Got a new car

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Got a new car

Post by Boston Fit »

To accommodate an expanding family, I am bidding farewell to my 6-speed MINI Cooper Hardtop and picking up a new 4-door sedan next week. As I was choosing a new car, my criteria were as follows:

Must have: 4 doors, manual transmission
Preferable: Compact, fuel efficient, fun to drive, AWD, hatch
Budget: Around $30K

Right off the bat, I learned (with help from the folks here) that Stick+AWD=Slim Pickings. VW Tiguan and Mazda CX-5 are available with stick, but only in base-level FWD trim which, for me, largely undermines the appeal of a crossover. Subaru Forester comes with AWD and 6-speed manual, but fell short on shifter feel and fun-to-drive-ness. MINI Countryman checked all the right boxes, but two years of MINI quirkiness were enough for me.

Since my wife and I already have an AWD SUV in our household for practical needs, I decided to cross AWD and hatch off my wish list. That opened up a number of possibilities including a pristine 2009 BMW 328i xDrive that I would have bought if not for concerns about long-term reliability. VW GTI drove and shifted well, but reliability once again was a concern. Acura's ILX 2.4L and TSX Special Edition were contenders, but I couldn't quite see the value proposition.

In the end, I bought a 2013 Honda Civic Si which shares the same - or at least, very similar - naturally-aspirated, 2.4L, 201-hp, 4-cylinder powerplant as the two Acuras I mentioned. While it does not check all the boxes on my original wish list, it delivers the important ones. It also has an absolutely heavenly clutch/shifter feel. I am not crazy about the silly spoiler, but it's a small gripe that I can live with.

One thing I learned from my search is that manual transmissions are still out there, but they are becoming second-class citizens relegated to lower-trim levels within a given model. Civic Si bucks the trend by being available exclusively with 6-speed manual transmission, and by offering premium-trim goodies like an upgraded engine, sharper suspension and steering, fancier wheels, moonroof, optional navigation, etc.

One thing I will miss about my MINI is its tight handling and unbelievable, bolted-to-rails cornering ability. On twisty roads, I knew that no one this side of a Porsche 911 could beat me. On the other hand, my passengers will not miss having their spines shattered with every bump in the road.

I don't have any live photos of the Civic yet, but down below are some stock images from "The Internet."

Out:

In:

2013 Honda Civic Si
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Got a new car

Post by tankinbeans »

Congratulations on the new ride.

Wasn't the ILX designed and based upon the Civic in the first place?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
MFan
Junior Standardshifter

Post by MFan »

Liking the new Si...congrats. Looks like a fun ride. Wished there is a rear spoiler delete option...at least for the sedan, but at least it's a more conservative design than the previous gen's funky rear spoiler.
2008 BMW MCoupe
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Thanks guys. Yes, the Acura ILX is Civic-based. In particular, the manual-only ILX 2.4L 201-hp trim appears to be a reskinned Civic Si, with nicer amenities but same engine and transmission. As a result, it seems to suffer from a bit of an identity crisis, being stuck halfway between econobox and luxury territory. As for the Si's rear wing, it would be nice if buyers could opt out of it - I don't usually like spoilers on sedans - but I'll get used to it.
2013 Honda Civic Si
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

I am jealous! hahaha Congrats!
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

You can always just have a body shop (or yourself) remove the spoiler and fill in the holes.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Nice car!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

uber nice!! :D
i would've given the gti another chance though :? :idea: 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

That wing is mild by today's standards, but if you'd rather see it gone, make it go away. Then you'll have a unique car without having to bolt on all manner of ugly crud that people like to do. Like six said, have a body shop fill the holes. Any decent body shop can make it so you'd never know it had anything there before.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Leave the spoiler on there!

There's not much else to grab onto since they got rid of chromed steel bumpers.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Thanks for all the spoiler advice! Good to know I have some options. I'll leave it in place for now and see how it goes.

potownrob - I hear you on the GTI, which often gets cross-shopped with the Si. GTI seems to have more low-end torque and bigger storage capacity thanks to its hatch. The Si had crisper clutch/shift action plus a better reputation for reliability. (I remember the GTI having longer clutch travel and a shifter that was literally longer.) Price and performance specs are similar on paper. Appearance is always subjective, but to me, both cars look purposeful and are stealthy enough to fly under the radar, which was important. Build quality seemed solid on both, with perhaps a slight edge going to the Si (against my preconceived notions) based on the quality of its seats, the feel of its compartments and switches, little things like that. How's that for overanalyzing? Really, I could easily be happy with either one.

bk7794 - Seems like you're a Civic fan. Do you really have 308K on your 1991 Civic?!
2013 Honda Civic Si
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Let's see some real pictures of the car!
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Will do. I drove it home from the dealer last night, but now I am out of town for a few days. I'll take some photos when I get back. It's the same gray color as in the stock photos I posted earlier.
2013 Honda Civic Si
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

Boston Fit wrote:Thanks for all the spoiler advice! Good to know I have some options. I'll leave it in place for now and see how it goes.

potownrob - I hear you on the GTI, which often gets cross-shopped with the Si. GTI seems to have more low-end torque and bigger storage capacity thanks to its hatch. The Si had crisper clutch/shift action plus a better reputation for reliability. (I remember the GTI having longer clutch travel and a shifter that was literally longer.) Price and performance specs are similar on paper. Appearance is always subjective, but to me, both cars look purposeful and are stealthy enough to fly under the radar, which was important. Build quality seemed solid on both, with perhaps a slight edge going to the Si (against my preconceived notions) based on the quality of its seats, the feel of its compartments and switches, little things like that. How's that for overanalyzing? Really, I could easily be happy with either one.

bk7794 - Seems like you're a Civic fan. Do you really have 308K on your 1991 Civic?!
Firs of all, congrats on the new car, great choice!

Seems to me like a Golf R would have checked all your boxes except for price. It is limited production so maybe a little harder to find also.

GTI would have been a great choice as well, especially the new one that's supposed to be coming out next year. I also disagree that the build quality/interior materials on the SI is better than the GTI. The GTI literally has the same interior quality of an Audi. I don't see how a civic can match that. In any case, SI is a good drivers car and you can't go wrong with that. Just watch out when that Vtec kicks in yo!
2012 VW Golf R
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Boston Fit wrote: bk7794 - Seems like you're a Civic fan. Do you really have 308K on your 1991 Civic?!
I do! I think it rolled over to 310k. Been a bit since I have driven it. Transmissions shifts good, 4th gear syncro was starting to get a little scratchy but still went in fine. The body is rusting pretty bad though. Still got in the high 30s for fuel economy.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed