Future stick shift driver!

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Future stick shift driver!

Post by Shadow »

I used to do this in my dad's Chevy truck:

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Future stick shift driver!

Post by ClutchFork »

Nice. My dad didn't have a stick shift when I was a kid, but he always let me have the first sip whem he opened a bottle of beer. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

That would have been fun when I was a young'un. My dad never let me do much more than start his car in the winter.

I do have to say that that would have been a lot to coordinate and try to make sure both parties were on the same page. My brother liked to try and teach people when he had a manual by doing the shifting for them and telling them when to clutch in. I'd've gotten supper confused if I was trying to learn that way.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:

I do have to say that that would have been a lot to coordinate and try to make sure both parties were on the same page....
When I used to shift for my dad, I'd just listen to the engine and shift at the appropriate time by the sound alone. The guy in the video is letting his daughter decide when to shift. That's probably not the best idea unless the girl tells him to shift and gives him a second to disengage the clutch.

I honestly think shifting my dad's truck when I was a kid is probably what made me want to own/drive a stickshift car when I got old enough to drive on my own.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

That's great. :) She looks like a natural too, the way she "cups" her hand on the shifter when not shifting, the way she looks around. Future stick shift driver for sure, if she could find one when she turns 16 :? :?
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

I like how he says "someone's mad at us behind us" and she turns to look out the back of the car! :lol:

Seriously though, he probably should only let her shift in neighborhoods, not where there is a lot of traffic.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

My mom did this with me for years. We got to the point where we wouldn't even have to talk about it; she'd clutch in, and I'd know from the cues around me whether we needed to upshift or downshift. Great way to inspire that interest early on.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Two people can eat icecream cones and jointly drive an Amish car back to the office after lunch. The driver steers and slurps and the passenger shifts and slurps. Rumor has it a car can even be powershifted by a well-coordinated pair.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Two people can eat icecream cones and jointly drive an Amish car back to the office after lunch. The driver steers and slurps and the passenger shifts and slurps. Rumor has it a car can even be powershifted by a well-coordinated pair.
sorry, it wouldn't let me edit the words on his shirt
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

i'm amazed on how patient he is. Must develop that when you have a kid or something.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

six wrote:That's great. :) She looks like a natural too, the way she "cups" her hand on the shifter when not shifting, the way she looks around. Future stick shift driver for sure, if she could find one when she turns 16 :? :?
she won't be waiting that long; in two years she'll be working on the big sticks.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't think even my brother's ex-female started that early and she seems to know too much about operating sticks.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"