Big center consoles

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Big center consoles

Post by bk7794 »

Anyone notice how big center consoles are getting? Especially in FWD cars?

I took a look at a VW Golf Sportwagen today. A nice car, seats were perfect, dash was nice. Car was just absolutely beautiful and put a smile on my face. I then put my foot on the gas and noticed my leg hit this massive center console right next to the shifter. I have a few friends that have the MK3 Focus as well and the same thing happens.

Anybody else noticing this and how are you getting around this. I miss ideally having no center console like the old bench front seats...but you can't really get those cars with a stick.

Here are some examples:

Not mine

2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Big center consoles

Post by potownrob »

i noticed the console sticking out when i first drove the golf (and gti). i quickly got used to it and no longer notice it. not sure how the spacing is on the manuals. out of curiosity, why did you drive the sportwagen over the regular golf (or gti)?? :|

edit: did the one you drove have the big panoramic roof?? :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Not a boat thread. :(
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

DCT plus heat!? Hiss hiss.

The center console thing doesn't really bug me too terribly much. Then again I pretty much rest my knee there depending on where my seat is relative to the wheel and pedals. If I can manage to drive a touch further back it's not as intrusive.

My one gripe with the console in my Focus is that there isn't temporary storage for the keys and other accoutrements, meaning that I generally have to hurl keys, phone, wallet in the front seat and hope I don't take any corners zu schnell. Temporary storage was one place where my friend's Jetta excelled. The little hole in front of the shitter was perfect for placing everyday detritus.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I'm not sure it's getting any worse in general, but it's been a problem in various models ever since the switch from column shifted automatics to console shifted. It was one of my biggest problems with my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am. The width for my knees was insufficient and they'd hurt after an hour of driving thanks to constantly pushing against the console and door.

With some vehicles I'd consider removing as much of the center console as possible and just leaving it as open space or putting in something more functional for me. For example, if I got a regular cab pickup with bucket seats, that space between the seats (instead of a bulky console) would give me somewhere to put stuff like a backpack.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

IMBoring25 wrote:Not a boat thread. :(
Even if it were, it doesnt apply to me.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

So News...I drove a 2015 Focus today. I like. The center console was noticeable but it wasn't hurting my knee like it does when I sit on the passenger side. However, as I will state below, I'm worried about longer drives. The drive was about 25 minutes or so with a lot of shifting so I was pretty impressed.
theholycow wrote:I'm not sure it's getting any worse in general, but it's been a problem in various models ever since the switch from column shifted automatics to console shifted. It was one of my biggest problems with my 1997 Pontiac Grand Am. The width for my knees was insufficient and they'd hurt after an hour of driving thanks to constantly pushing against the console and door.

With some vehicles I'd consider removing as much of the center console as possible and just leaving it as open space or putting in something more functional for me. For example, if I got a regular cab pickup with bucket seats, that space between the seats (instead of a bulky console) would give me somewhere to put stuff like a backpack.
That's what I fear. How will it be for long drives. I love the Taurus I drive because it basically has a front bench seat. Though the door has a bit of a sharp angle where my leg hits. Still, the seat makes up for it.

The center console does give it a beautiful look though.
potownrob wrote:i noticed the console sticking out when i first drove the golf (and gti). i quickly got used to it and no longer notice it. not sure how the spacing is on the manuals. out of curiosity, why did you drive the sportwagen over the regular golf (or gti)?? :|

I just sat in one...unfortunately they knew I was a tire kicker :/

In regards to the console, I felt like kicking the damn thing...I felt like claustrophobic. Insurance would be a great deal more expensive for a GTI

Its essentially the same car as well.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I know the gimick for Ford seems to be cockpit style driver focused motoring. Are you tall, short or average? I was in mine for a good 200 miles the other day and I didn't have any major issues, but that might be becauae I'm 5'9" 190lbs (relatively small).

I know the 2015 cabin received some minor updates, but the shape is generally the same.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Will reply when on real computer; too hard to get quotes right on phone... :x
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:So News...I drove a 2015 Focus today. I like. The center console was noticeable but it wasn't hurting my knee like it does when I sit on the passenger side. However, as I will state below, I'm worried about longer drives. The drive was about 25 minutes or so with a lot of shifting so I was pretty impressed.
does it have lumbar support?? if not, long drives may not be fun.
That's what I fear. How will it be for long drives. I love the Taurus I drive because it basically has a front bench seat. Though the door has a bit of a sharp angle where my leg hits. Still, the seat makes up for it.

The center console does give it a beautiful look though.
good seats can solve the world's problems (well not really, but you know what i mean).
potownrob wrote:i noticed the console sticking out when i first drove the golf (and gti). i quickly got used to it and no longer notice it. not sure how the spacing is on the manuals. out of curiosity, why did you drive the sportwagen over the regular golf (or gti)?? :|

I just sat in one...unfortunately they knew I was a tire kicker :/

In regards to the console, I felt like kicking the damn thing...I felt like claustrophobic. Insurance would be a great deal more expensive for a GTI

Its essentially the same car as well.
did they not let you drive one or did you tell them you don't want to drive it?? a good dealer would try to get you to drive the car, more for them than for you though, ESPECIALLY AT THE END OF THE MONTH. one drive and you'll be hooked... :twisted: 8) :lol:
still, no way to know what the car's like without driving it, and i doubt the focus drives as nicely as the golf. i. am. disappoint. :evil:

EDIT: DON'T FORGET IT'S THE END OF THE MONTH AND THESE DEALERS ARE OR SHOULD BE (WAKE UP VW) TRYING TO SELL YOU A CAR :!: 8) :twisted:

EDIT 2: have you looked at the mazda 3 yet??

EDIT 3: here's a good thread about the golf tsi manual, based on someone asking about it coming from a mk6 tdi: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.p ... -2017-Golf

EDIT 4: might want to hold out for 2017 golf wolfsburg... http://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/9890 ... _guide.pdf
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

tankinbeans wrote:I know the gimick for Ford seems to be cockpit style driver focused motoring. Are you tall, short or average? I was in mine for a good 200 miles the other day and I didn't have any major issues, but that might be becauae I'm 5'9" 190lbs (relatively small).

I know the 2015 cabin received some minor updates, but the shape is generally the same.
I'm 5'11'' and about 200lbs.. But I'm not sure if I have a wider than average frame (I don't think I do) But I just can't seem to find a seat that suits me. Then again, I like being able to spread out lol.

Potown, I told them I wanted a stick. The golfwagen was an automatic.

The focus was my friend's car so that's why I drove it a lot longer.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote: Potown, I told them I wanted a stick. The golfwagen was an automatic.
eye am disappoint :cry:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
bk7794 wrote: Potown, I told them I wanted a stick. The golfwagen was an automatic.
...becauae he's not a traitorous heathen? :mrgreen: :lol: :P :twisted:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

In my old 4 speed 78 Chevette you had the drive shaft right next to your leg. It got a little warm and you leg was right next to it as it was not protected by much. There was a reason people called that car drywall on wheels. You adjusted the clutch cable by removing a c-clip and pulling the cable with pliers. Did like the hatchback as I could haul my bike in it. Chevette is long gone, but still have the now 40 year old 10 speed Fuji Bicycle that I used to ride to high school.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:
...becauae he's not a traitorous heathen? :mrgreen: :lol: :P :twisted:
He's making it sound like he didn't even want to look at the VWs.