Best brands for manual transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Best brands for manual transmission

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:
Between government regulators and the desires of the masses we get boring amorphous blob vehicles that become more and more like electronic gizmos on wheels.
Yeah, we should go back to cars of the 50s like these....after all, that's likely the same thing those guys were saying about cars of the 60s.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

That DeSoto is pretty atrocious looking but they did have nice, simple, plain cars in the 1960s:
In fact, that one looks almost like the 1963 Chevy that was my first manual. I'd gladly have another one of these.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Check this out---10 ugliest cars from the 50s:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/aut ... s.fortune/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote:Check this out---10 ugliest cars from the 50s:

http://money.cnn.com/galleries/2011/aut ... s.fortune/
Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I cold take them over many of today's vehicles, but they are not my preference. I like many cars from the 60s through the 90s, a few into the 2000s, but it seems automobile designers are taking their styling tips from Hot Wheels toy cars.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

InlinePaul wrote:I like many cars from the 60s through the 90s, a few into the 2000s, but it seems automobile designers are taking their styling tips from Hot Wheels toy cars.
I see someone is not a fan of the giant whale mouth that Ford-Martin is using (and a little bit Mazda and a few others). :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:I see someone is not a fan of the giant whale mouth that Ford-Martin is using (and a little bit Mazda and a few others). :lol:
I think of it as a largemouth bass face, and I too am not a fan. It's pretty popular across various brands though often not quite as bad as Ford.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Squint wrote:
InlinePaul wrote:I like many cars from the 60s through the 90s, a few into the 2000s, but it seems automobile designers are taking their styling tips from Hot Wheels toy cars.
I see someone is not a fan of the giant whale mouth that Ford-Martin is using (and a little bit Mazda and a few others). :lol:
Oh, the giant whale mouth looks awful!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
havoktsx
Junior Standardshifter

Post by havoktsx »

Squint wrote:Welcome! Nice car choices. I've always wondered how cars in Hawaii work since like just about everything, they have to be imported. Does that mean your "fees" are much higher there to get the same vehicle?
it sucks being on an island with virtually no competition for dealerships.

used car prices are also horrendous because, again, choices are scarce. if you are enthusiast, it WILL cost you money to get what you want. many times, you have to "settle" or compromise since you just can't get everything you want at the price that you "mainlanders" pay.

i literally pounced on my car when it showed up on craigslist. every time i take it to the dealership (one and only on the island) for routine service, they look at my car with longing eyes because they KNOW they can sell it for tons of money.

i'm going to run my car into dust and drive it for as long as i can. and i couldn't be happier!

\m/
08' Acura TSX ASM/Ebony 6MT