Nissan Versa....Manual vs Auto

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Nissan Versa....Manual vs Auto

Post by Bill B »

Was looking at the fuel economy numbers of manual vs auto. Was surprised that on fueleconomy.gov that the 5 speed Versa actually gets 4mpg less than the auto. Could be whoever was driving for the test did not know how to use a clutch. I know they have imporved the Autos, but 4 mpg seemed like a big difference.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSea ... yp=newMake
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
IMBoring25

Re: Nissan Versa....Manual vs Auto

Post by IMBoring25 »

With few exceptions, they usually don't put a really good highway gear in manuals because people would complain about bad top-gear acceleration and having to downshift to climb hills. With automatics doing the shifting themselves, it doesn't matter if they have to downshift. That's the manual side of the equation.

For the automatic side of the equation, the four-speed stepped automatic gets 1 MPG worse than the manual in town and equal on the highway. The unit you're talking about is a CVT, and not just any CVT. They've borrowed a concept from heavy trucks and basically put a two-speed axle in it to increase the available span of ratios. It's hard to get better mileage than a transmission that always puts the engine at the theoretically ideal RPM for the amount of work you're asking it to do. They should be able to lock up the TC any time the car is moving except when they shift the planetary gearset, so its parasitic losses should not be as high as a more-complex stepped automatic either. All in all a really technologically nice concept as long as you don't have to get it fixed (provided you don't enjoy shifting yourself).
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

yeah, let's see how that auto fares in real world pedal mashing goodness, while i'd imagine the manual can achieve similar acceleration without revving too high...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

On/off switch driving... My favorite.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!