Advice on selling your own car

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Re: Advice on selling your own car

Post by ra64t »

how much would you want for it?
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Good advice. Wouldn't they know your address anyways? Atleast they can find it if they know your name. Now I have someone who sells cars all the time. He makes them sign a paper saying they're buying it in an as is condition. I feel like that's quite difficult to enforce if its not a legal document. Any thoughts?
ra64t wrote:how much would you want for it?
This is all thoughts for now. Not officially for sale yet.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

That's a typical clause of a bill of sale.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

bk7794 wrote:Good advice. Wouldn't they know your address anyways? Atleast they can find it if they know your name. Now I have someone who sells cars all the time. He makes them sign a paper saying they're buying it in an as is condition. I feel like that's quite difficult to enforce if its not a legal document. Any thoughts?
Who says it isn't a legal document? As long as you find out the wording required in your state for "as-is" sales, you can print it, everyone signs it |EDIT:| AND DATES IT <-important |/EDIT|, and it is legal. The only restriction would be if your state requires a specific document rather than specific wording.

They didn't always have official looking forms for everything. You can find example bills of sales online to use which probably include the as-is phrase.
Last edited by Squint on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 5 times in total.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, bill of sale is sufficient as far as legal documentation goes. It says that you no longer own the car and are in no way responsible for anything that happens to it from that point on.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650