How often do you drive just for pleasure?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Re: How often do you drive just for pleasure?

Post by Stelcom66 »

Sometimes I'll take a longer more scenic route rather than the highway to or from home. I can spend more than half the workday driving at times, but it's not with my own car. As long as the weather and traffic isn't bad I enjoy those days. Still, I very much enjoy driving my standard shift Subaru. My significant other and I will take a ride to nowhere in particular at times. I should do it on my own more often, but it seems that during time off I feel I should be doing something productive at home. I'd like to get away from that mindset more often and just take some time to drive. Yes gas is expensive - but there's certainly other ways to spend even more money during leisure time.
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

Post by zenfiz6 »

I'm kind of lucky that I live so close to work that I walk every day. Driving is mostly for pleasure. And I do take lots of trips when I can now that I have the new wheels. It's a pleasure to drive at any speed---even in traffic.

At the moment, I'm working some long hours, but, that'll change.
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I rarely just go out for a drive for the fun of it. But by having a stick shift almost every trip is a pleasure. The best stick shift driving I ever did was in the Hocking Hills of Ohio hauling a 2000 pound trailer behind my 1995 F150 4.9L 5-speed and when I took the same trailer through Yellowstone and all the other mountains on the way there and back, including Trail Ridge Road at Rocky Mountain National Park. That engine never felt as good as when it had a load to haul.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:
potownrob wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:I think that not having time isn't a very good excuse. I think that if one really wanted to, time will be found easily. I am willing to trade an hour of sleep for a good evening drive.
combine lack of time with lack of energy from working too much and sleeping too little, then it's hard to get motivated to go driving just for the fun of it. i'd imagine riding your bike and hiking have helped you to keep your energy levels up.
Well, at some point one needs to start making time. Otherwise it's a stressful spiral that only negatively affects one's health in the end. To get something you have to give something.
nah, i've tried to go on drives for pleasure, but lately i just don't enjoy driving like i used to. don't get old and fat.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

potownrob wrote:nah, i've tried to go on drives for pleasure, but lately i just don't enjoy driving like i used to. don't get old and fat.
I don't know what you're driving right now, but it seems like its time for a new ride!
2012 VW Golf R
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

daleadbull wrote:
potownrob wrote:nah, i've tried to go on drives for pleasure, but lately i just don't enjoy driving like i used to. don't get old and fat.
I don't know what you're driving right now, but it seems like its time for a new ride!
If you'll notice in Rob's sig, he's a traitor. We keep him around because pizza and hotel stories. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

For some reason that doesn't surprise me....Maybe it's time for a new car with a much more enjoyable transmission. :wink:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I always enjoy driving, particularly right after work. Not that I'd want a longer commute, but sometimes I do wish that my drive home was a bit longer, so I take a detour and waste 10-15 minutes driving.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:nah, i've tried to go on drives for pleasure, but lately i just don't enjoy driving like i used to.
Because slushbox.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchDisc wrote:
For some reason that doesn't surprise me....Maybe it's time for a new car with a much more enjoyable transmission. :wink:
nah, that's not the problem. i didn't really enjoy my manual cars more than my slushies, other than the dead-boring 03 accord. i'd say, part way into having my 98 maxima (circa 2008-10), i stopped enjoying driving in general.
daleadbull wrote:
perhaps, but idk if i can find an unmolested nsx or newer porsche or maybe a miata will do the trick...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Stelcom66
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Stelcom66 »

Yesterday my significant other and I went for a ride in her standard shift car. I think this is one of the best times of year to - no a/c required, windows down.
ManualShifterMz3s
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ManualShifterMz3s »

Shadow wrote:What I'm asking here is how often you hop in your car and just go driving for no reason other than the pleasure of driving. I'm not talking about choosing a twisty mountain road on your way to an appointment, I'm asking how often you hop if your car when you have nowhere to go, just because you feel like driving.

And after you answer that question, answer this one: What type of roads do you favor when driving for pleasure? Is it a twisty mountain road? Highways? Country back-road? Etc...?
Simply for pleasure and no other intentions/appointments/etc, I don't drive as often as I would like. However, that said, I do try to at least get out in the Fall and drive along the Hudson River Valley and the Poconos on the twistys.

This summer I drove on Route 9? in Bear Mountain. Awesome drive.

However, most times, when I drive my car, it's a pleasurable experience since I enjoy driving it, even coming to work in the morning (afternoons are mostly bumper-to-bumper).
2017 Ford Mustang, Eco-Boost, Turbo 4, 6 speed Grabber Blue
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4, Red < wife's ride
2004 Mazda 3, 2.3s, stick, Solar Yellow
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I drive Bear Mountain quite often. Lots of fantastic roads around the area.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:perhaps, but idk if i can find an unmolested nsx or newer porsche or maybe a miata will do the stick...
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"