Sideview mirror glare

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Sideview mirror glare

Post by bk7794 »

The other day I was in a coworkers Acura TL. I noticed the side mirrors were tinted blue. I assumed it was to help with glare. I was considering trying this out on one of my vehicles. Glare can get quite annoying while driving at night.

I heard that 20% blue tint would work. Any thoughts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Sideview mirror glare

Post by AHTOXA »

Some auto-dimming mirrors can appear blue-ish or green-ish in tint.

Were his side mirrors auto-dimming?

20% tint is very dark. Very dark. I would definitely not use it.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I guess it depends on your eyesight. I had 20% on the mirrors of a previous car and it had almost no effect. I put 5% on the Buick and the tint level is a good compromise, though the quality of film that I used was crappy so it's a little unclear. I might try again with better film someday but it's not too bad and I'm lazy.

You can try it out without much at stake, just the cost of a roll of tint and a few minutes of your time. It peels off easily enough.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I glare out my side view mirror, but I don't think it's all that effective.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

AHTOXA wrote:Some auto-dimming mirrors can appear blue-ish or green-ish in tint.

Were his side mirrors auto-dimming?

20% tint is very dark. Very dark. I would definitely not use it.
I don't believe his were auto dimming. I just did a quick google search and 20% came up.

Maybe 5 % is the way to go like cow said?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:The other day I was in a coworkers Acura TL. I noticed the side mirrors were tinted blue. I assumed it was to help with glare. I was considering trying this out on one of my vehicles. Glare can get quite annoying while driving at night.

I heard that 20% blue tint would work. Any thoughts?
The sideview mirrors on my new Grand Cherokee (yes, I finally did get a 2015 Grand Cherokee after all) are auto dimming. It's a great feature and it works really well.

Unfortunately, the rest of the vehicle is pretty much a big piece of shit. And no, I am not kidding.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

The tint blue or is it like the windshield mounted rear-view mirror?

What did you end up replacing? The Toyota you had?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:The tint blue or is it like the windshield mounted rear-view mirror?

What did you end up replacing? The Toyota you had?

No blue tint. They simply darken, just like the rearview mirror on the windshield. It's actually very useful.

And yes, I replaced the 4Runner with a new Grand Cherokee. Even after owning the Jeep for about four weeks now, I'm already looking forward to the next generation 4Runner (which will probably be a 2017 model, available in 2016) as a replacement for the Jeep. At least I'll have a warranty on the Jeep until the new 4Runner comes out. The only possible problem will be if I don't like the looks of the next generation 4Runner. I hate the looks of the current model, which is why I decided to take a chance on the Jeep instead.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Shadow wrote:And yes, I replaced the 4Runner with a new Grand Cherokee. Even after owning the Jeep for about four weeks now, I'm already looking forward to the next generation 4Runner (which will probably be a 2017 model, available in 2016) as a replacement for the Jeep. At least I'll have a warranty on the Jeep until the new 4Runner comes out. The only possible problem will be if I don't like the looks of the next generation 4Runner. I hate the looks of the current model, which is why I decided to take a chance on the Jeep instead.
You were pretty harsh on the Jeep, any particular reasons why?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I bet he got one with the air suspension and the dual-pane roof. That would annoy me.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:I bet he got one with the air suspension and the dual-pane roof. That would annoy me.
Yup, got an Overland, which comes standard with the air suspension and the dual pane roof. Ironically, that's the best part of the vehicle and so far no problems there. The new 8-speed transmission is a total piece of shit though. There are a lot more problems than that, but I really don't want to hi-jack the thread. If there's any real interest, I'll start a new thread. But for now, I'll just say that that this Jeep is a perfect example of why I strayed away from American vehicles many years ago.

I might just dump this thing after this winter is over.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

How many American vehicles have you had since the mid 80's that haven't been Chrysler products?
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

IMBoring25 wrote:How many American vehicles have you had since the mid 80's that haven't been Chrysler products?
This is only the 3rd Chrysler product that I've ever owned. The first two were Jeep Wranglers. So three Jeeps are the only thing I've owned from Chrysler.

But I've owned quite a few American vehicles since the mid-80s. My first new car was an 87 Mustang. I was 18 at the time. I also owned an 88 Mustang that I bought used in 1991, after selling my 87 Mustang for a 1991 Eagle Talon (sort of American I guess, but in reality it was a Mitsubishi). In any event, I can't consider the Talon a Chrysler product, although I guess an argument could be made for that since the Laser was basically the same vehicle. Really though, all three of those cars (Talon, Laser, and Eclipse) were Mitsubishis.

I've also owned a Ford Probe and a Mazda MX-6 (again, sister cars...but these were definitely more of a joint effort between Ford and Mazda) I also owned a Ford Ranger that I used for work when I had my own business. I also owned a Ford Escape for three years before I dumped it because the warranty was ending and the transmission started giving me problems. Hmm...I never realized how many Ford I've owned over the years. Anyway, I replaced the Escape with my 4Runner in 2004. Eleven years later and the car has basically been just about 100% perfect. I've also owned a few different German cars duing and even before the same time period, including an E36 M3, an E46 M3, and my current A5. So the very last American car I owned was the 2001 Ford Escape. Yeah, it's been quite some time since I owned an American vehicle and the Jeep isn't exactly impressing me at all.

I'm pretty sure there were other American cars that I've missed, but unless I sit down and really think about it, I can't say for sure. The problem is that I've owned two and sometimes three cars at the same time and it would be so much easier to go through my cars if I traded or sold one for the next one and so on......but that's not how I've done it over the years.