How often do you drive just for pleasure?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

How often do you drive just for pleasure?

Post by Shadow »

What I'm asking here is how often you hop in your car and just go driving for no reason other than the pleasure of driving. I'm not talking about choosing a twisty mountain road on your way to an appointment, I'm asking how often you hop if your car when you have nowhere to go, just because you feel like driving.

And after you answer that question, answer this one: What type of roads do you favor when driving for pleasure? Is it a twisty mountain road? Highways? Country back-road? Etc...?
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Re: How often do you drive just for pleasure?

Post by rml605 »

When I first got my car and as it was my first stick car, I would a lot to learn. Another time was when I was stressed out from school and just hopped in and cruised around. I don't do it often as I don't liek to waste gas for no reason lol, but I might do it more often as you made this thread.

And nothing better then some twisty back roads, as my car (TSX) is made for that and not straight line. There's this one road on the way to my job I take sometimes where it's just an awesome drive.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I wish I had the time to do this. If so, I would choose a blend of highway + country/mountain roads. I used to do this sometimes when I had my MS6 back-in-the-day.

Pretty sure if I had (oh no, not another shameless plug :roll: ) a CTS-V, I would find some time to do this :lol:
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Not often. When I do I try to go for quiet country roads where there are fewer people than cows. I'd like to just cruise and not be in a hurry to get anywhere. I don't know of any good twisty roads on which to practice "real" driving.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Often. When it comes to doller per minute aspect of it, it is cheap entertInment. It might cost me - what - 10 bucks at the very most to be out and about for an hour or two. Far cheaper than bars.

I enjoy many types of roads but twisty mountain roads are favorite. Followed by south Texas backroads.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

AHTOXA wrote:Often. When it comes to doller per minute aspect of it, it is cheap entertInment. It might cost me - what - 10 bucks at the very most to be out and about for an hour or two. Far cheaper than bars.

I enjoy many types of roads but twisty mountain roads are favorite. Followed by south Texas backroads.
My thoughts exactly. I do it often. I don't have time to do it as often as I like, so if it's a nice day and I have a few hours, I'll often hop into my car and take a drive through the mountains.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

It's amazing how much driving stick made me enjoy driving.

When I use to drive auto I would dread being the one to drive friends sometimes. Now im the one who always wants to drive. Driving auto was just driving because I needed too, now driving manual is also as if driving is one of my favorite hobbies.
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

Pretty much never. My car drinks too much fuel, lots of police around and to get to a decent twisty road you have to spend 40mins in traffic.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

40 minutes in traffic is easily worth a nice twisty road. I would not hesitate.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

At least once or twice a week. If it's a nice day/night out and I'm at home with nothing to do, I'll hop in the Miata and go for a spin. Usually this is more at night time since day time traffic here is god-awful and Chicago summers are unpleasant in a car with "functional" at best A/C.

I just love driving. And having a very communicative, small, driver focused car certainly helps that.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Chicago is easily doable in a car with no a/c. I rarely ever used a/c in any of the vehicles I've owned when I lived in Chicago. Texas, however, is not doable w/o a/c. No way.

I also do my pleasure driving at night or mid evening. Less traffic and cooler out. I also don't drive at night on regular days, in the summer at least. It's light out until nearly 9pm so most of my driving is done way before that. Night drives in the summer are refreshing due to the chance to take them, which doesn't come often during regular driving.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

AHTOXA wrote:Chicago is easily doable in a car with no a/c. I rarely ever used a/c in any of the vehicles I've owned when I lived in Chicago. Texas, however, is not doable w/o a/c. No way.

I also do my pleasure driving at night or mid evening. Less traffic and cooler out. I also don't drive at night on regular days, in the summer at least. It's light out until nearly 9pm so most of my driving is done way before that. Night drives in the summer are refreshing due to the chance to take them, which doesn't come often during regular driving.
You'd consider 90+ degrees and 80% humidity doable with no A/C? I like to consider myself more tolerant of weather and such, but driving around in that is disgusting. I always use my A/C if I feel uncomfortable. Why do my favorite thing while being drenched in sweat and feeling disgusting? I'll gladly take the MPG and power hit to feel nice.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

WOW, gone are those days!! :shock: :? :o :cry: :?: 8)
when i first got my license and later actually owned a car, i'd go driving all over the potown and albanian countryside for the fun of it. i remember getting called on my cell phone (also new to me at the time) by my college friends asking me where i was and letting me know it was dinnertime. i continued this driving around thing probably until a few years back. not sure if i just got too old mentally or physically, or if i just found other things to keep me busy. working 50-60 hours a week probably doesn't help.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, I have had no issues with Chicago's heat and humidity when I lived there.

Hell, for 10 years I've lived without a/c at the apartment. I was used to it. Driving without a/c actually felt cooler than being at home because of the airflow wicking moisture off, so I had no issues with it. Even here in TX I'm out an about a lot on the weekends as I spend 90% of my free time outdoors, and it doesn't bother me all that much. Driving in the car is different, because I spend most of my time in the office that doesn't have a covered parking garage, so my car is 150* or more by the time I get into it at the end of the day. It's also nice to sleep when it's cooler - for my dog as well.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Well Tonebone, you're a madman. :lol:

I wish I could be that resistant to heat but I suppose I'm a delicate flower with a pansy ass car. :mrgreen:

Although I love taking drives, it really bums me out that there are no actual nice/scenic/fun roads around here. It's really crappy when all of your driving (even your fun driving) consists of a bit of highway and stoplights. And the only real corners I can have fun on are 90 degree turns on intersections. Sigh.