Do you adjust your driving with other people in the car?

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Re: Do you adjust your driving with other people in the car?

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I drive more carefully, holding each gear longer, accelerate more smoothly. One extra person isn't too big of a deal, but two people, wow, my car is way slower with that weight. It's slower with just one too, now that I think about it. Overall I just try to make my passengers comfortable.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:I drive more carefully, holding each gear longer, accelerate more smoothly. One extra person isn't too big of a deal, but two people, wow, my car is way slower with that weight. It's slower with just one too, now that I think about it. Overall I just try to make my passengers comfortable.
You have a V8 Mustang and you can feel that the car is slower with a passenger (or two) in it? Seriously? When I had my Mustangs, I didn't notice a difference with a passenger or two. If you think about it, another 180 to 350 pounds shouldn't make a big difference. Sure, it will affect acceleration, but not in a big way. I don't even feel a difference in performance when I have a passenger or two in my Audi. It doesn't really feel any slower, although I'm sure it would be a one or two tenths of a second slower than it would be without any passengers.
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

My fault, Shadow, I need to change my signature. I have an old, underpowered, 1,980 pound civic wagon now. The Mustang would not flinch at passengers. If it was affected by that small of a weight change, yeesh. 8)
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

A friend had a Muskrat that was affected by passengers...1000 pounds worth.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

eggwich delfiero wrote:My fault, Shadow, I need to change my signature. I have an old, underpowered, 1,980 pound civic wagon now. The Mustang would not flinch at passengers. If it was affected by that small of a weight change, yeesh. 8)

Oh.....gotcha. I just assumed you still had the Mustang. I can see how you'd feel the difference in your Civic wagon.
ashowofhands
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2003 Outback (dad's)

Post by ashowofhands »

I still drive like I'm taking the freakin road test when I have a parent in the passenger seat, heh.

As for "normal" passengers? Sometimes I go a little more slowly than usual, and I generally try to make my shifting smoother, but that's about it.
zooom
Junior Standardshifter

Post by zooom »

Since I'm new to manuals and usually drive alone, I like to use a passanger's head bobbing as a guide to how smooth I can make it. So, yeah, I adjust my driving and try to see if I can get their head not to bob at all.

That said, the other day I gave a friend and her 5-year-old boy a ride. Short ride. Maybe 10 city blocks. When we got to the destination, the kid yelled out, "That was fun!" Was he commenting on my driving? Cause it was a totally mundane, short ride. And was it good that it was fun or does that mean it was too jerky? Lol.
2011 Mazda 3s 2.5L 6-speed
rml605
Senior Standardshifter

Post by rml605 »

The "head bobbing" IMO is something most people don't even realize. When I have my Dad in the car, I sometimes tell him to stop being so overly dramatic with his head and my shifts are smooth, and he just states, "what are you talking about?" :lol:

So I assume it's something most don't even realize. If you want to stop that bobbing, you just have to ease of gas when shifting and ease on clutching in. I did a real quick 1-2 shift with my Mom in the car and her whole body flew forward and it was a smooth shift at least from what I could tell lol. It was just a real sudden stop in accelaration which is the cause for that "bobbing".
DKaz
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mazda3, Matrix, R3

Post by DKaz »

I wonder if that's why I think my wife shifts better than me? I need to get myself on camera when my wife is driving. lol.

Initial D style, open cup of water in the cupholder.
09 Mazda 5 GS 6MT - His
12 Mazda 3 GS-L Skyactiv 6MT - Hers

ImageImage
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

rml605 wrote:The "head bobbing" IMO is something most people don't even realize. When I have my Dad in the car, I sometimes tell him to stop being so overly dramatic with his head and my shifts are smooth, and he just states, "what are you talking about?" :lol:

So I assume it's something most don't even realize. If you want to stop that bobbing, you just have to ease of gas when shifting and ease on clutching in. I did a real quick 1-2 shift with my Mom in the car and her whole body flew forward and it was a smooth shift at least from what I could tell lol. It was just a real sudden stop in accelaration which is the cause for that "bobbing".
Heads bob in automatics too. Granted, a little less, but they do. You just don't notice because you're not thinking about it.
DKaz wrote:I wonder if that's why I think my wife shifts better than me? I need to get myself on camera when my wife is driving. lol.

License To Drive style, open cup of scalding hot coffee on the dash.

Getting video:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... hp?t=11459
My favorite is the first one, that usually works well.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
lqaddict
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: BMW M235i

Post by lqaddict »

theholycow wrote:
rml605 wrote:The "head bobbing" IMO is something most people don't even realize. When I have my Dad in the car, I sometimes tell him to stop being so overly dramatic with his head and my shifts are smooth, and he just states, "what are you talking about?" :lol:

Heads bob in automatics too. Granted, a little less, but they do. You just don't notice because you're not thinking about it.
DKaz wrote:I wonder if that's why I think my wife shifts better than me? I need to get myself on camera when my wife is driving. lol.

License To Drive style, open cup of scalding hot coffee on the dash.

Getting video:
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... hp?t=11459
My favorite is the first one, that usually works well.
I vouch for a hot coffee in a cupholder, especially with my car and its cupholder design - BMW 3-series (E90 chassis). If I still have no coffee all over the radio buttons by the time I am ready to drink it I did well :D