everyone else that avoiding a sedentary lifestyle will probably help. [/url]
2007 Civic Si Coupe
the dumblonde
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Ouback 2.5 XT Limited

Post by the dumblonde »

tobigooddog wrote:
the dumblonde wrote:I have 2 rebuilt ACLs (a cross running ligament in your knee) and major meniscus damage in both knees. I just had surgery number 3 last month to clear out some reoccurring cartilage issues in my right knee.
Ouch.
Fun, huh? The best part is the injuries that caused all that all happened before i turned 16. Oh, how can't wait to get old have more arthritis set in! Moral of the story, don't hurt your knees!

tobigooddog wrote:My dog has had hip surgery (don't ask me how much that cost). He probably wouldn't be able to get up right now if not for glucosamine and chondroitin.
Poor puppy. Golden retriever? Some good friends have a Golden and luckily she doesn't need surgery, but her hips are way screwy. When she walks her butt migrates left of where her front is walking. She so weird.