The VW GTD, Coming to the US in 2016?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

The VW GTD, Coming to the US in 2016?

Post by bk7794 »

I must admit this car is really intriguing me. Might be something that I am willing to pick up, even if it is made in mexico.

For those of you who might not know what the GTD is. It is essentially a GTI...with a Diesel :D Yeah not as quick but who cares? Essentially grabs the suspension from the GTI with the fuel efficiency of a diesel engine.

I see varying numbers on the torque and power output. I expect horsepower to be over 150 and torque to be well into the 200s

Here are a few articles.

http://www.cheapestcarnews.com/2014-vol ... ne-and-mpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/03/vw-c ... -for-2016/

What are your thoughts?
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: The VW GTD, Coming to the US in 2016?

Post by AHTOXA »

Not really sure on this; overall lukewarm on the car as it doesn't seem to strike a note that a GTI otherwise wouldn't.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

You know, I was just re-reading one of the articles and see that it's going to be priced between the Golf GTI and the Golf R. I thought they made the R every 4 years...? Regardless, I think that'd be around 25 or 26k. Kind of steep.

But yeah, might definitely look into a diesel for my next car.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

most VW outsiders won't understand the GTD and will get something like a corolla instead. many VW insiders (VW fans) are ready to jump on the GTD though. they are raving about the TDI as it is, and have been drooling over the GTD since it was mentioned as a possibility that it might ever come over to the states.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

VW's reputation for (un)reliability scares me. Otherwise, the Golf lineup would make a ton of sense.

Even so, if I'm in the market for a diesel, I think I would go for the better fuel economy of a Golf TDI over this GTD.
2013 Honda Civic Si
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Boston Fit wrote:VW's reputation for (un)reliability scares me. Otherwise, the Golf lineup would make a ton of sense.
yeah, it is a gamble, even now to a degree. i like to compare it to the sigma lens dilemma; they make great lenses that are arguably sharper than the competition, but the QC is not the best and some people end up with a bad lens.
Even so, if I'm in the market for a diesel, I think I would go for the better fuel economy of a Golf TDI over this GTD.
i hear you. many vw fans like sporty cars and like the TDI, but now their jaws are agape at the prospect of a sportier diesel car in the lineup.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

The current European model GTD already has 170 HP and 258 Ft-Lbs torque; the new one will bump those numbers up a bit.

I expect it will be pushing closer to 180-185 HP and probably pretty near 300 Ft-Lbs for the new model.

Current GTIs and TDIs are priced essentially identically with equal equipment. You either pay for a diesel engine in a sport equipped golf; or a sportier gas GTI with equivalent options. GTIs and Golf TDIs start at ~24,000 and go up. TDIs top out at around 28K while GTIs go up to a bit over 30K for a loaded one with leather.

The GTD will probably be starting around 27K and head up to about 33K fully loaded. And I guarantee you it will sell :wink:

It has all the handling and braking ability of the GTI with diesel torque and economy capabilities. Should be a monster once tuned as well :mrgreen:
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

potownrob wrote:yeah, it is a gamble, even now to a degree. i like to compare it to the sigma lens dilemma; they make great lenses that are arguably sharper than the competition, but the QC is not the best and some people end up with a bad lens.
That makes sense since manufacturers (of cars, camera lenses, other consumer goods) have to decide where to invest their resources in order to meet a given price point. For every dollar they spend on QC, that's one dollar taken out of some other bucket. That's a vast oversimplification, but it broadly illustrates why consumers must live with trade-offs between reliability, performance and other measures within a fixed budget. The same holds true for home purchases: a better school district might come at the expense of square footage, a bigger yard means a smaller kitchen, etc.
2013 Honda Civic Si
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

sure hope this thing comes stateside. the tank is at the dealer getting work done and I got a jetta hybrid as a loaner car (should be happy they came through with a loaner). this thing is looks cool but is boring as the desert to drive (and sounds like an anemic bus). do find it odd they used a brand new hybrid (under 300 miles when I picked it up) as a loaner.

couldn't even average over 33 mpg pansy-footing it, 7 speed DSG (which is cool in and of itself) and all...

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

That is kind of poopy for a hybrid, when I'm nice I get that in Clifford. Is it a full on hybrid like a Prius, or a "mild- hybrid" like GM's earlier attempts, and Honda's Accord?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:That is kind of poopy for a hybrid, when I'm nice I get that in Clifford. Is it a full on hybrid like a Prius, or a "mild- hybrid" like GM's earlier attempts, and Honda's Accord?
keep in mind I only drove 13 miles and was in traffic most of the time. I think it is a turbo hydrid (turbo 4 in conjunction with the electric motor). I heard the engine most of the time, to give you an idea. made me miss my 2.5 and really wish they had a TDI loaner :? :oops: 8)
Saabstory02
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 VW .:R32

Post by Saabstory02 »

It's a 170HP Turbo 4 cylinder hybrid; surprised though, I'd heard it was pretty fun to drive compared to most hybrids.
2012 Golf TDI - 6M, 4 Dr
| Chrome GTI Switches | Stainless Sport pedals | Golf R Steering Wheel, Shift Knob/boot & E-Brake | Moda MD6 wheels |
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

i'll see how i like it tonight when the traffic should be calmer and the dashboard's all lit up. my sister is meeting up to ride in it and maybe drive it. not sure if that means she's interested in getting one.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter

Post by bk7794 »

They probably had something destroyed when it came off the truck. I've seen some shady dealers try to sell new cars where the windshield is chipped in a few spots.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

bk7794 wrote:They probably had something destroyed when it came off the truck. I've seen some shady dealers try to sell new cars where the windshield is chipped in a few spots.
well, the gas tank lid thing (that covers the gas filler hole and is the same color as the car but sometimes rubbery) is missing. think that would be an easy fix though.