Angular Gas pedals

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Angular Gas pedals

Postby bk7794 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:22 pm

You know what I've been finding? Brake pedals that are too far left. I drive a Camry every now and then and find that the brake pedal to be so far over to the left. It makes sitting at a light pretty obnoxious. I have also been noticing that many automakers make their gas pedals completely straight up and down. Image below. I have seen that Dodge is the only company, that I have come across, that has the slanted gas pedal, Image also below(Camaro pedals).

I feel the slanted pedal mimics how your feet naturally rest and makes for a more comfortable ride. I mean, think about it, tractor trailer trucks don't have the same pedal setup a car does. The drivers would go insane.

Uncomfortable brake pedal and gas pedal location
Image

Comfortable (looking) gas pedal...I couldn't find a good Dodge Photo so here is a Camaro
Image

Tractor trailer pedal
Image
Last edited by bk7794 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:28 pm

I've never really paid much attention, but will now (thanks Burger King! Jeez). I will say Bubonic Freddie is the first car I've owned with a bottom hinging petrol pedal. The pedals are also set up in such a way as to make a traditional heel-toe possible.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby bk7794 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:41 pm

When did you buy a Mazda?
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3765
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby tankinbeans » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 pm

bk7794 wrote:When did you buy a Mazda?

Just over a month ago. Because cheaper.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14602
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby AHTOXA » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:22 pm

Normally, I am not too picky about pedals. I do like them a certain way, but I've hardly had issues getting used to certain variations and positions.

Until I drove a rental Ford Expedition a few weeks ago. The brake pedal's placement was so awkward, that it was forcing my knee to be twisted in a way that gave me serious knee discomfort and pain. This has never happened in any other vehicle that I recall driving.

As for tractor trailers, you have to account for the seating position. The distance from the floor to the top of the seat is higher than in a passenger car, so the pedals have to accommodate. In their case, the direction of leg travel to engage is more downward than in a passenger car with a low seat, where it is more forward.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby IMBoring25 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 am

Every vehicle I've ever owned (and most I've driven) has had a diagonal gas pedal. All I've owned and most I've driven have also had something else in common...RWD. The larger transmission tunnel likely leads the footbox to be laid out in a way that a diagonal gas pedal makes sense.

Is that Camry from before or after "unintended acceleration?" I would guess that layout is from after that brouhaha and a direct result of it.

Funny you mention Dodge. My recently-acquired Ram is the first manual I've driven that was set up in a way that I would describe as horrible for heel-and-toe. It bothered me enough that I made a (gas) pedal extender for it.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby Rope-Pusher » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:48 am

IMBoring25 wrote:Every vehicle I've ever owned (and most I've driven) has had a diagonal gas pedal. All I've owned and most I've driven have also had something else in common...RWD. The larger transmission tunnel likely leads the footbox to be laid out in a way that a diagonal gas pedal makes sense.

Is that Camry from before or after "unintended acceleration?" I would guess that layout is from after that brouhaha and a direct result of it.

Funny you mention Dodge. My recently-acquired Ram is the first manual I've driven that was set up in a way that I would describe as horrible for heel-and-toe. It bothered me enough that I made a (gas) pedal extender for it.

Unless you are a bored, certified Podiatrist, you shouldn't be goin' round healing toes - that's a job for a perfessnull!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

User avatar
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1509
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:16 am
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)
Location: Central CT

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby bk7794 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:28 pm

AHTOXA wrote:Normally, I am not too picky about pedals. I do like them a certain way, but I've hardly had issues getting used to certain variations and positions.

Until I drove a rental Ford Expedition a few weeks ago. The brake pedal's placement was so awkward, that it was forcing my knee to be twisted in a way that gave me serious knee discomfort and pain. This has never happened in any other vehicle that I recall driving.

As for tractor trailers, you have to account for the seating position. The distance from the floor to the top of the seat is higher than in a passenger car, so the pedals have to accommodate. In their case, the direction of leg travel to engage is more downward than in a passenger car with a low seat, where it is more forward.


i see where you're coming from. Though I drive an Econoline every now and again. I must admit, their narrow footwell makes it terrible at times.

I definitely hear what you're saying about the Expedition brake pedal. That's the same way in my Camry. So obnoxious to drive.

