Is it bad to keep it in low rpm

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Roberdito
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roberdito »

A quick question. For optimum acceleration, should the rpms not dip below the torque or hp rpms?
You would want to shift at the 3400, which would be the torque RPMs, because past at that point the torque maxes in that gear. Next gear!

On the other hand... lets say your haulin' ass on the freeway... :wink:... you would want 4800. Keep your speed up. :D
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Roberdito wrote:
A quick question. For optimum acceleration, should the rpms not dip below the torque or hp rpms?
You would want to shift at the 3400, which would be the torque RPMs, because past at that point the torque maxes in that gear. Next gear!

On the other hand... lets say your haulin' ass on the freeway... :wink:... you would want 4800. Keep your speed up. :D
For max acceleration you want to shift so that you land at peak torque rpms in the next gear, which for you probably means shifting up at at least 4k rpms, depending on the gear ratio spread.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

K thanks for the info guys... was always wondering htat :) question answered 8)
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Someone is coming up on their Masterstandardshifter title, potownrob! :D :!:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Johnf514 wrote:Someone is coming up on their Masterstandardshifter title, potownrob! :D :!:

Im almost there with roughly 250 more posts...