Audio On A Budget...

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
RookieStickshifter
Senior Standardshifter

Audio On A Budget...

Post by RookieStickshifter »

Evenin' guys...Now, I need some serious help on matters regarding an audio system! In my little Pontiac I've got these crappy 4" Panasonic speakers in the dash and rear...My headunit is some budget-as AM/FM Radio with Tape player... :shock: [Yes, even in this age...] Hahaha, anyway I'm looking to upgrade to a decent CD/MP3 Headunit and some decent speakers.

As I'm not made of money, for the time being I'd just like a pair of good-quality speakers and a headunit. I'll get an amp/sub and rear speakers some other time :oops: I'd like to just stick with the aftermarket 4" speakers instead of mounting some 6.5" or something in the doors.

The question I'm asking you guys is because I'm not gonna be using an external amp for the timebeing, I need my internal amp on the headunit to be powerful enough to drive my speakers. The speakers I'm looking at all pretty much have a PEAK POWER RATING of about 95~110W and an RMS of 35W or so, they are just under $170 NZ.

Now if I were to buy a headunit to adequately power these speakers, what kinda power rating on the headunit would I need?

RookieStickshifter 8)
[1994 Honda Integra ZX] Is Proud To Be 0.74% Of Standardshift.com!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Wal-Mart and Target have some excellent name-brand head units for under $150 that meet your requirements. They sell great 4" speakers as well. Actually, if you're frugal, you could redo your car's entire audio system for about $250, granted you know how to install.

You can find some hot deals online, but I'd be wary. My brother bought off eBay what he thought were Rockford Fosgate 6" speakers but were actually just stock car speakers in a RF box. Gotta watch those eBayers. Other sites might be a bit more reputable. Also, if you find a "Powerseller" (my brother bought from a private seller) then you'll have more luck.

The key is to realize that anyone can sell you the item; it just depends on who makes it. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
littleman09z
Senior Standardshifter

Post by littleman09z »

So how much is your budget?
I have found that Circuit City has a nice area for higher end and low end decks and speakers. While I find a place that species in audio will get you the best for least amount of money.
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

Best Buy all the way. Their prices are good, they install it for you, and you can purchase a warranty plan that is good for up to 2 years I think. No questions asked if something goes wrong, bring it back and they will fix it.

You could probably get a pretty decent system (head unit, amp, sub, speakers) installed for under $750ish.
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S
MCS21
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MCS21 »

Wait didn't read your whole post. Just a head unit and speakers from Best Buy would probably run you about $300-350 US. ALso didn't see you were in NZ. So Best Buy probably isn't an option unless you are for very long trips :lol:
-Chris
-'06 Mini Cooper S