Odd Vehicles With A Manual Trans

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Odd Vehicles With A Manual Trans

Post by bk7794 »

I think it was an old 80s Bus. This guy drove it and it was only once. It was quite strange. He was a sub bus driver.

I had a bus driver that blew the turbo out of the bus lmao.

Back to the topic.

I think the Camry v6 5 speed was a bit of a peculiar car. Especially for the market.

definitely think the Jaguar X-Type is interesting..even though it probably was a Ford product deep down.

I wish more Volvos came in standard.

I feel like the Accord Coupe manual and auto is a contradiction for the company. Especially since it probably doesn't sell in big numbers.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Yes, the X-type was derived from the Ford-of-Europe Mondeo. The S-type (which shared much with the Lincoln LS and the Thunderbird) was also briefly available with a manual here.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I think it was an old 80s Bus. This guy drove it and it was only once. It was quite strange. He was a sub bus driver.

I had a bus driver that blew the turbo out of the bus lmao.
now THESE are the stories we want to hear about!!
Back to the topic.

I think the Camry v6 5 speed was a bit of a peculiar car. Especially for the market.
true that. was considering one back in the day.
definitely think the Jaguar X-Type is interesting..even though it probably was a Ford product deep down.
the one i rode in felt like a POS taurus. the driver (RIP) also had poor shifting skills and the seats felt like cheap vinyl. didn't feel or ride like a luxury car.
I wish more Volvos came in standard.
amen, amen i tell you. they do overseas but they haven't hear in years (other than the C30 which is no longer with us). they could at least put a dual clutch in the sporty versions of their cars.
I feel like the Accord Coupe manual and auto is a contradiction for the company. Especially since it probably doesn't sell in big numbers.
despite low production numbers, there is decent demand for manual accords, and the coupes being in some ways sportier than the sedan (with younger/single folks buying them) makes it a good model to be offered with a manual. granted the manual drivers are a minority, but on driveaccord.net there are constant complaints about only certain trim levels of the accord being offered with a manual. you can't get an EX-L or touring (or any v6) sedan in a manual in the US. You have to get a V6 EX-L coupe to get a V6 manual (the fabled 6-6 coupe). I had to wait 2 weeks to get my '15 Accord Sport Manual last year. Others have had to travel out of state to get one. I'd say, if the Mazda 6 was better (namely, better gearing) and more readily available, and another major midsize car like the (dare eye say it) altima were offered with a manual, then there might not be as much demand for a manual accord. and that's assuming not everyone who wants a manual midsize car test drives the accord before buying another car.

EDIT: just realized you were saying ALL accord coupes are a contradiction. i have to disagree. even though they make fewer coupes and the demand may be lower, the coupes are indeed sought after, just by a smaller demographic of people who like coupes, whether for their looks or the way they're laid-out (bigger front door, sportier seats, b pillar further back, etc.). there are many people on driveaccord, for instance, who will not buy the sedan over the coupe. plus, you can only get the 6-6 in coupe form. :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

The coupes, at least in gen 8, are generally more powerful by a few horsepressures.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:The coupes, at least in gen 8, are generally more powerful by a few horsepressures.
you better not be talking about accords, or I'm gonna have to school people. :evil: :o
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:The coupes, at least in gen 8, are generally more powerful by a few horsepressures.
you better not be talking about accords, or I'm gonna have to school people. :evil: :o
Yes, Accords.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

I forgot about the Mazda6 V6. I wonder how one of those would be to drive. I really want a v6 car but the only coupe is the v6 Accord available with a stick. OR an older Solara v6 5 speed lmao.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:I forgot about the Mazda6 V6. I wonder how one of those would be to drive. I really want a v6 car but the only coupe is the v6 Accord available with a stick. OR an older Solara v6 5 speed lmao.
wish they still made a mazda 6 v6 or mazdaspeed 6.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:
Yes, Accords.
you're in for beating son :x :evil: :lol:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wrong. coupes had the same engines. ex and ex-l got more powerful 4 banger than the lower trim levels. more powerful as in you had to rev the hell out of it.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

potownrob wrote:
wrong. coupes had the same engines. ex and ex-l got more powerful 4 banger than the lower trim levels. more powerful as in you had to rev the hell out of it.
177 (LX) - 190 (EX) 4-cyl sedans.
190 across the board for the 4-cylinders.
*numbers from Edmunds

Okay, so the coupe in LX trim started off more powerful by 13 horsepressures, but then lost the advantage in EX or above. Interesting to note though that the coupe had 1 more torque.

I rescind my statement that the Accord Coupes were generally more powerful and reissue saying that the lowest trim in an Accord Coupe is more powerful than the lowest, non-special-poverty spec sedan.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

What cars are/were offered with a stick and had a v6 or Inline 6
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Care to narrow it down? That would be quite a list. Over about 50 years, that started out as a personal luxury configuration and became the basic economy-minded family car. It didn't start becoming uncommon until take rates on the manuals started going down.

Even more recently, that would span BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, VWs, SC300 and IS300, Lincoln LS, X-type and S-type, Accord, Maxima and Altima, early-'90s Taurus SHO, same-vintage Thunderbird, Mazda6, Subarus (if you're not necessarily limiting it to inlines and vees), and that's just off the top of my head.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:
potownrob wrote:
177 (LX) - 190 (EX) 4-cyl sedans.
190 across the board for the 4-cylinders.
*numbers from Edmunds

Okay, so the coupe in LX trim started off more powerful by 13 horsepressures, but then lost the advantage in EX or above. Interesting to note though that the coupe had 1 more torque.

I rescind my statement that the Accord Coupes were generally more powerful and reissue saying that the lowest trim in an Accord Coupe is more powerful than the lowest, non-special-poverty spec sedan.
i never got why people wanted an lx coupe - coupe is meant to have a sunroof and rims. i'd imagine many of the coupes were ex or ex-l or V6 models.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

There was a day when young people cared that they were broke.