17 impreza dropping the manual

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: 17 impreza dropping the manual

Post by potownrob »

Teamwork wrote:
theholycow wrote:Ok, so I just checked. It appears that the Forester and Crosstrek both still offer row-your-own for 2017.
I stand corrected here. Didn't realize it was still alive and well in the Forester and Crosstrek. Just read an article that Audi is offering no cost manual transmission across all trims.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2017-audi- ... im-levels/

Bizarre since the A3/S3 there's nothing to speak of and really across the board (EVEN THE TT SOMEHOW) they pretty much abandoned it. Getting a manual transmission though at a rate that includes an expensive DSG is pretty crappy but at least it's an option.
ok phew; thought i was in an evil parallel universe there... yeah, forester manual FTW!! even tony has one!! when i test drove the manual forester, i also was considering a namual impreza hatch. all they had on the lot were manual base sedans. not sure if the manual sport premium hatches are much nicer, but that manual sedan was budget to the core, and lacking in power, fun, etc. the forester was polar opposite: fun, quick, engaging, comfortable, torquey... based on that, i can't imagine choosing the crosstrek over the forester, unless it HAS to fit in a certain sized parking spot or garage bay... :? :lol:

edit: and what's annoying (yet shouldn't surprise me) is they probably kept the old crosstrek as a new model while also having the new regular impreza. they pulled that with the wrx too, and people still paid top dollar for the outdated wrx. :evil:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:they pulled that with the wrx too, and people still paid top dollar for the outdated wrx. :evil:
That's excellent. Big companies get so self-important telling us what we should want that they cease listening to what we tell them we want. It sounds like Subaru was listening to what the buyers want and making what sells.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

On Subaru forums there's MPG threads. It seems there's not much difference with the 6-speed manual Outback (2010-2014) vs. the CVT. Highway MPGs typically exceed 30. I wonder if the CVT is really ~2 MPG better as indicated on fueleconomy.gov - I'm thinking maybe not.