Being the passenger in other stick cars

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Being the passenger in other stick cars

Post by rml605 »

Anyone love getting into the car and seeing the car is a stick? I say this because im always curious to see how they drive compared to me. I often will even look at their tach to see how they're timing their shifts. :lol:
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Being the passenger in other stick cars

Post by theholycow »

Considering how rarely I am a passenger, I'm just happy to be a passenger regardless of transmission.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I'm always relieved when the other driver makes the same minor errors that I do. Makes it feel less awkward. However, then I realize that trying to rev match isn't even in their radar. "Gee, let's go 5 to 3, jam stick in gear let off clutch, jerk car, floor gas, copious head bobble." Makes for an uncomfortable ride, but since I'm nowhere near perfect at rev matching I don't say anything.

The weird part is that my roommate drives the same car I do, same color, trim, year (sans sunroof) and that makes it feel doubly weird. It's like being a passenger in your own car, but not.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

haven't ridden in a manual car in a while, but i usually would know the car was manual before sitting in it (from looking through the window). i've experienced various riding environments, ranging from calm driving where i had to check to make sure the car was truly a manual to insane wannabe racecar drivers who must've felt they had to beat every car they came across to the next town. a lot of people apparently either don't know what rev-matching is, don't know how to do it, or don't appreciate it's usefulness.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

If you ever travel abroad (parts of Europe, Far East) and go for a cab ride, you'll see the art form is alive and well there.
2013 Honda Civic Si
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

rml605 wrote:Anyone love getting into the car and seeing the car is a stick? I say this because im always curious to see how they drive compared to me. I often will even look at their tach to see how they're timing their shifts. :lol:
I rarely am in this situation but it is nice, especially on a longer trip where you may get to drive part of the way--that has happened to me twice over the past 20 years. The one complimented me on my ability to launch smoothly (I noticed his launches were bucky). I had great satisfaction in that because he was the office know-it-all, so to receive a compliment from him was particularly unusual.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

potownrob wrote:haven't ridden in a manual car in a while, but i usually would know the car was manual before sitting in it (from looking through the window). i've experienced various riding environments, ranging from calm driving where i had to check to make sure the car was truly a manual to insane wannabe racecar drivers who must've felt they had to beat every car they came across to the next town. a lot of people apparently either don't know what rev-matching is, don't know how to do it, or don't appreciate it's usefulness.
I was in a car with a guy who thought he was in F&F. He would dump the clutch and rev the car and basically near RL every shift. It was horrible. I had a headache afterwards and when I got out, I smelt clutch from his car.

I still don't understand though how people get away with not rev matching. If you're cruising in 5th and need to get into 2nd/3rd..what do you do then? Accept the massive jerk?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Yeah, they just accept it. I have a good friend who drives manual like that - has done so for about 8 years. Never had clutch issues but his driving is very jerky. One time we were doing some local driving and with all the stop and go and jerk jerk jerk it got very frustrating and tiring. He was kind of a lumberjack with the manual. Very coarse and always worked it ham fisted w/o much finesse.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

About the only time that I'm a passenger in a stick controlled car is the rare times my wife drives the Fiesta with both of us present. Typically, if we're both there, I drive, but rarely, she does. She likes to rev higher than I do before shifts and since she's really short, keeps her foot on/near the clutch pedal. That last part makes me cringe slightly, but she doesn't actually push it at all, so I'm not really that concerned.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Being a passenger in a stick is exactly how I got into driving a stick! I would ride with my dad all the time and think wow this is really fun! :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

Other than trying to get my wife to learn/drive stick, last time I was a passenger, much less in a stick shift, was years ago and the driver was a go-speed-racer type. good but definitely not into smooth, steady, finesse. previous time before that was lunatic racer...80 mph with 60mph traffic, slam the brakes on and stop short of other cars by less than 2' I kid you not. Perfectly attentive but totally reckless. Since riding with him not much phases me.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
daleadbull
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Golf R

Post by daleadbull »

I was just in India a couple weeks ago and cars there are predominantly stick. I'm sure you've also heard stories about the traffic there. I got to ride in a couple cars there and it was really interesting seeing the different driving styles. One guy would never downshift directly, instead he would just stick the car in neutral and coast till he had to accelerate again. Then he could just put it in the right gear and go. This is definitely more convenient than downshifting every time in stop and go traffic, so I decided to add this to my arsenal. One cab driver even stalled the car once, that made me feel good lol I was like see even he stalls every once in a while and he drives for a living.

I also don't think I saw one single rev match the whole time lol but they were still relatively smooth even without rev matching. Most of the cab drivers there are self taught, so they've probably never even heard of rev matching.

I really love being a passenger in other stick cars, its always interesting and I learn a few things every now and then. Its too bad I don't know a single person (personally) around here that drives stick.
2012 VW Golf R
Krimsalt
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Krimsalt »

I love when people get into my car and are in awe that it's stick. I hate/love it when some passengers get in and ask me as I shift "why do you go up and down?" because they think automatic is the only thing
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Krimsalt wrote:I love when people get into my car and are in awe that it's stick. I hate/love it when some passengers get in and ask me as I shift "why do you go up and down?" because they think automatic is the only thing
There's a facepalm and a half.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!