Leaving for work late...and getting there early

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Leaving for work late...and getting there early

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:Traffic fines in Germany are based on a percentage of income, a license cannot be obtained until the age of 18, and driver's training costs in the neighborhood of $2000. I think the behind the wheel portion is something like 100 hours one-on-one with a licensed instructor. They definitely take driving more seriously. I've spoken to a few exchange students who couldn't understand how we were driving at 16.

Hmmm...I'd actually support all of the above here in the U.S.

Implementing the above would probably make a big difference here....

Funny thing happened today--this lady was cruising in the fast lane, doing about 65 mph (which was the posted speed limit) and nobody in front of her for at least 500 feet. I was in the right lane and about 50 feet behind her, pretty much matching her speed. One by one, drivers in the left lane approached her from behind and then passed her on the right. I watched at least 6 or 7 cars do that and the lady still never moved over. Then someone came up on her quickly. When it was clear she wouldn't move over, the driver behind her passed her on the right, but just as he passed her, he switched back into the left lane, nearly cutting her off. I guess he was teaching her a lesson. The bad thing is that the lady swerved to her left because she was surprised by the other driver. Then she swerved hard to the right to compensate, nearly over-correcting herself and losing control. So me, nothing but an innocent bystander, could have gotten into an accident because of two idiots: the lady cruising in the left lane and the moron who decided to teach her a lesson by buzzing her as he passed her. Unbelievable.
Last edited by Shadow on Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Re: Leaving for work late...and getting there early

Post by bk7794 »

I always try to let up when I see someone who looks like is going to cause problems. I'll either pass them or allow enough time for me stop.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed