How do you feel about active rev matching?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Re: How do you feel about active rev matching?

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:
daleadbull wrote:I noticed that you do a lot of skip downshifting. Do you just go straight from 6 to 4 while rev matching? Does anyone else routinely skip downshift while rev matching?
I almost never sequentially downshift. I shift straight into whichever gear I want. There's no need to shift into any other gear on the way there. I do rev match, and often I DC.

(In practice, my current car's wide ratios mean the gear I want is usually the next gear, so I don't do a lot of block shifting in it, but in more common close ratio gearboxes I skip gears all the time, even sometimes on upshifts.)
I guess my question was more to do with passing on the highway. If I'm in 6th and I want to pass I'll drop it to 5th and go. Sometimes I don't even downshift depending on speed and RPMs. I guess downshifting more than one gear when trying to pass has to do with your cars powerband and gear ratios.

I agree that if you want to downshift from 6th to 3rd or something like that, there's no point in going sequentially and that's when I skip gears as well.

But sometimes sequentially downshifting is fun, its extremely satisfying to hit multiple rev matched DS in a row!

On upshifts, I skip shift whenever I can. It helps with fuel economy.
2012 VW Golf R
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I go 5-3 all the time for passing, unless I'm behind a dottering ninny who can't maintain the speed limit and is only a couple MPH off. If I'm not behind a dottering ninny, and the person is 15-20 MPH off, I'll do by 5-3, scream POWER and floor it. The 160 hamsters hop to and motivate me rather quicklike.

It's always hilariously infuriating when I can pass somebody, at a good clip, while doing the speed limit. Of course I make sure I won't be holding anybody up.

Passing with cruise on is especially hilarious.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Only time i skip gears on upshifting is when I feel like flooring it out of the hole on surface streets. Then by the time second gear is half wound out you are exceeding the limit, so no point using third, just shift straigh to 4th.

Downshifting, sometimes I go sequentially though every gear (and now will do some rev matching), sometimes skip the lowest gears if coming to a complete stop.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:The most egregious example of this, that I've done, is a 1-5 at 35 mph. I'd already wound it out as much as I could and was at cruising speed anyway so I DCed into 5th. The other 3 gears would have been superfluous at that point.
+1 I did that a few times when I had the 2008 VW.
daleadbull wrote:I guess my question was more to do with passing on the highway. If I'm in 6th and I want to pass I'll drop it to 5th and go. Sometimes I don't even downshift depending on speed and RPMs. I guess downshifting more than one gear when trying to pass has to do with your cars powerband and gear ratios.
Yup, this is entirely dependent on the car and what you're trying to accomplish.
On upshifts, I skip shift whenever I can. It helps with fuel economy.
I experimented with skip-shifting for normal acceleration on the VW and did not find it advantageous vs. just keeping RPM low and shifting to the next gear ASAP. This is certainly a textbook case of YMMV.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

daleadbull wrote:
rml605 wrote:Did a lot of highway driving today with a good amount of 6-4 DS for passing. I don't know how I would drive a manual without rev matching. It's the complete thrill of it for me.
I noticed that you do a lot of skip downshifting. Do you just go straight from 6 to 4 while rev matching? Does anyone else routinely skip downshift while rev matching?

I guess it depends on how close your gear ratios are. Mine are fairly close, so I just go down one gear at a time while trying to pass. The only time I go from 6th to 3rd or 2nd is when approaching a really tight turn.
I do a lot of skipping. Mostly 5-3 for turns, especially one turning into my neighborhood. I'll go 3-2, 4-2 gives me trouble just doing it straight so i'll double clutch that DS. If im in 5th and need 2nd i'll go 5-3-2. I rarely sequential DS unless I go 4-3. I guess it depends on your car. I remember being behind a G8, loud as hell, on the road. He would DS what it seemed like 5th to 2nd EVERYTIME coming up to a stop light.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

rml605 wrote:I remember being behind a G8, loud as hell, on the road. He would DS what it seemed like 5th to 2nd EVERYTIME coming up to a stop light.
Sounds like a DBag who is entirely too impressed with himself.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

theholycow wrote:
daleadbull wrote:I guess my question was more to do with passing on the highway. If I'm in 6th and I want to pass I'll drop it to 5th and go. Sometimes I don't even downshift depending on speed and RPMs. I guess downshifting more than one gear when trying to pass has to do with your cars powerband and gear ratios.
Yup, this is entirely dependent on the car and what you're trying to accomplish.
Yup. I pretty much never downshift to pass on the highway. No need.

As for block/skip shifting: All the time. I just go for whatever gear I need. I most frequently skip 3rd, 4th, or both. That goes for both upshifting and downshifting.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

I've never thought about skip upshifting.

How do you do it?

Just DC, blip in N to desired RPM for example 5th gear would be in? I'll try it but seems like i'll be pretty slow.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Generally you single-clutch, but if you want to DC you generally don't blip (unless your car drops RPM really fast), you just wait for RPM to fall. Depending on vehicle, DCing any upshift (sequential or skipping gears) can be really slow.

rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

So you would just be holding clutch down longer, no? Because your RPMs would obviously be lower if you're going from 2-5 as if you were 2-3. Wouldn't that be bad for clutch (throwout bearing) so wouldn't DC make more sense?
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

I have never DC'd before, but yesterday I was coasting at 20 mph in neutral, so I blipped the throttle (clutch engaged), quickly hit the clutch and threw it into 1st gear (at 20 mph). It went in very easily. Tried it again without the blip before hitting the clutch and it was much harder (of course, had to give the syncro a heavy workout).
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:So you would just be holding clutch down longer, no? Because your RPMs would obviously be lower if you're going from 2-5 as if you were 2-3. Wouldn't that be bad for clutch (throwout bearing) so wouldn't DC make more sense?
Throwout bearings have an undeserved bad rap. You aren't going to hurt it by using it that way. If you sit for 5 minutes at a broken traffic light every morning standing on the clutch pedal, you might kill it before the clutch disc wears out.

As Rope-Pusher says, you can't wash one hand without making the other one dirty. If you DC instead of SC, you put more wear on the entire clutch release system instead of just the bearing. Again it's nothing worth even considering, but if you're paranoid or just interested in which way you can split hairs, that's another thing to look at.

Either way rev-matching an upshift, especially skipping gears, can take an awful long time.

Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

daleadbull wrote: I guess my question was more to do with passing on the highway. If I'm in 6th and I want to pass I'll drop it to 5th and go. Sometimes I don't even downshift depending on speed and RPMs. I guess downshifting more than one gear when trying to pass has to do with your cars powerband and gear ratios.
Your car, like mine, really doesn't need to be downshifted to pass on the highway. I mean, you can downshift if you really need to pass someone as quickly as possible, but the little 2.0 Turbo engine has more than enough torque to pass without ever downshifting out of 6th gear. I rarely downshift to pass on the highway.
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

theholycow wrote:
rml605 wrote:So you would just be holding clutch down longer, no? Because your RPMs would obviously be lower if you're going from 2-5 as if you were 2-3. Wouldn't that be bad for clutch (throwout bearing) so wouldn't DC make more sense?
Throwout bearings have an undeserved bad rap. You aren't going to hurt it by using it that way. If you sit for 5 minutes at a broken traffic light every morning standing on the clutch pedal, you might kill it before the clutch disc wears out.

As Rope-Pusher says, you can't wash one hand without making the other one dirty. If you DC instead of SC, you put more wear on the entire clutch release system instead of just the bearing. Again it's nothing worth even considering, but if you're paranoid or just interested in which way you can split hairs, that's another thing to look at.

Either way rev-matching an upshift, especially skipping gears, can take an awful long time.
I guess it depends on how fast your revs drop, but it really doesn't take more than 1-2 seconds for me.

I don't skip from 2-6 or nothing crazy like that. I usually skip 3-5 or 4-6, rarely more than 1 gear on upshifts. If I get up to speed on a lower gear, I usually just skip to whatever cruising gear I want to use.
Shadow wrote:
daleadbull wrote: I guess my question was more to do with passing on the highway. If I'm in 6th and I want to pass I'll drop it to 5th and go. Sometimes I don't even downshift depending on speed and RPMs. I guess downshifting more than one gear when trying to pass has to do with your cars powerband and gear ratios.
Your car, like mine, really doesn't need to be downshifted to pass on the highway. I mean, you can downshift if you really need to pass someone as quickly as possible, but the little 2.0 Turbo engine has more than enough torque to pass without ever downshifting out of 6th gear. I rarely downshift to pass on the highway.
Yea my car is already spinning around 3k at highway speeds, so turbo is already spooled ready to go.
2012 VW Golf R
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

daleadbull wrote: Yea my car is already spinning around 3k at highway speeds, so turbo is already spooled ready to go.
Really? Your car must be geared a lot differently than mine. I'm well under 3K RPM at 65 MPH. Still though, the engine is already making maximum torque in 6th gear at just about any typical highway speed.