2016 Elantra Manual Quality(?)

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
litesong
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: two Elantras

2016 Elantra Manual Quality(?)

Post by litesong »

We have a 2016 Elantra, purchased in June. We love the car(averaging 36mpg in hard stop&go traffic, with a high of 46mpg). In 6th gear, the car occasionally popped into neutral! Taken to the dealer(with a video showing the 6th gear pop), they tinkered (may have helped a small bit). While driving in 6th, I finally noted that the gearshift shroud might be pulling on the lever IN THE DIRECTION OF THE NEUTRAL POSITION. I also noted that the shroud had a small fold that might increase the pressure on the lever a little bit. Undoing the fold & smoothing it as straight as possible, it does appear that the 6th gear pop has MOSTLY stopped.

Has anyone else ever had a gearshift shroud pull on the gearshift enough to pull the transmission out of gear?
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: 2016 Elantra Manual Quality(?)

Post by Rope-Pusher »

litesong wrote:We have a 2016 Elantra, purchased in June. We love the car(averaging 36mpg in hard stop&go traffic, with a high of 46mpg). In 6th gear, the car occasionally popped into neutral! Taken to the dealer(with a video showing the 6th gear pop), they tinkered (may have helped a small bit). While driving in 6th, I finally noted that the gearshift shroud might be pulling on the lever IN THE DIRECTION OF THE NEUTRAL POSITION. I also noted that the shroud had a small fold that might increase the pressure on the lever a little bit. Undoing the fold & smoothing it as straight as possible, it does appear that the 6th gear pop has MOSTLY stopped.

Has anyone else ever had a gearshift shroud pull on the gearshift enough to pull the transmission out of gear?
Any shifter boots that I have designed have enough range of motion to accomodate the shifter motion to its fully-deflected positions (In-gear, with a load applied to the knob in the direction of pushing it beyond the in-gear position) and considering the tolerance of the relative positions of the center console the boot mounts to and the shifter.

It may not make for stylish boots, but it keeps them from pulling the shifter out of gear.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: 2016 Elantra Manual Quality(?)

Post by watkins »

You sure you werent involved in the early JK shifter boots? Those things sucked. Constantly popped transmissions out of odd gears.