Stall recovery in the Focus RS.

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Stall recovery in the Focus RS.

Post by bk7794 »

the manual-only hot hatch will be especially forgiving in the event a driver stalls the engine, as Focus RS will debut with a trick feature called stall recovery. In other words, there will be no need for drivers to manually restart the engine or move the gear selector to neutral as the innovative technology simply pushes the clutch back in.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/a1 ... smissions/

I was under the impression that you needed to press the clutch back in. Maybe I'm wrong. What're your thoughts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Stall recovery in the Focus RS.

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm dubious. Isn't this one more thing to break. Is it operated via solenoid or what? I like my hill holder, but this seems a bit much. However, I have heard that F1 cars do this to prevent driveline shock and damage.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I made a post here about the Eclutch by bosch. Many people didn't respond. However, if there is a post about a funny looking shifter knob, that gets people coming back that haven't been on in years to comment on it...

On a related topic, I Wonder if it uses something like that.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/109 ... al-gearbox
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

> These systems change new manual gearboxes into some sort of Franken-transmission that's an automatic with a clutch pedal.

This is acceptable. As long as these are ancillary systems that can be disabled, like a clutch-pusher that still leaves a regular hydraulic clutch linkage in place but adds an extra circuit leg, these are added features that will help more people buy manual while delivering a manual that we can still enjoy the old way. If they have to replace systems with newfangled stuff that doesn't work right, like an electronic clutch-by-wire that's as obedient as a VW DBW throttle, then we have a problem.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD