2015 Subaru Outback

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

2015 Subaru Outback

Post by Stelcom66 »

Unfortunately as expected. From Motortrend: "Both engines will be paired with a CVT (six-cylinder models get a high-torque version) meaning the five-speed automatic and six-speed manual transmissions are out of the picture."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suv ... z2zLRGTCQB
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: 2015 Subaru Outback

Post by Shadow »

Another one bites the dust....oh well.....and who would have ever thought that it would be CVTs that would be killing manuals? Especially as we see happening on all of these smaller, economy-minded vehicles. Up until recently, Subaru used to be one of the few brands remaining where you could buy a manual transmission in most models. Now I wouldn't be surprised if they go CVT-only on most of their models.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Not that I'm in the market for new Subaru - but depressing news anyway. An interesting feature I saw is related to a post I made in another forum about my '01 Silverado. This was the first winter I had it and compared to my Subaru Forester it took a very long time to warm up in cold weather. I found out the old method of cardboard in front of the radiator in winter is still common. The Outback now has something similar and high tech, although not necessarily to get to operating temperature:

"A new Active Grille Shutter system on the 2015 Outback 2.5i and Electric Power-Assisted Steering and improved 2015 Subaru Outback aerodynamics on all models also contribute to the increased efficiency."

I saw a few negative reviews about the last 6 speed manual transmission in the Outback. It's been mentioned Subaru may have purposely made it unrefined to make the CVT more desirable. Could be, my 2002 Forester's 5 speed manual is fine to drive.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Active grille shutters are becoming ubiquitous in order to minimize CAFE fines as the standards go up.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Stelcom66 wrote:Not that I'm in the market for new Subaru - but depressing news anyway. An interesting feature I saw is related to a post I made in another forum about my '01 Silverado. This was the first winter I had it and compared to my Subaru Forester it took a very long time to warm up in cold weather. I found out the old method of cardboard in front of the radiator in winter is still common.
There's a perfect slot for cardboard or coroplast (corrugated plastic) between the A/C condenser and the radiator. The next time you see coroplast road spam, stop and pick up a couple pieces, they are perfect for the job...cardboard could get messy if it gets wet. However, it really doesn't make a big difference since the thermostat keeps the radiator out of the loop until it's significantly warmed up.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Good idea using coroplast - didn't even think of cardboard getting wet.

I saw another post on this site re: AWD and a manual transmission. Looks like there's a possibility VW may take the place of the Subaru Outback as the only AWD wagon available with a manual. The 2014 Forester and I believe the Imprezas, WRXs can still get a 6 speed manual.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Doesn't surprise me that the Outback dropped the manual option.

There's also no standard height performance hatch/wagon in their lineup now, automatic or manual.

I looked at four Subaru models back in 2004: Forester XT, Outback XT, WRX wagon and Legacy GT wagon.

Now there isn't one model that fit that same list (mod-friendly for power, manual, AWD and hatch/wagon).

Hopefully a WRX hatch/LEVORG will make an appearance over the next few years.
-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites