Soft or stiff clutch pedal- What's your preference?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Re: Soft or stiff clutch pedal- What's your preference?

Post by SonicHKS »

theholycow wrote:I've usually used "heavy" and "light" to describe it. "Stiff" makes me think of it not moving freely, like its hinge is rusted in place and it gets stuck halfway up.

I definitely dislike an excessively light clutch pedal. I weigh 220 pounds and used to be an avid bicyclist, as well as having been in construction (including a lot of carrying bundles of shingles up ladders). I have pretty hefty, strong legs and they work better with a decent load. With a light clutch pedal I don't feel like I'm pushing or letting up the pedal, I just feel like I'm moving my foot around in the air, and that's difficult for me to modulate well.

The ridiculously light clutch pedal was one of my complaints about my 2008 VW, and the heavy clutch pedal is one of the things I like about my 1980 Buick conversion.
+1, I've biked for years and have strong legs. I need some resistance in the clutch to be able to feel it out and modulate it correctly. My old 4-speed '86 Fiero was perfect, very heavy clutch with quick engagement and plenty of torque to get moving.

Its one reason I like my Sonic so much, it has a decently heavy clutch that's easy to modulate, but not too heavy to be exhausting in traffic. On some cars with light clutches you almost have to bring the clutch pedal back up yourself (it doesn't spring up the same as a heavy clutch) and almost wonder if the hydraulics even have pressure :lol:.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I like an intermediate clutch leaning towards the heavier side. Enough feedback without being too obnoxious.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I biked, I injured my knees. Got a Stage 1 clutch in my Mazda 5, injured my knee. I play hockey, I injure my knees. I'm pretty sure I have crappy knees. :(
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Sounds like you've got the kneasles!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:Sounds like you've got the kneasles!
Grooooooooaaaaaaan.
Dkaz wrote:I biked, I injured my knees. Got a Stage 1 clutch in my Mazda 5, injured my knee. I play hockey, I injure my knees. I'm pretty sure I have crappy knees. :(
Yeah, I know that feeling. I actually had notoriously weak ankles when I was younger. Oddly enough, I started playing soccer more regularly, and they have strengthened quite a bit. I don't have the problems that I used to have rolling them. And when I do roll them, it doesn't seem to be as bad.

Granted, it could be completely different circumstances. *shrug*
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Squint wrote:
theholycow wrote:Sounds like you've got the kneasles!
Grooooooooaaaaaaan.
Dkaz wrote:I biked, I injured my knees. Got a Stage 1 clutch in my Mazda 5, injured my knee. I play hockey, I injure my knees. I'm pretty sure I have crappy knees. :(
Yeah, I know that feeling. I actually had notoriously weak ankles when I was younger. Oddly enough, I started playing soccer more regularly, and they have strengthened quite a bit. I don't have the problems that I used to have rolling them. And when I do roll them, it doesn't seem to be as bad.

Granted, it could be completely different circumstances. *shrug*
Back when I had the 1977 F100 it was a mechanical clutch linkage, manual steering and manual brakes (hydraulic of course, but no power assist). AFter 135,000 miles I was getting knee and elbow pains.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:Back when I had the 1977 F100 it was a mechanical clutch linkage, manual steering and manual brakes (hydraulic of course, but no power assist). AFter 135,000 miles I was getting knee and elbow pains.
Many people complain about how they feel after a long horseback ride, but nobody ever asks the horse how he feels about it.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Many people complain about how they feel after a long horseback ride, but nobody ever asks the horse how he feels about it.
True, but me thinks you are just horsing around.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

InlinePaul wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote: Many people complain about how they feel after a long horseback ride, but nobody ever asks the horse how he feels about it.
True, but me thinks you are just horsing around.
Ewe wooden bee Lion.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"