Diving In

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Diving In

Post by tankinbeans »

Traffic seconded. I've had to start dealing with rush hour lately (in a construction zone). Riding the clutch for 70 minutes equals a painful foot.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Tagore wrote:
In your experiences (shadow and others) what are some things that I might be overlooking as an auto driver that might drive me nuts if I make the jump to manual?
The obvious answer is traffic jams. Lots of people get frustrated with the constant clutching when you're stuck in severe stop & go traffic for long periods of time. Also hills.....and you said your area has lots of hills. Don't get me wrong---you can still enjoy it if it's right for you. Most people here (if not all) would say that a stick is right for them, otherwise they wouldn't be driving a stick in the first place. I'm just saying that you should do you best to make sure it is right for you before you "dive in", as in the title of this thread. I made the leap when I was only 18 years old and I've never regretted it.
Last edited by Shadow on Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

One thought for the OP - if you want to get your feet wet before taking the plunge, buy the cheapest, used stick shift beater car you can find on Craigslist. Drive it around for a month, then sell it for (roughly) what you paid. By the end of it, you'll know if manual transmission is for you. And either way, you'll know how to drive stick in a pinch.
2013 Honda Civic Si
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Boston Fit wrote:One thought for the OP - if you want to get your feet wet before taking the plunge, buy the cheapest, used stick shift beater car you can find on Craigslist. Drive it around for a month, then sell it for (roughly) what you paid. By the end of it, you'll know if manual transmission is for you. And either way, you'll know how to drive stick in a pinch.
This. Your only loss is the cost of registering and insuring a second car. Again, bring a trusted friend -- to make sure it doesn't have anything wrong that will affect your decision on whether to get into stick driving or not.

However, I can't say I know anyone who wanted to drive manual and later found out (s)he was wrong. The people I know who prefer not to drive stick even though they used to have one fit the following categories:
1. People who didn't have a choice, like now-old people who started driving when 3-pedal was much more common, or people who were given one as their first car.
2. People who preferred row-your-own for decades and eventually got tired of it.

What I don't see is existing drivers/car owners who say "I want to shift for myself", sell their automatic, buy a manual, and then regret it. I'm sure it happens but I can't think of anyone. The closest thing I can think of is people who gave up trying to find a new manual car that fits their other specifications or were otherwise thrust into an automatic by circumstance, and either tolerate the slushbox or grow to appreciate it.

After having dabbled repeatedly in the little bit of seat time I could get in a variety of manual vehicles I made the leap in 2008. My wife drove it a few times after that and replaced her automatic last winter. No regrets. She even commutes into the city every day, dealing with stop-and-go traffic.

A good friend of mine wanted a big V8 car after he crashed his manual Focus and bought a Thunderbird. He's had it a few years now and misses rowing his own. We talk sometimes about converting it...should be an easier conversion than my current car was.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't think OP mentioned how new or old the car sought was to be. There are some cars that would be easier in general than others, and there are the cars with the hill holder feature thingy that would render inclines a non-issue.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Boston Fit wrote:One thought for the OP - if you want to get your feet wet before taking the plunge, buy the cheapest, used stick shift beater car you can find on Craigslist. Drive it around for a month, then sell it for (roughly) what you paid. By the end of it, you'll know if manual transmission is for you. And either way, you'll know how to drive stick in a pinch.
Hey, you probably can find an older manual transmission car in decent condition for anywhere from $3000 to $6000 that could turn out to be a nicer vehicle than a new one. The point being that your let-me-see-if-I-really-like-driving-stick car could also be your long-term-keeper car. Doesn't have to be a beater. I am talking about cars from the 1990s or even early 2000s might work.
Last edited by ClutchFork on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:A good friend of mine wanted a big V8 car after he crashed his manual Focus and bought a Thunderbird. He's had it a few years now and misses rowing his own. We talk sometimes about converting it...should be an easier conversion than my current car was.
Oooooh! That would be one of my dream cars, a 1990s Thunderbird (or Cougar) with the pushrod 302 cid (5.0) V8 (or even more fun, a pushrod 351 cid V8) and 4 on the floor! :D
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Tagore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Tagore »

Yea traffic and hills are definitely a bit ominous right now, especially with my limited experience. Fortunately my commute is pretty short and with limited traffic. The other good thing is that while I will need a car for work (I go on a lot of site previews that require travel during the day) I don't need one most days and I typically commute by bicycle. So the car is mostly for trips out of the city rather than commuting. The hills though, yea... they'll be there.

As for buying something dirt cheap to practice on, I have also given this some thought. I kind of brushed it aside since it would be a little less convenient, though maybe that's short sighted convenience. The idea of getting a car the next step up in the $3-$6k range that could also be my long term keeper is definitely one I've also considered and is still on the table. I mentioned I'm looking seriously at the Fit because of it's practicality and since its a newer model, the used ones available tend to have lower milage and great reliability and safety. My more encompassing range includes but is not limited to pretty much any VW, Honda, or Subaru (minus the WRX, although I do like that car) from 2000 and later. Aiming for sub 60k miles and a $15k price cap (ideally its more of a $12k price cap).

Thanks again for all of the ideas and help! Great to have an understanding and knowledgable community to go to for insight.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

You deal with that kind of hillly terrain and commute by bicycle? Image
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

If the car is more or less "for pleasure," get what you want. You will get frustrated with errors, but you'll become more comfortable.

Another suggestion, ignore posts about double clutching and rev matching until you're more proficient with the basics. These are fun, but unnecessary in the beginning.

Also, do let us know what you decide when you've figured it out. :)
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

tankinbeans wrote:Another suggestion, ignore posts about double clutching and rev matching until you're more proficient with the basics. These are fun, but unnecessary in the beginning.
Those aren't necessary ever. The only times I will rev-match is if i'm going to downshift to pass someone or I need to accelerate fast.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Tagore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Tagore »

theholycow wrote:You deal with that kind of hillly terrain and commute by bicycle? Image
The original standard transmission :)
tankinbeans wrote:If the car is more or less "for pleasure," get what you want. You will get frustrated with errors, but you'll become more comfortable.

Another suggestion, ignore posts about double clutching and rev matching until you're more proficient with the basics. These are fun, but unnecessary in the beginning.

Also, do let us know what you decide when you've figured it out. :)
Yea I've seen these come up from browsing the forum here and figured these aren't exactly my best starting points! There is a wealth of other info here that has definitely been helpful while looking back on my past experiences with manual transmissions as well as moving forward. I will definitely keep you posted on my decisions, though I am thinking it will take me some time to settle on the right car at the right price, and I'm ok with taking it slow in that sense.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Tagore wrote:Yea traffic and hills are definitely a bit ominous right now, especially with my limited experience. Fortunately my commute is pretty short and with limited traffic. The other good thing is that while I will need a car for work (I go on a lot of site previews that require travel during the day) I don't need one most days and I typically commute by bicycle. So the car is mostly for trips out of the city rather than commuting. The hills though, yea... they'll be there.

As for buying something dirt cheap to practice on, I have also given this some thought. I kind of brushed it aside since it would be a little less convenient, though maybe that's short sighted convenience. The idea of getting a car the next step up in the $3-$6k range that could also be my long term keeper is definitely one I've also considered and is still on the table. I mentioned I'm looking seriously at the Fit because of it's practicality and since its a newer model, the used ones available tend to have lower milage and great reliability and safety. My more encompassing range includes but is not limited to pretty much any VW, Honda, or Subaru (minus the WRX, although I do like that car) from 2000 and later. Aiming for sub 60k miles and a $15k price cap (ideally its more of a $12k price cap).

Thanks again for all of the ideas and help! Great to have an understanding and knowledgable community to go to for insight.
A downside of the cheap car to try is the possibility (and probability) that most manual models drive slightly different than others. It's the same way for autos, a Civic doesn't drive the same as a Corolla, nor a Focus. However, when you are shifting the gears, you tend to notice the differences more because you are the one that feels it with the clutch and the shifting. So keep that in mind while you test different vehicles.

Finding a vehicle would be the harder part, especially with the Fit, with the criteria that you have. There might be more used ones in your area, but the small, gently used cars tend to go pretty quickly in central Kentucky. If you ever have questions about the purchase of a vehicle, send me a message, as I work in auto finance.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Tagore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Tagore »

Thanks, Squint! Much appreciated.
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

Tagore wrote:Hi Everyone,

Good news- I am deciding to abandon my auto transmission and purchase a manual! I am still early in the process and I am glad to have found this forum full of great info. I have a few questions and forgive me if they have been asked before.

I have driven manual cars before though never for extended periods of time to really get comfortable driving one. Only been out for spins in friends' cars and quick lessons. I now live in Seattle, which if you don't know, is surprisingly hilly in addition to our rain. I want to buy a used car (looking pretty seriously at the Honda Fit) though since I am not "fluent" in stick driving, I am concerned about being able to go out for test drives, especially with the hills in Seattle.

Any ideas? I am sure I'm not the first person looking to buy a manual car that isn't too familiar with one. Looking to hear from your experiences about test driving cars off the lot without great skill.

Also, am I totally crazy for wanting to learn in such a hilly city? How long before you all got comfortable on hills?

Thanks!
Tagore
I bought a 2013 Fit manual with less than two hours experience driving stick. It took about 15 minutes to be comfortable enough to 'get places' and about 3 days to be almost 'automatic' comfortable. I can certainly relate to your position.

If you have any questions about how the fit's been going for me because you've been considering it and are at a 'similar experience point' I can share whatever you'd like to know still
2013 Fit Sport 5MT. Nothing looks funnier than a sticker advertising SOHC