We need to improve our driving tests here in America

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Brakefade
Senior Standardshifter

We need to improve our driving tests here in America

Post by Brakefade »

I've just about had it with these stupid ass drivers here in L.A., but I can't blame them. They studied and trained to pass a test, not so much to learn a new set of skills.

It's like telling a football player: "Ok, can you get into a three point stance? Check. Can you throw this ball 25 yards? Check. Can you catch this ball? Check. Ok you passed, you can play in the NFL now."

The test in the states are a joke, and some of the rules are just right down stupid and dangerous. I drove freaking recklessly on mine, and still passed. There needs to be a sanctioned drivers training course that must be passed. Not just a test. Plus psychological evaluations every year for every driver. I know it may cost more tax money, but tax payers will eventually be paying less money out of their pockets when the number of accidents go down. Plus many lives can be saved. AND the roads would be less clutter, since I'm sure a lot of drivers would get weeded out with such a system in place.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Werd. I know exactly what you mean.

I grew up in Va Beach, and the test I took incorporated several hours worth of driving, spread over a few days. It consisted of getting on and off interstate ramps, multiple lane changes, driving across a long 2 lane bridge.. things like that. You know, it was a real driving test. After passing that test, you felt like you earned your license.

Well, I moved a bunch of times in the past five years, and lost my original license in that time. So, when I got here to craptastic Illinois, I had to take the permit and license tests all over again. Compared to the driving test I took in Va, this one was a joke. I had some old fat guy who didn't even seem to care what was going on. He just had me go a few blocks down the street, go through a neighborhood, and then back. The whole test was maybe 5 minutes long, if that. A f*ckin monkey could pass the test here! And surprise, surprise: people around here drive like crazy idiots. I literally see something stupid being done every damn day. However, just like you said, I can't really blame them. The tests here are so damn slack.. It's a shame. (Side note: Been thinking about taking the motorcycle license test here, since it's all so easy. Of course, I'd still do my part and take a course by the MSF first.)

Anyway, I agree with you completely. I'd gladly pay a few more bucks out of my paycheck, if it meant the roads would be a safer place... Driving is a privelage, and more people need to learn that.
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

dklkse, whereabouts were you in Illinois? My mother's family is originally from VA beach (Portsmouth/Norfolk), then moved to Rockford (an hour west of Chicago).
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

hmm.. the drivig test here in Ontario (depedning on the examiner) are a tad harder than the US I guess... I actually know people who took 4 or 5 times to get their driving licence. But then again, I know people who passed because the examiner likes their attitude (o.O WTF.. you only met for less than 15 min and most of the time the student only says, ok.. uh huh... ok... yea... how the hell can you say they have good attitude!? :evil: ... sry.. getting a little ot here...) Anyways.. but yea.. compared to the rest of the world (ie: Europe), our driving tests are a walk in the park.
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Johnf514 wrote:dklkse, whereabouts were you in Illinois? My mother's family is originally from VA beach (Portsmouth/Norfolk), then moved to Rockford (an hour west of Chicago).
Hola, John. Small world! I'm in the northeast part of Illinois, near Gurnee and Waukegan. About an hour north of Chicago.
I've been to Rockford before. It's a pretty nice area. They have a great water park :D. The town is kinda shady, though, with rumors of crooked cops and such...

I will admit, it sucks here compared to the coast. I hope your mother's family is enjoying it here more than I am. I'll be back on the east syde again soon. 8)
hockeystyx16 wrote:they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

dklkse wrote: I've been to Rockford before. It's a pretty nice area. They have a great water park :D. The town is kinda shady, though, with rumors of crooked cops and such...
They do have a great waterpark! I haven't been there in years, as the family moved back to VA, but I do remember the waterpark! :D
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

Johnf514 wrote:as the family moved back to VA
Smart. 8) :lol:
bklynvw
Junior Standardshifter

Post by bklynvw »

im going for my roadtest the 21st, i think im going to pass. i hope its as easy as you make it sound.

i felt good the other day when i saw some lady RAM a car trying to get into a spot that i could have gotin into blind folded. i swear to god she turned in to the spot and hit the gas so hard she moved the car behind her lol i know i can pass the road test if she passed hers. lol

i know what your talking about though, there deffinitly should be a better test. just riding on my permit on streets at about 40mph people have done some stupid sh*t. i would not want them to be stupid on the highways.

