What would be the quickest/easiest way to fry a clutch?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: What would be the quickest/easiest way to fry a clutch?

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:The Jack-O-Lantern in the second picture is hideous.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: What would be the quickest/easiest way to fry a clutch?

Post by ClutchFork »

Before I knew how to teach driving a clutch I tried to teach someone and told them to give it more gas as they let out the clutch. They had not practiced working the pedal or much of anything and had only driven a stick once many, many years ago. I watched the tach go up to about 3500 rpm as the truck seemed to move out in slow motion until I could smell a burnt metallic smell. That clutch went about 100,000 miles, but I think it you do that repeatedly you will ruin the clutch quickly.

Proper way to learn clutch is to NOT use the accelerator pedal at all, but practice launching with very slow movement of the clutch until one gets a very good feel of the clutch and engagement point. Also, when launched, one should practice shifting between 1st and 2nd to help get an even better fell for the clutch. Eventually one will be able to start working in a little throttle into the launch. Patience and practice are important. Also make sure the driver knows they cannot work the clutch and keep their heel on the floor, but that it takes the whole leg to do it right.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...