New cars that no longer offer manual transmission

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

New cars that no longer offer manual transmission

Post by Shadow »

Lets make a list of new cars that no longer offer a manual transmission option. Of course that means that the car in question had to have been available with a stick the year before, but for whatever reason, it is no longer offered on the latest model year.

I'll start with these two:

2014 Lexus IS (I have no idea why they killed the stick in a car that Lexus wants to compete with the BMW 3-series and the Audi A4)

2014 Porsche 911 Turbo (Really, Porsche? Really?)
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: New cars that no longer offer manual transmission

Post by ClutchDisc »

The one that I could think of off hand:

2013 Ford Escape
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The new Cherokee will not be sold to the Amish in North America.
(Yeah, I know that was more than 10 years since they sold any Cherokees in North America)

On a related note:

Bring Out Your Dead: Jeep Liberty

Despite it going out of production last summer, Jeep dealers are still selling off the last Liberty SUVs sitting on lots. Jeep sold 94 copies of the Liberty last month, bringing the year-to-date total to 5988 copies. The Liberty is being replaced this fall by the all-new 2014 Jeep Cherokee, which was revealed at the New York auto show in March. The 2014 Cherokee shares its platform with the Dodge Dart and is powered by either a 184-hp 2.4-liter I-4 or a 271-hp 3.2-liter V-6, both mated to a nine-speed automatic. The 2014 Cherokee goes on sale in the third quarter of this year and starts at $23,990, including destination.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/chrysler-june ... z2Y0DVaMz8
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Many of the features that drivers of a certain age find familiar are dying out or already dead, Fortune Magazine said, offering a list that included: manual transmissions, keys, crank windows, antennas, handbrakes, bias-ply tires, bench seats, hardtop convertibles, 85 mph speedometers, spare tires and hinged vent windows. To read the complete articles, go to: http://money.cnn.com/gallery/autos/2013 ... index.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:The 2014 Cherokee shares its platform with the Dodge Dart and is powered by either a 184-hp 2.4-liter I-4 or a 271-hp 3.2-liter V-6, both mated to a nine-speed automatic. The 2014 Cherokee goes on sale in the third quarter of this year and starts at $23,990, including destination.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/chrysler-june ... z2Y0DVaMz8
who would've thought the day would come...seems like overkill to me but maybe it's for the better. did they borrow it from the benz parts bin??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

There is no Benz parts bin.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Toyota/Lexus doesn't appear to like manuals at all. There are very few Toyotas available anymore. I think the Yaris, Corolla, and Tacoma are the only vehicles you can still get a stick. In the Scions, the xD, the xB, the tC, and the FR-S all can have sticks, which is nice. I'm not familiar enough with the Lexus line to know on those.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

There are now no more Lexuses with manuals. The only one was the IS250, and it's going away (the manual option, not the car). On a side note, the IS350 now comes with an 8-speed auto (with paddle shifters!).
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

six wrote: On a side note, the IS350 now comes with an 8-speed auto (with paddle shifters!).
Only if you choose the RWD IS350. If you want an AWD version, you're stuck with the old 6-speed automatic. It's really lame that there are always "conditions" when it comes to making choices with the Lexus IS. Just like people were forced to get the IS250 if they wanted a stick in the prior model because the IS350 was only available with an automatic. Now you can't get the new 8-speed automatic if you want AWD. It's always something....LOL

I'm really starting to like the styling on the new IS. The first time I got a look at a picture of it, I was like "meh", but now it looks really good. I prefer the front end of the base models to the F-Sport, simply because I don't like the weird cuts/angles on the lower from bumper of the F-Sport. I'm definitely not looking to buy a new car any time soon, but if I were, I could see myself in an IS350 AWD with a 6-speed manual transmission. Too bad that car doesn't exist.
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

IS350s are fast.

Pretty sure stock they can run like low 13s. They're nice cars. It's a shame no one is offering manuals anymore in these cars.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

rml605 wrote:IS350s are fast.

Pretty sure stock they can run like low 13s. They're nice cars. It's a shame no one is offering manuals anymore in these cars.
Nothing can beat the IS300 of yore, since it sported the 2JZ-GE engine (yes, the Supra engine). A simple header, intake, exhaust, and turbo kit made it over 400hp easy.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Its common knowledge that fools with too much money don't like amish transmissions :roll:, they want an expensive refined piece of technology to shift for them, like a SMG.

Manuals are actually gaining popularity, especially with economy cars and hot hatches.

Its one reason I bought my Sonic....originally the turbo model was only offered with a 6-speed manual. That and other features convinced me that GM finally got its head out of its ass and produced a car I like. This, from the same company that 10 years earlier offered cars like the Grand Prix GTP only with a 4-speed slush.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

This is only tangentially on point -

The all-new Infiniti Q50 will be auto-only upon introduction. No surprise there. What's unusual is that manual transmission might be offered later ("hopefully," Infiniti says). I'm happy to hear that, though I have to wonder why they would consider making two transmissions available in the future when only one is initially available.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/no-manu ... i-q50.html
2013 Honda Civic Si
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It's easier to tool up and produce x units of exactly the same widget than it is to split the production between multiple options. Simplifying the product mix at launch is one way to minimize the surprises in the early production and improve quality. Then the product mix can be complicated when production is running smoothly and there's less to go wrong.
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Thanks, got it.
2013 Honda Civic Si