you know some lady (again :roll: ) cursed me out cause i didnt cross the intersection when there was no room on the other side and the light turned red. i was like wtf, if i went my car would be in the intersection and your car would completly block it. so shes next to me screaming and yelling cursing so i i rolled down the window and said "i hope you die" lollololol she shut up lollol
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

bklynvw wrote: so shes next to me screaming and yelling cursing so i i rolled down the window and said "i hope you die" lollololol she shut up lollol
LOL! Nice! :D
Mike_AR
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Acura RSX

Post by Mike_AR »

bklynvw wrote: you know some lady (again :roll: ) cursed me out cause i didnt cross the intersection when there was no room on the other side and the light turned red. i was like wtf, if i went my car would be in the intersection and your car would completly block it. so shes next to me screaming and yelling cursing so i i rolled down the window and said "i hope you die" lollololol she shut up lollol
I really hate these types of drivers. Either they are stupid or they are emotionally irrational and think everyone else is always wrong. It's just common sense not to block the intersection if you can't make it all the way through.

What I like to do is quickly explain to them why their suggestion makes no sense. The look on their face when they realize how stupid their idea was is just priceless. Telling her that you hope she would die will only shut her up this time but she'll most likely yell at someone else for the same thing or worst she might yell at you again if she doesn't remember you.

A similar situation is when people waiting in the back at a stop light get impatient. Even if every car in front of them moves the instant the car in front of them moved and the first car moves the instant the light turns green, it will still take a several seconds before their car can move depending on how far back they are.

This comedian I saw had a funny story about this situation. He was waiting at a stop light and this situation came up. The guy behind him started honking and yelling and then got out of his car to yell at the comedian about why he wasn't moving his car. Since he was a comedian, instead of stating the obvious that he can't physically move his car if the car in front of him isn't moving he decided to yell back with, "No! You give me back my sweater a--hole!"

At that moment the guy thought the comedian was crazy so he quickly got back into his car and was quiet from that point on.
Brakefade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Brakefade »

This patience problem, or lack there of is one the biggest problems we have with drivers today. People need to understand that driving does not mean that you can leave your house 2 minutes before you start work. Almost always if you rush everywhere while driving in a city, you might save 1 minute of travel time at best. Yeah that 1 minute is so worth risking multiple accidents and people's lives. :roll:

One of the things I hate the most is when you're going down the road, and there is another car on the opposite side of the road waiting to make a left turn (going across the road you're traveling in). That person will some times get so impatient that he decides to try to cut you off. What will happen a lot of times is that you will brake hard, and that person will brake hard, causing a "who goes first situation".

Another one is similar to that except that you're going on the left lane, and the person waiting for the light will accelerate with you 20 feet away from them, quickly getting into your lane only and then braking hard. So now half my lane is blocked off, and there is no room for me to brake. So I'm forced to swerve into the lane next to me. I'm sure you know the dangers of doing that. Worst part is that I and the driver next to me will get into an accident, while that other person will most likely just take off.
scion_xA
Senior Standardshifter

Post by scion_xA »

dklkse wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:dklkse, whereabouts were you in Illinois? My mother's family is originally from VA beach (Portsmouth/Norfolk), then moved to Rockford (an hour west of Chicago).
Hola, John. Small world! I'm in the northeast part of Illinois, near Gurnee and Waukegan. About an hour north of Chicago.
I've been to Rockford before. It's a pretty nice area. They have a great water park :D. The town is kinda shady, though, with rumors of crooked cops and such...

I will admit, it sucks here compared to the coast. I hope your mother's family is enjoying it here more than I am. I'll be back on the east syde again soon. 8)
Hey! I used to live in Gurnee lol
2006 Scion xA
Mods: TRD Short Shifter
philcolby
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Acura TL 6-MT

Post by philcolby »

My test back in CT was 3 right turns around the block, a left turn into the parking lot and, a reverse park into a spot in the lot with no cones. Total time... 3 minutes
2005 Acura TL 6-MT and 2010 Mercedes ML450
dklkse
Master Standardshifter

Post by dklkse »

scion_xA wrote:
dklkse wrote:

Hey! I used to live in Gurnee lol
Cool. 8) I'm actually there now. It's where my office is. I live in the next town over - in Round Lake.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

In my driving test, I drove too slow, scraped the curb while parking, and did a three-point turn incorrectly. He told me that if he wasn't in such a good mood, I would have failed. I passed with a 71 (70 to pass). The thing is, I drove fairly well beforehand. I just sucked when I had someone judging me and got nervous.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT