Typical pedal pressure for clutch (and how to measure it)

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Typical pedal pressure for clutch (and how to measure it

Post by theholycow »

InlinePaul wrote:Ah, I see. This is not a factory manual setup. You converted it. Nice work! More people should do this. The fact that it is working is a major success as I understand this is not a simple task.
On a pre-computer vehicle that was offered with manual it wouldn't be too complicated, mostly just get the parts and bolt them on. Mine was not offered with a manual so there were no off-the-shelf parts to use nor were there clutch pedal mounting provisions, my engine wasn't offered with a manual in other vehicles so finding a flywheel was quite difficult, and the transmission I used wasn't compatible with a clutch that matched the flywheel. There were plenty of other challenges like that, too, that don't immediately come to mind. To top it all off, I was nowhere near qualified to do such a project. I learned so much that I am now qualified to do everything with nothing. ;) I like to pat myself on the back about the whole thing once in a while.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

That pat-yourself-on-the-back apparatus has vague resemblence to a full manual clutch linkage. :lol:

I had an '84 Pontiac Bonneville once. It was rear drive and V6. Nice car, as I am sure your Buick is too. Had to be rear drive. I can't imagine converting a front drive unless it was one that comes in manual transmission also.

So, I would love to see photographs of the car, and the concersion. Do you have a thread on it somewhere?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Yup, the '84 Bonneville is on the same platform as my car, even. I mined one that I found in a junkyard last year and got some parts.

I have an incredibly long thread mostly full of hot air/joking around/BS and a plethora of photos (and even some videos) of the ugly hacks (and occasionally proper work) that I did. All the links are here:
https://sites.google.com/site/hackensteinberg/

But anyway, I love driving it, and the clutch pedal pressure is just right for me. A heavier clutch pedal is easier for me to control. I'm not sure but I guess it's because I don't have to lift my leg off of it, I just have to push it less and it pushes back and lifts my leg for me. I've got plenty of muscle in my legs from weighing 220 pounds and still leftover from when I was an avid bicyclist and in roofing, but it was all muscle for pushing down...climbing a ladder with a bundle of shingles, shoving those pedals, etc.

And regarding size of clutch: Indeed, right-sized for the system...but we sure had no reason to think that would be the case. Rope-Pusher, you were quite concerned that it was going to be too small for the torque involved, since we assumed the pressure plate springs would be normal. I wasn't educated enough to be concerned (until I learned that and a million other things from you :)). I checked Autozone and they don't have that clutch cover assembly part number anymore, so the next time I might end up having to buy a "stage 1" or something.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

theholycow wrote:I have an incredibly long thread mostly full of hot air/joking around/BS and a plethora of photos (and even some videos) of the ugly hacks (and occasionally proper work) that I did. All the links are here:
https://sites.google.com/site/hackensteinberg/
You gain a ton of respect for that job. You are a true gearhead. I am only an armchair gearhead. Oh I have replaced a clutch before and done a few other repairs, but nothing of any complexity. You had to be extremely dedicated to complete that project and the best part is it works nicely and you love to drive it. And that you did it in the dirt in the back yard is one more amazing factor. Don't you just love it when you are finally getting a particular part lined up just so and ready to secure it and a horse fly bites the back of your hand causing you to drop the nut? Or when you are forearm deep in grease and oil and mosquitos are biting your face and you end up slapping grease all over your face?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

I managed to avoid horseflies but last year I got lyme disease, possibly from a tick picked up while working on the vehicles in the yard or possibly from one picked up while mountain biking on overgrown singletrack...found a few ticks on me from each of those activities. This post reminds me I need to treat my yard again. I did it after the first few ticks I found while working on the vehicles last year.

Thank you for the compliments. I was definitely dedicated, out of both passion and economic necessity. I reap the rewards for 75-80 miles every day when I drive it to and from work.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:I managed to avoid horseflies but last year I got lyme disease, possibly from a tick picked up while working on the vehicles in the yard or possibly from one picked up while mountain biking on overgrown singletrack...found a few ticks on me from each of those activities. This post reminds me I need to treat my yard again. I did it after the first few ticks I found while working on the vehicles last year.

Thank you for the compliments. I was definitely dedicated, out of both passion and economic necessity. I reap the rewards for 75-80 miles every day when I drive it to and from work.
thanks for reminding me to check for ticks when i go riding again. so much to think about, and i definitely don't want to get lymes again.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Image
... i definitely don't want to get lymes again.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"