Downshift Fail!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 GTI

Downshift Fail!

Post by MidnightInGotham »

This morning on my way to work, I was going to attempt a quick heel toe just to practice (first attempt). It's early and I'm trying to concentrate...slowing down, moderate breaking...moved the stick from 6>5 and completely forgot the clutch!!!!!!! :shock:

Now there were no grinding sounds or anything alarming from a feel or sound standpoint and the effort was not extreme. Obviously don't ever do this, but did I do any damage here? I'm still fairly new to this but this one made me want to curl into the fetal position and cry myself to sleep.

Please let me know what I'm in for!
2016 Volkswagen GTI Autobahn Performance Pack
IMBoring25

Re: Downshift Fail!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Nope...If you've done any damage at all there should be either noises or excessive shift effort.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

IMBoring25 wrote:Nope...If you've done any damage at all there should be either noises or excessive shift effort.
Gosh, that's a great thing to hear. I mean I had my music on and such but I would imagine I'd hear something over that.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

You'll find "experts" all over the web who will say they only use the clutch to start moving and then no-clutch it from there forward. If the car is in the same number of pieces as before and no sounds are emanating from inappropriate places you're likely fine.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

Also what type of wear would this cause? I assume synchro? Gears?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

MidnightInGotham wrote:Also what type of wear would this cause? I assume synchro? Gears?
From what I've learned this would likely lead to increased wear on your synchros as the gears themselves are in constant mesh.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The gear portions of the gears are in constant mesh, but there are dog teeth on the faces of the gear that interface with the collar to engage specific gears. That interface is where the potential damage can occur when you hear grinding.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

IMBoring25 wrote:The gear portions of the gears are in constant mesh, but there are dog teeth on the faces of the gear that interface with the collar to engage specific gears. That interface is where the potential damage can occur when you hear grinding.
Is this typically pretty loud when it happens? Like I said I had my music on but didn't hear anything. Also the car went into 5th just fine after that.

Would I notice something if there was damage. Car only has 6k miles on it so I'm hoping nothing is wrong.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It's not hard to do what you did. Everybody slips up and does it a few times. The guys who designed and built your car know that, and it's made to survive without damage.

When you do it usually it will grind, but sometimes it'll just snap right into place. You may not have heard it because loud music but you probably would have felt it very obviously in the shifter; it sounds like for you, this time, it just snapped in.

If there was damage or notable wear, you wouldn't be asking us...you'd be telling us. It would be obvious and you'd probably have brought it to a professional already, but if not then you'd be telling us about the clear and obvious symptom that you have now.

Everything is fine and there's nothing to worry about.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

It's really kind of crazy to think about but I play out this scenario in my head all the time (w/o actually doing it) but I usually come to the conclusion that I'm impressed that I haven't accidentally forgot one of the thousands of times of changing a gear.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I had this happen last week. I was chaging lane, and was 3/4 into my desired lane, when all of a sudden some moron comes wandering over into my front fender. I swerved back right and tried to hit 3rd, but wound up in an unrevmatched first gear; the clutch was an afterthought.

I wound up chirping the tires after a 5000 rpm 1st gear downshift.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Last week I was driving my car. Downshifted into third and for some reason started letting the clutch out before I put it into third. Needless to say I felt and heard the gears grinding. Third still works as before.

Doing it once in a while won't do any excess damage. Just don't make a habit of it.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

bk7794 wrote:Last week I was driving my car. Downshifted into third and for some reason started letting the clutch out before I put it into third. Needless to say I felt and heard the gears grinding. Third still works as before.

Doing it once in a while won't do any excess damage. Just don't make a habit of it.
For my own sanity, did you have music on in your car and could you clearly hear the grind over that?
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

tankinbeans wrote:I had this happen last week. I was chaging lane, and was 3/4 into my desired lane, when all of a sudden some moron comes wandering over into my front fender. I swerved back right and tried to hit 3rd, but wound up in an unrevmatched first gear; the clutch was an afterthought.

I wound up chirping the tires after a 5000 rpm 1st gear downshift.
So you went from 4>1 accidentally with no clutch? Any grind? That one surprises me because I think my car locks me out of first above like 6 mph on a downshift.
MidnightInGotham
Junior Standardshifter

theholycow wrote:It's not hard to do what you did. Everybody slips up and does it a few times. The guys who designed and built your car know that, and it's made to survive without damage.

When you do it usually it will grind, but sometimes it'll just snap right into place. You may not have heard it because loud music but you probably would have felt it very obviously in the shifter; it sounds like for you, this time, it just snapped in.

If there was damage or notable wear, you wouldn't be asking us...you'd be telling us. It would be obvious and you'd probably have brought it to a professional already, but if not then you'd be telling us about the clear and obvious symptom that you have now.

Everything is fine and there's nothing to worry about.
Thanks Cow, you always put my mind at ease.