Automatic drivers hate to drive!? Its boring???

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Automatic drivers hate to drive!? Its boring???

Post by s4rge »

What is this? Everytime i hear, "i dont feel like driving"!! Omgwtfbbq... i love getting out and driving my car. Wether its night or morning time i love getting in the car and driving! Left foot.. right foot.. right hand... left foot.. right foot.. simon says is all it is =) Vhroom.. control them RPM's... left foot.. right foot. I mean i see why people who only drive automatics hate driving and say its boring. Well, getting out there and banging gears and starting on hills is all the fun you need to make driving fun. You know when you drive around all automatic car friends and there all amazed like its something only a few select can do and its not. I would drive anywhere if i had the gas and was good with directions and maps, but unforunatlty i must have a disorder with reading maps and knowing what street im on lmfao.

Anyways it would get boring in slushies also just using my right foot and steering :cry: . Come on downshifting before a turn is better than just signaling and braking and turning than getting back on the gas :/.

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: Same everyday thing wiht automatics but with manuals every day will be differnt since noting will be the same.. 1 day you may have to downshift to slow down for turning traffic.. and somedays you can just upshift your little heart out :arrow: :arrow: :wink:
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
Audiphile
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Audiphile »

I think as standard shift drivers we are in a different class of drivers. we seek to enjoy the benefits of our cars; we enjoy the challenge of learning to use our cars to their greatest (or greater) potentials....Auto drivers can have robots as their chauffeurs since it's a brainless activity. that explains why they are always yaking away on their cell phones and causing accidents.
Honda Civic 5-speed.
VTEC is poor man's turbo
Thet'iko Nexaris
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Honda Civic

Post by Thet'iko Nexaris »

Audiphile wrote:that explains why they are always yaking away on their cell phones and causing accidents.
Accidents are caused by stupidity. Stupidity is rooted in everyone. Transmission choice has nothing to do with it.

It's not just auto drivers who talk on cell phones and cause accidents. I once saw a manual driver talking on a cell while driving, phone in one hand, shifter in the other, none on the steering wheel.
2002 Honda Civic EX
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

Audiphile wrote:I think as standard shift drivers we are in a different class of drivers. we seek to enjoy the benefits of our cars; we enjoy the challenge of learning to use our cars to their greatest (or greater) potentials....Auto drivers can have robots as their chauffeurs since it's a brainless activity. that explains why they are always yaking away on their cell phones and causing accidents.
Expanding on that, I think the type of drivers we are made us choose a manual tranny in the first place. Why would people who don't like driving go out of their way to make driving even more difficult? So I think it's more that the type of person who doesn't like driving will more likely choose an automatic over a manual, and thus the statistics.
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

Funny, that. I didn't really like driving until I got my manual, I just felt that, darn it, I should know how to drive the thing. I know how it works in theory, it seemed a shame to not make it work in practice.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

speaking of automatic driver, as the light turned green, i was the second car waiting to go. Then somehow I stalled (first stall in a while...). Yesterday was the forst time someone behind me honked me after i stalled. I swear some people just dont have any f**king patients to wait 2 seconds!! I bet that a$$ was a slushie driver :evil: ...

anyways, that was my rant... now back to your regularly scheduled prgramming... :arrow:
Krakilin
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Krakilin »

That is so true, I used to drive an auto and there are times I don't want to drive cuz I'm tired or it's a long drive etc. But now that I have an standard, I want to drive all the time
2005 Mazda 3 GT, Metallic Black, GFX package (17inch rim, moonroof, sporty bumpers), Spoiler, 5MT.
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Post by s4rge »

Krakilin wrote:That is so true, I used to drive an auto and there are times I don't want to drive cuz I'm tired or it's a long drive etc. But now that I have an standard, I want to drive all the time
:lol: me 2. I just left and went to mc donalds just for a $1 double cheeseburger with nothing else lmfao. Than lstnight i went to the post office to drop off a box. Than i take the longer way home just so i can use the standard transmission more. SMMH.... Gas>me
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

s4rge wrote:
Krakilin wrote:Gas>me
Right now gas here is only $1.89/gallon. Ah, life is good.
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

Wow... I havne't seen gas that cheap since... at least a year ago. Here, gas (cheap stuff) is at $2.32/gal and I live near the two cheapest gas stations in the city. And when I visit my folks, I cry, because gas is $0.40-$0.50 more expensive there.
starshifter
Senior Standardshifter

Post by starshifter »

I now pay about $2.49/gallon for Chevron 93 octane. It seems my FRC doesn't like anything else.
Bboy_Burst
Junior Standardshifter
Location: Merced, California, USA, North American, Earth, Solar System, etc.

Post by Bboy_Burst »

Yup....I Think Its True That Automatic Drivers Are More Lazy When It Comes To Driving.....I Talk On The Phone, Eat, & Drive My Car At The Same Time...hahahaha.....I Also Change Clothing (My Shirt) On The Freeway Once, But That Shit Was Crazy & Scary...I Recommend Putting The Phone On Speaker For Those That Can't Talk & And Drive Stick Shift At The Same Time.....BUT My Friend Proved This Theory Wrong, He Always Complain About Not Wanting To Drive..
1996 Honda Civic EX (Got Stolen)
2007 Honda Civic SI
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

I've said it before and i'll say it again. driving a stick is a safety feature.

you have to pay attention to the road when driving a standard. i hate these stupid auto drivers who never pay attention to the road, talk on thier cell phones and park 3inches behind your bumper. what happend to driving a car. if it were up to me the only things in the interior of a car would be 2 seats a shift knob a tach a steering wheel the and four pedals. [/i]
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Thank god it wasn't up to you to design an interior; I'd be freezing my ass off on cold -20'C mornings sitting in my car w/ no climate controls :lol:. Nor can I tell how fast I'm going :lol:
uh2lsaab
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 97 Saab 900 S 06 9-3 SC

Disagree on automatic drivers not enjoying driving, safety

Post by uh2lsaab »

If a car with an automatic has good road feel, steering, handling, and nice transmission shift scheduling and shift quality, it can be enjoyable to drive. I still love driving my 1997 900 S 2.3L automatic with 118,000 miles. It doesn't have lots of power, but it has a nice flat torque curve and the feel it has over bumps and the firm steering and smoothness of the engine make me never want to sell that car. I also, like to drive it long road trips and I pay attention when I drive.

As far as safety goes, inattention is one thing, but I have to say that automatics are safer because in an emergency, you don't have to think as much and you won't stall out. In duress, your mind might not work as well as usual. Stalling out in the middle of a collision event could get you into serious trouble.

That being said, I do love to drive my new 9-3 SportCombi manual too. I'm getting a better feel for shifting after one month of owning it.

Take it easy,
Atul
http://www.realitydriven.com
2006 Saab 9-3 SportCombi (2.0 T manual)
1997 Saab 900 S (2.3 auto)