IMBoring25 wrote:Every vehicle I've ever owned (and most I've driven) has had a diagonal gas pedal. All I've owned and most I've driven have also had something else in common...RWD. The larger transmission tunnel likely leads the footbox to be laid out in a way that a diagonal gas pedal makes sense.

Is that Camry from before or after "unintended acceleration?" I would guess that layout is from after that brouhaha and a direct result of it.

Funny you mention Dodge. My recently-acquired Ram is the first manual I've driven that was set up in a way that I would describe as horrible for heel-and-toe. It bothered me enough that I made a (gas) pedal extender for it.


What car do you drive? I'm drawing a blank.

Seems that pedal is post unintended acceleration. The only thing they did was give it that more diamond shape. It used to be square.

Yeah, the pedals aren't sport, though they're just for cruising.
2000 Honda Civic EX 5 Speed
Volvo S60R 6 Speed - Sold

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby IMBoring25 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:01 pm

Currently:

'89 Grand Marquis (5.0L V8/4A/RWD)
'93 Corvette (5.7L V8/6M/RWD)
'08 Ram 2500 (6.7L TD I6/6M/4WD)
'11 Road Glide Ultra (1.7L V2/6M/RWD)

Previously:

'97 Chevy C1500 (4.3L V6 -> 5.0L V8/5M/RWD)
'93 Vulcan 750 (0.8L V2/5M/RWD)

Obviously the diagonal gas pedal discussion excepts the motorcycles.

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15690
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby watkins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:18 am

Ive always found the manual 2500/3500 Rams to be pretty comfortable to drive. Its interesting that you find it not to be so. I don't think Ive ever heard any complaints or seen any modifications.
Image

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15988
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby theholycow » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:24 am

Remembered this thread this morning and looked at 2003 Sunfire's go-pedal. It's very similar in shape and position to the first photo with the uncomfortable brake pedal. Didn't remember to get a good look at the brake pedal though.

In practice it's not a problem at all. The throttle system is well adjusted/tuned and the pedal doesn't require a fully-planted foot. The pedal is firmly attached to its rod, not floppy or hinged, so the edge of the toe can be used to lightly feather it in a dignified way and a sideways foot making a T with the pedal can floor it as easily as a fully planted foot. The same foot can pivot quickly to the brake pedal, which is exactly where I expect it to be (by feel).

Come to think of it, I wonder if securing the Buick's pedal fore/top end to its rod so it floats more and has good toe leverage would be an improvement. I've never had a complaint about that pedal, but IIRC I fully plant my foot for fine control on that one. It has the classic GM pedal design from at least the 1970s-1990s if not a wider span of time...well, the accelerator pedal anyway. I moved the brake pedal to "better not wear boots if you don't want unintended HT" territory. ;)

Image

Image
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3282
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby IMBoring25 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:49 am

watkins wrote:Ive always found the manual 2500/3500 Rams to be pretty comfortable to drive. Its interesting that you find it not to be so. I don't think Ive ever heard any complaints or seen any modifications.


It's plenty comfortable in normal usage but the gas pedal in stock form is a couple of inches deeper than the brake which, if you want to heel-and-toe it, leaves the toe pointed almost straight forward and eliminates your fine control of the individual pedals.

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15690
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby watkins » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:14 pm

Ahh. I always big toe/little toe, so it never bothers me.

What does bother me is forgetting what I'm driving and accidentally using first instead of second from stops.
Image

bobklobb
Junior Standardshifter
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:08 pm
Cars: 1999 Saturn SC2

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby bobklobb » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:26 pm

IMBoring25 wrote:
watkins wrote:Ive always found the manual 2500/3500 Rams to be pretty comfortable to drive. Its interesting that you find it not to be so. I don't think Ive ever heard any complaints or seen any modifications.


It's plenty comfortable in normal usage but the gas pedal in stock form is a couple of inches deeper than the brake which, if you want to heel-and-toe it, leaves the toe pointed almost straight forward and eliminates your fine control of the individual pedals.


I noticed this in my Dakota as well. Tried heel toe once in it and found I had to nearly floor the brake to actually hit the gas with any precision. Granted this is a truck so it's not really an issue not being able to heel toe, I had wanted to practice :(

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: Angular Gas pedals

Postby six » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:45 am

What are you guys doing heel-toeing in trucks??
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT


Return to “Tranny Talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest