Diving In

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Diving In

Post by ClutchDisc »

I always take reviews with a grain of salt. If I was in the market for a new car I would seriously be considering the Versa.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

Tagore wrote:Thanks everyone :D Having so much fun with the car. And yea, rei - its the base trim. Still enjoying the styling even without the extra body flair and alloy wheels.

Drove in to work today and got through the nerves of driving in rush hour traffic on a main road and a bit of highway. Stalled once at a light on my way home but nothing too major and I kept my cool. Fortunately Seattle drivers are pretty patient and you will rarely hear a horn. Back to the bike tomorrow as my main method for commuting but as soon as I get home I'm sure I'll head out for a spin and just keep practicing and working my way up to more stressful hills/lights as I get more confident. Tonight I practiced the handbrake method on some quiet residential hills with the thinking that I should get comfortable with this quickly should I find myself stopped on a hill in traffic. Much easier than I thought it would be to coordinate!

Oh and as for the Versa's reliability - I was looking mostly at these reviews: http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... ersa/2012/
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/ca ... liability/

So of course, take it with a grain of salt. My friend has a 2010 and hasn't had any major problems, but has had to take it in for service for a few minor things that surprised him (not sure of specifics).
base is solid, assuming you got 'one step up' and got AC ; )
I went sport because alloys and fog lights were two things I really wanted on my Jetta and didn't get, the base model is just as sweet (and has a nicer shifter)
2013 Fit Sport 5MT. Nothing looks funnier than a sticker advertising SOHC
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Also, the suspension is a little different on the Sport, if I remember correctly.
2013 Honda Civic Si
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

its a bit tighter and has a rear sway bar iirc
Tagore
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Tagore »

Yup, base with the AC :) I bet the sway bars and the stiffer suspension on the sport do add to the ride, but overall I've been pretty pleased with the base.

Its fun to drive and I'm getting more confident with driving manual every day. I really enjoy trying little differences in techniques to get the hang of how the car behaves. Feeling pretty good about taking off from first but now its the 1st to 2nd shifts that I really need to smooth out! My only complaint about the car is that its pretty loud on the highway, otherwise its been excellent.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

rims 'n drop 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Remember that there is a secret little compartment underneath one of the rear passenger seats. You can access it by flipping the seat cushion up. It won't hold much, and frankly I don't know why there, but ... it's there.
2013 Honda Civic Si
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Boston Fit wrote: Image
Remember that there is a secret little compartment underneath one of the rear passenger seats. You can access it by flipping the seat cushion up. It won't hold much, and frankly I don't know why there, but ... it's there.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
rei
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rei »

Tagore wrote:t but now its the 1st to 2nd shifts that I really need to smooth out!
Same. More throttle early in the clutch release has helped, but it's my only sticking point right now