Limited-slip differential

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Limited-slip differential

Post by Squint »

These are the two more readable RP posts I've ever seen. I don't care if it is relatively technical. I actually understood most of that. :P
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:These are the two more readable RP posts I've ever seen. I don't care if it is relatively technical. I actually understood most of that. :P
I usually easily understand his informative posts. And the ones talking about female sheep and slips showing.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:These are the two more readable RP posts I've ever seen. I don't care if it is relatively technical. I actually understood most of that. :P
Rope Pusher is a brilliant man--well, person. Do we really know if he is a he or a she? Maybe the profile says so. Anyway, it is amazing how RP can post super technical and right on stuff and then turn around and post something totally insane in another thread.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Squint wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I don't understand your question about contacting and non-contacting wheel. All wheels are contacting the ground in situations we discussed.
Look back at the OP of the thread, at least that's what I gathered he was asking - though I don't have the answer.
Correct, I understood (from Wikipedia and from generally Googling around) that limited-slip helps in situations where one wheel loses contact - e.g., offroading, hard cornering. The posts are getting a little technical for me and my limited knowledge base, but I appreciate the replies and I get the gist of it. The real-world benefit seems to be improved traction and everything that comes along with that.
2013 Honda Civic Si