How do you warm up a car

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Nasir
Junior Standardshifter

How do you warm up a car

Post by Nasir »

What's a good way of warming up your car if you only have a minute to do it?
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

turn it on and leave it in neutral... that's all you can do...
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Nasir
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nasir »

Cruel Night wrote:turn it on and leave it in neutral... that's all you can do...
Yeah I know that, I just meant that if there are anyways to speed that up that wouldn't hurt the car.Like giving it gas?
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Cruel Night »

give it gas and you'll just waste it.. and depending on your climate, you can damage your engine.. for example, ehre in winnipeg, during the winter you never want to give it gas because the oil is too thick, and thus increasing engine wear...
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Nasir
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nasir »

Cruel Night wrote:give it gas and you'll just waste it.. and depending on your climate, you can damage your engine.. for example, ehre in winnipeg, during the winter you never want to give it gas because the oil is too thick, and thus increasing engine wear...
So reving up the engine while its cold is bad for the car?
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Cruel Night »

yes, because the oil is thicker, and thus does not flow as easily through out the engine, and consequently, the important parts don't get lubed as efficiently and effectively as they would once the engine has warmed up slowly.
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Nasir
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nasir »

Cruel Night wrote:yes, because the oil is thicker, and thus does not flow as easily through out the engine, and consequently, the important parts don't get lubed as efficiently and effectively as they would once the engine has warmed up slowly.
So what should I do in the mornings because my car is absolutely freezing and I'm always in a hurry to get to school
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

well wake up 5 mins earlier so the car can stay in neutral for 5 mins
'06 SEAT Ibiza
Cody
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 GTI

Post by Cody »

I know in my Jetta, the manual suggests using the absolute least necessary warm up time, and just driving the car very gently until the car comes to running temp. What I do is turn it on and let it run for 30 seconds to a minute, enough for the rpms to drop to normal idle. I then drive the car slowly. It's an auto, so when I give it light gas it shifts around 2500 rpms. The car warms up very quickly this way. On the other hand, I can turn it on and let it sit outside for 10 minutes, and it barely gets lukewarm.

Cody
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

well if your car has a block heater, you can plug it in over night and your engine will not need as long of a warm up time.
Nasir
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Nasir »

Cody wrote:I know in my Jetta, the manual suggests using the absolute least necessary warm up time, and just driving the car very gently until the car comes to running temp. What I do is turn it on and let it run for 30 seconds to a minute, enough for the rpms to drop to normal idle. I then drive the car slowly. It's an auto, so when I give it light gas it shifts around 2500 rpms. The car warms up very quickly this way. On the other hand, I can turn it on and let it sit outside for 10 minutes, and it barely gets lukewarm.

Cody
Thanks

My jetta takes forever to reach the midway point between hot and cold.Usually 5-9 minutes of actual driving
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

just drive it gently until it reaches normal operating temp.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Cody
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2010 GTI

Post by Cody »

Nasir: Mine takes this long as well if I'm easy on it until it actuallyr eaches full operating temp. Usually once I see it get into the readable zone of the guage (beyond the three solid lines, and into the graduated area), then I push it a little more and the last half of warming up goes much more quickly.

Cody
allaboutme
Junior Standardshifter

Post by allaboutme »

You warm up the engine by driving the car. Start the car up and go, but never let the car idle in the mornings.

If you live in colder climates, get yourself an engine heater. Again, don't let the car idle. I don't know why people are even suggesting the idea... I am completely serious here.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

allaboutme wrote:You warm up the engine by driving the car. Start the car up and go, but never let the car idle in the mornings.

If you live in colder climates, get yourself an engine heater. Again, don't let the car idle. I don't know why people are even suggesting the idea... I am completely serious here.
not exactly true. I guess it depends on the car. In my car manual, it says to warm the engine up for around a minuite. The reason being it is to allow all the metal used in the engine work together sort of to speak....

btw, the car is a 01 civic, D17 engine... not sure if its for this engine only or other ones in the honda line too...