This is the new Jeep Cherokee? Seriously?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: This is the new Jeep Cherokee? Seriously?

Post by Shadow »

watkins wrote:We got our first shipments of these things this week. Uglier in person for sure. Awful lines.
Yup, saw it up close at my local Jeep dealer. They had one in the showroom last Monday and it was incredibly ugly.....I mean, in a big way. The funny thing is that it sold in one day. I was at the dealership on Tuesday and it was already gone. I asked my salesman if it was off the showroom floor because it sold and he said "yup, we have a lot of people coming in to look at them"

I guess some people are bound to think they look good. :wink:
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

There are people who actually bought the Aztec. A sucker bitten every second.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't get the Aztec hate, really. It seems to be prevalent on some boards more than others, too. The later versions with painted moldings were't THAT bad looking. I wouldn't call them good looking, but they aren't horrible. Particularly in this day of design; it looks less out of place.

Now, if you want to talk about modern designs being bad, I mean look!

'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I agree, but I've become tired of bothering to mention it. The Aztec was a few years too early and a set of wheels/tires away from being what so many SUVs are now. Everything that is hated about it can be found on popular vehicles.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

The Aztec is one of the worse designs I've ever seen. Nothing on it flows. It looks like it was designed by 25 different people who never met each other. And were blindfolded. It's been the whipping boy of ugly cars for good reason--because it's extremely ugly from any angle and the vast majority of people agree with that assessment. But of course some people will buy it. Different strokes for different folks, right? And of course there are also people who see cars as appliances....and it doesn't make much difference to them how a vehicle looks.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

I have no problem with the styling of the Lexus IS....even with the spindle grille. At least it's a stylish car that has lines that actually flow. Nothing at all like an Aztek or the new Cherokee.

ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

With a different front end it would be a great looking car.

If the Aztec has stick shift and rear wheel drive I'd buy one.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Lets go back to December of 2009:
watkins wrote:
theholycow wrote:
watkins wrote:Between the few inches I chopped out of the middle and the modifications made for the original picture, that version of the Aztek actually could have sold pretty well
Back in the Aztek's days, lowered would have made it sell even less. The market is totally different these days. Although SUVs are still the cash crop, there has been a decent size regrowth of the market for muscley cars, sporty cars, and sporty qualities in cars.
It isnt lowered though. Theres about 3 inches of sheet metal removed.

Compare mine to the original photo:

I removed some of the vertical mass that makes it so unattractive. In so doing I also fixed the horrendous headlights. Since whoever modified the thing for the original image has actually lifted the vehicle and put larger tires on it, the overall effect is a more aggressive looking vehicle that more likely than not would have sold far better.