How Often Do You Use Your Parking Brake? (no slushbox votes)

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!

How Often Do You Use Your Parking Brake?

Never! (O%)
No votes
On Rare Occasion (up to 5%)
No votes
Sometimes (between 5% and 40%)
No votes
About Half the Time (40% to 60%)
5%
Much of the time (between 60% and 80%)
No votes
Most of the Time (80 to 99%)
23%
Always, Without Fail! (100%, no exceptions)
68%
What is a Parking Brake?
No votes
My Parking Brake is Broken!
No votes
Other (please explain)
5%

Total votes: 22

ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: How Often Do You Use Your Parking Brake? (no slushbox vo

Post by ClutchDisc »

potownrob wrote:you mean to brake, do donuts, for fun or just when parked?? what if you always use the handbrake in your slushbox??
No slushbox votes. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!! :mrgreen:
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote:you mean to brake, do donuts, for fun or just when parked?? what if you always use the handbrake in your slushbox??
I meant when parking, but you do raise some interesting options. Those are for the "other" category I guess. Tell us more about the parking brake fun and games. Hey, where is the parking brake on a front wheel drive car? In the back? That would be great! You could apply the parking brake extra firm to do burnouts. Would the burnout be best in forward, possibly dragging the rear along, or in reverse to imitate a rear wheel drive car with a line lock on the front brakes?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchDisc wrote:
No slushbox votes. NO EXCEPTIONS!!!!! :mrgreen:
too late :P :D :mrgreen:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:I meant when parking, but you do raise some interesting options. Those are for the "other" category I guess. Tell us more about the parking brake fun and games. Hey, where is the parking brake on a front wheel drive car? In the back? That would be great! You could apply the parking brake extra firm to do burnouts. Would the burnout be best in forward, possibly dragging the rear along, or in reverse to imitate a rear wheel drive car with a line lock on the front brakes?
Yes, parking brake is in the rear in FWD/AWD cars just like in RWD/4WD. It's pretty much the only way most FWD drivers can manage to get sideways, except cars with exceptional weight distribution, modified cars, or drivers who have practiced. I'm not sure about reverse burnouts in FWD but forward burnouts don't require the parking brake or much power, just like reverse burnouts in RWD, and are equally unimpressive (and quite unexciting to do as the driver).

If it were up to me, RWD/4WD would have the parking brake in front. That would provide more braked wheels when parking and when the hydraulic braking system fails. Actually, 4 wheel parking brake would be even cooler...
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

potownrob wrote:what if you always use the handbrake in your slushbox??
You're doing it wrong. :lol: :lol:

And it's always 1st gear/reverse, then parking brake. Never get out of the car without doing both. My dad had a parking brake fail on him without leaving a car in gear once on their driveway, causing some damage to their car...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:
potownrob wrote:what if you always use the handbrake in your slushbox??
You're doing it wrong. :lol: :lol:
Nah. Dinky little sheet metal park pawl < real brakes. Anyway, without the brake you only need one tire to slip before the vehicle starts sliding. How many times do I want to chase my truck down a hill?

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Well, I was thinking about driving with the hand brake on in a slush since he had mentioned doing donuts, etc...

But yeah. Everyone has driven at least a short distance with the parking brake on in a slush before realizing THAT was why the car was acting funny... :roll: :lol:

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:Well, I was thinking about driving with the hand brake on in a slush since he had mentioned doing donuts, etc...

But yeah. Everyone has driven at least a short distance with the parking brake on in a slush before realizing THAT was why the car was acting funny... :roll: :lol:
Exactly, you don't have the feedback feel of a manual. You will instantly know the parking brake is on in a manual. And I do forget and leave it on in the slusher and get a nasty bad hot smell out of the rear wheels after I stop.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:Well, I was thinking about driving with the hand brake on in a slush since he had mentioned doing donuts, etc...

If it's a foot brake, maybe...but with a handbrake you've got a big handle sticking in your side in addition to the drag, dash indicator, and maybe the beeping. Somehow people would still bring my Grand Am back complaining of slowness and brake smell. Am I really that much more in touch with the car than others are?

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I would say it is more of a distraction thing rather than lack of connection with the car. Though in an auto, you don't notice it as much. I've only tried to move a handful of times in the Fiesta with the handbrake still on, and usually, it's because I got in, was ready to go, got out again, and then back in to actually leave. AKA distracted. It's a very quick thing to catch though :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
chrisa
Junior Standardshifter

Post by chrisa »

watkins wrote:My car forces me to park in reverse to take out the key, so Im always in gear.

Same here...at least I won't accidentally forget to put it in gear and have it roll away. :D
I always put the brake on without fail. Can't see any reason not to.
2003 Saab 9-5 Aero
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Tell you what.....if you have an electronic parking brake, the car ain't moving with the e-brake on whether it's a slush or a stick. Just not gonna happen. So no worries about accidental driveaways.