Standardshift.com Logo and Navbar home forums faq buying guide in the press links videos
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:19 am 
Junior Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:16 pm
Posts: 69
I hear this phrase: popping the clutch many times.

IVe been driving stick for months now and know most of the slang and stuff as well as the advanced techniques, but what exactly does this mean?

_________________
2002 SOM T/A m6
1997 Black Z/28 a4


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:32 am 
Master Standardshifter

Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 pm
Posts: 2755
It's the same thing as dumping the clutch, IIRC.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:32 am 
Senior Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:35 am
Posts: 467
Location: Farmington Hills, MI
Cars: '97 Jeep, '12 Cruze
Popping the clutch refers to when the clutch is suddenly and completely released. No pause, no gradual release. Just let it go all at once. It's very hard on the drivetrain (which makes sense). Used a lot for very quick launches or burnouts.

_________________
2012 Chevy Cruze
1.4L Turbo, 6 speed

1997 Jeep Cherokee
4.0L, 5 speed


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:00 am 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 4536
Location: California, U.S.
Cars: 2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S
Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.

_________________
2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S MT
Your signature will appear like this in posts


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:47 am 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:59 pm
Posts: 8569
Location: Orlando, FL
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636
six wrote:
Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.


Yup.

_________________
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:20 pm 
Senior Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:56 pm
Posts: 831
Location: Side by Side with the shifter
Johnf514 wrote:
six wrote:
Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.


Yup.



ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:

_________________
Take it from 4th to 2nd and take the corner no problem ^_^


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:43 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:47 am
Posts: 2540
Location: Anaheim, CA
Cars: 04 xB
initialeclipseshift wrote:
ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:


Actually, it causes wear but it is not that hard on the clutch as there is only minimal slippage. However, hammering the transmission, differential, constant velocity joints, crankshafts, connecting rods, piston pins, etc. etc. etc. is not a good idea.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:38 am 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:52 am
Posts: 7338
Location: Hiding behind the dancing Peter Griffin
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT
scionkid wrote:
initialeclipseshift wrote:
ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:


Actually, it causes wear but it is not that hard on the clutch as there is only minimal slippage. However, hammering the transmission, differential, constant velocity joints, crankshafts, connecting rods, piston pins, etc. etc. etc. is not a good idea.


damn, you beat me to it lol... Yea.. you'll get a nice choke from the seatbelt :shock:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 pm 
Junior Standardshifter

Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:08 pm
Posts: 94
poping the cluch is just getting off the clutch very hard like instead of moving your foot up, you pull it in to you and the clutch shoots up.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:11 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2003 1:47 am
Posts: 2540
Location: Anaheim, CA
Cars: 04 xB
uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:53 pm 
Senior Standardshifter

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:58 am
Posts: 789
initialeclipseshift wrote:
Johnf514 wrote:
six wrote:
Popping the clutch is even worse than dumping it. When you dump the clutch, you release the clutch really fast. When you pop it, you basically slide your foot off of the clutch and allow it to spring up by itself.


Yup.



ehhh that must suck to smell that after a few times :shock:


you wouldnt smell nothing because your not slipping the clutch


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:15 pm 
Master Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:52 am
Posts: 7338
Location: Hiding behind the dancing Peter Griffin
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT
scionkid wrote:
uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:


Ah right... I was thinking of downishifting and not rev matching then poping hte clutch... i guess...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:01 pm 
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:01 pm
Posts: 10226
Location: AWD Turbo Nirvana
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)
Sypher wrote:
scionkid wrote:
uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:


Ah right... I was thinking of downishifting and not rev matching then poping hte clutch... i guess...


yeah when i first got my car i did a few way underrevved downshifts to 2nd and let off the clutch real fast and i heard tire squeal and the seatbelt hurt me :(

_________________
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 7:34 pm 
Senior Standardshifter
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:49 pm
Posts: 592
Location: Chicagoland, IN
jomotopia wrote:
Sypher wrote:
scionkid wrote:
uh, Sypher, unless you're talking about reverse, you get a kick in the ass for clutch poping :wink:


Ah right... I was thinking of downishifting and not rev matching then poping hte clutch... i guess...


yeah when i first got my car i did a few way underrevved downshifts to 2nd and let off the clutch real fast and i heard tire squeal and the seatbelt hurt me :(


Dang, that must be some quick acceleration.

_________________
2006 Scion xA
Mods: TRD Short Shifter


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group