Car Shaking On Freeway.....

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Bboy_Burst
Junior Standardshifter
Location: Merced, California, USA, North American, Earth, Solar System, etc.

Car Shaking On Freeway.....

Post by Bboy_Burst »

Recently, My Car Has Been Shaking When Driving On The Freeway. BUT, It Only Shake Between 65-75 Mph. So I'm Either Going Too Slow Or Too Fast.....Can Anyone Tell Me Whats Wrong. This Never Happen Before.
1996 Honda Civic EX (Got Stolen)
2007 Honda Civic SI
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

i've heard of this before but i forget what the problem was. my guess still would be wheel bearings, alignment, tire balancing or bad tires (worn, radial pull, rocks in grooves, over/underinflated, nail...).
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Thet'iko Nexaris
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Honda Civic

Post by Thet'iko Nexaris »

My old Grand Prix would shake badly when accelerating in 4th gear (automatic transmission). Never did figure out why as the car died on me after a short while.
2002 Honda Civic EX
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

potownrob wrote:i've heard of this before but i forget what the problem was. my guess still would be wheel bearings, alignment, tire balancing or bad tires (worn, radial pull, rocks in grooves, over/underinflated, nail...).
I agree. If you experince juddering at certain speeds especially on the motorway the first things that you should have checked are your tracking and your wheel balancing.

Your tracking may be knocked out of alignment quite easily, just by going up a kerb, or striking a large object and going over it. Most garages will check it for free and then only charge you if you need it realigning. If this is not the problem they can then find it out, but it could end up being very expensive!
Bboy_Burst
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Bboy_Burst »

Too Bad I'm Broke Right Now.....No Money To Fix Car....LOL. Hopefully, My Car Doesn't Die On Me Because I'm Nothing Without My Car.
2007 Honda Civic SI
ar39
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ar39 »

It looks like the vibrations are due to loose motor mounts or weak bushes. I suggest you get the motor mounts checked by a mechanic & inspect the bushes.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

if it was motor mounts wouldn't it be more dependent on RPM instead of speed? i vote tire balance.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
ar39
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ar39 »

If the steering wheel vibrates at those speeds, it's definitely the wheels out of balance. Moreover, the vibration is continously felt after a certain speed. But, the vibrations are observed in speed range 65-75. I believe bboy is talking about the 1996 civic & there's a good chance the motor mounts are loose. More inputs are needed to determine the actual cause.
Bboy_Burst
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Bboy_Burst »

I Don't Know A Lot Of Stuff About Cars & I Don't Want To Pay The Diagnostic Fee At A Car Shop Either. Why ?? Because The Problem Could Be Something Really Simple To Fix. And Since The Vibration Are From 65 - 75 MPH, Is It Safe To Go Faster Than 75 ??
2007 Honda Civic SI
n00b
Senior Standardshifter

Post by n00b »

Bboy_Burst wrote:I Don't Know A Lot Of Stuff About Cars & I Don't Want To Pay The Diagnostic Fee At A Car Shop Either. Why ?? Because The Problem Could Be Something Really Simple To Fix. And Since The Vibration Are From 65 - 75 MPH, Is It Safe To Go Faster Than 75 ??
Yes but 75mph is already fast (120km/h for us metric users). Your tires just need to be balanced, assuming the tires are in good condition.
initialeclipseshift
Senior Standardshifter

Post by initialeclipseshift »

I see my mom's van starts to shake when breaking the 40mph barrier and the shaking stops at 50. My uncle(mechanic) took apart the suspension and gave us a new craddle to hold the engine...have no idea what you guys call it.
Take it from 4th to 2nd and take the corner no problem ^_^
ar39
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ar39 »

initialeclipseshift wrote:I see my mom's van starts to shake when breaking the 40mph barrier and the shaking stops at 50. My uncle(mechanic) took apart the suspension and gave us a new craddle to hold the engine...have no idea what you guys call it.
In my opinion he would've replaced a bent arm in the front suspension.

Bboy - If you can't spend money now, the problem might worsen & you might have to spend more to fix that. These are common problems with old cars & one has to live with it.
Bboy_Burst
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Bboy_Burst »

Thnx For The Info...
2007 Honda Civic SI