Airbag recalls

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Airbag recalls

Post by bk7794 »

I was reading a story on autoguide about an airbag inflator ruptured and caused severe damage to the drivers eye. Also in the news we constantly hear of counterfeit airbags being replaced when the car is in an accident.

Really makes me question the longevity of Airbags. Like how will the airbag deploy in an accident when the car is 20 years old, even 30 or 40 for these cars that will become classics. Not only the longevity but what about the safety of the safety device. What are your thoughts?

here is the autoguide story. http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014 ... ore-247583

EDIT: I just want to clarify I'm not saying that the airbags don't provide any benefits. Just worried about the quality and the cost cutting going into one of the most important pieces of the car. In my opinion I'd rather have a cheaper radio than have a cheaper airbag.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Airbag recalls

Post by Rope-Pusher »

On top of the safety aspect, think about all the parts that get torn up when airbags deploy - how many years will all those soft trim parts be still available?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I think most manuals say something about having the airbag inspected every 7-10 years/xx,xxx miles.

That isn't perfect, of course. People will still get hurt in random accidents - but having the airbag is overall far safer than not having it... so...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NHTSA’s Office of Defects has discovered at least six incidents of bag inflator rupture, all of which occurred in high-humidity climates. One of those incidents involved a 2005 Honda Civic where the driver-side airbag inflator is said to have exploded, sending a one-inch piece of shrapnel into the driver’s eye. The incident, which occurred in August 2013, reportedly led to a loss of sight and several lacerations to the nose. The 2005 Honda Civic was not included in the previous recall campaigns.

The other incident involved a 2003 Toyota Corolla, which reportedly also sent shrapnel to the driver’s head. The car also allegedly caught on fire and the front windshield was shattered, but other than that, he says it's been a good car.(My words, not his)

Allegedly caught on fire? Didn't burn unless proven so in a court of law? Cars have rights? Cars are Citizens?
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Seems to be keeping positive I suppose.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I remember reading an article in Car and Driver (I think) about a 20-year-old car with an airbag (back in the early days of airbags, there was only one airbag and it was in the steering wheel) and they were questioning whether or not the airbag would be effective or even work at all. I guess the sensors/wiring/triggers etc..weren't engineered to last too far beyond the life expectancy of the car. But as we all know, there will always be "classic" cars in the future, so it seems obvious that the "newer" classic cars will have airbag technology in them.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"Oh, the Humidity!"

Honda, Nissan and Mazda expand airbag recall
Nearly 3 million vehicles recalled over airbag issue

On June 11, Toyota called back 1.62 million vehicles outside Japan that previously had been recalled and 650,000 more in Japan not previously targeted.

That action brought the total number of Takata airbag recalls to 7 million vehicles worldwide, Reuters reported. The Honda, Nissan and Mazda recalls add to that total.

From 2000 to 2002, Takata plants in Washington and Mexico used some propellant that had been exposed to moisture. Takata fixed the problem at the factory, but faulty record-keeping hampered it from identifying those batches.

So the automakers issued huge recalls to track down all defective airbags.

In a statement issued June 20, Takata CEO Shigehisa Takada confirmed that the inflators may have been damaged by moisture but also cited humid weather as a possible cause.

“We currently believe the high levels of absolute humidity in those states [Florida, Puerto Rico] are important factors; and as a result, our engineers are analyzing the impact that humidity may have on the potential for an inflator malfunction,” he said.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2014062 ... z35VjMBDTb
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Now that's just silly!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Cow! You out did Rope Pusher! Love it!
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

:lol:

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm not ready to concede defeat. I matched the story of airbags exploding because of humidity with the most perfect picture and caption to go along with it. I can now die a happy man. (We'll argue if it was more of a fire than an explosion, but an explosion is just a fire that is quick)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:I'm not ready to concede defeat. I matched the story of airbags exploding because of humidity with the most perfect picture and caption to go along with it. I can now die a happy man. (We'll argue if it was more of a fire than an explosion, but an explosion is just a fire that is quick)
The moment captured in your picture certainly looks more explosion than fire.

But if we're arguing the finer details of explosions/fire/etc.. My car is totally powered by dinosaurs.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:But if we're arguing the finer details of explosions/fire/etc.. My car is totally powered by exploding (or burning) dinosaurs.
Fickset.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:
Squint wrote:But if we're arguing the finer details of explosions/fire/etc.. My car is totally powered by exploding (or burning) dinosaurs.
Fickset.
No, UnFickset
His car is literally powered by dinosaurs!