Slow shifting and the risk of being rear-ended

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Re: Slow shifting and the risk of being rear-ended

Post by watkins »

sls8207 wrote:As for the person saying that you don't decelerate at all during a shift, that is wrong. If you're on an incline, the instant that you cut power from the wheels (disengage clutch), the only force acting on your car is gravity, and depending on the type of incline, it is possible that you can roll back during this time.
If you manage to roll back during a shift, you are an absolute idiot, a danger to yourself and others, and should not be allowed to even look at a car, let alone drive it. If the shift is so botched that you slow down that much (which should never happen) then just stop the damn car and relaunch.

Aside from the fact that no shift should take so long that an aware driver behind you would crash into you, if someone does, they are at fault as far as the law and insurance cares.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

May I posit that most of us are grossly over-thinking this? While it is true that the acceleration (continued gaining of speed) evaporates as soon as the clutch is disengaged, the car doesn't magically start rolling in the opposite direction (or stop moving at all). It's still moving forward, but losing some momentum due to friction and wind-resistance, and gravity in the case of a hill launch - however, this should not be enough to really cause a problem unless everybody in this situation is a mouthbreathing thumbspinner.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

watkins wrote:
sls8207 wrote:If you manage to roll back during a shift, you are an absolute idiot, a danger to yourself and others, and should not be allowed to even look at a car, let alone drive it. If the shift is so botched that you slow down that much (which should never happen) then just stop the damn car and relaunch.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

tankinbeans wrote:May I posit that most of us are grossly over-thinking this?
Like I said from the beginning---this is a silly thread. It's more in line with crackpot theory than real-world application. The only real value here is in the humor. :lol:
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hey guys! I was driving my slushbox 4Runner just got rear-ended by someone in a Nissan Leaf! The Leaf driver said that he didn't expect my 4Runner to have a gap in it's acceleration while the transmission shifted itself. He then went on to explain how there are no gaps at all in the acceleration of his electric Leaf and that was why he rear-ended me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And no, I didn't really get rear-ended by a Leaf. :wink:
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

The reason why this was a concern for me was because even if someone does rear end you, yeah, they will fix it. But generally its never the same. The bumper will be a different color than the rest of the body, and who knows what kind of parts they put on it, or how long the paint will last. I know one of my body panels got painted over 10 years ago and the paint faded and looks like utter crap. The point is, you never know what kind of a job the auto shop will do. Especially with my car being a low car, a bigger car would probably take the trunk lid, and the rear quarter panel extensions with it and miss the bumper.

That is the only reason why this was a concern for me. Not everyone in this world wants to buy a new car every 3-6 years.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

bk7794 wrote:The reason why this was a concern for me was because even if someone does rear end you, yeah, they will fix it. But generally its never the same. The bumper will be a different color than the rest of the body, and who knows what kind of parts they put on it, or how long the paint will last. I know one of my body panels got painted over 10 years ago and the paint faded and looks like utter crap. The point is, you never know what kind of a job the auto shop will do. Especially with my car being a low car, a bigger car would probably take the trunk lid, and the rear quarter panel extensions with it and miss the bumper.

That is the only reason why this was a concern for me. Not everyone in this world wants to buy a new car every 3-6 years.

Relax....I'm not trying to bash on you for your concerns. I'm simply trying to make you realize that your concerns are basically nothing to worry about at all when it comes to being rear-ended because of the speed of your shifting. If you really think about it, just how much does your rate of speed change while shifting? The answer is "very little" and certainly not anywhere near enough that it should be a concern. The scary part here is that while you're worrying about the car behind you, the car in front of you may do something unexpected and then you're the one at fault because you were paying too much attention to the car behind you.
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Shadow wrote:
bk7794 wrote:The reason why this was a concern for me was because even if someone does rear end you, yeah, they will fix it. But generally its never the same. The bumper will be a different color than the rest of the body, and who knows what kind of parts they put on it, or how long the paint will last. I know one of my body panels got painted over 10 years ago and the paint faded and looks like utter crap. The point is, you never know what kind of a job the auto shop will do. Especially with my car being a low car, a bigger car would probably take the trunk lid, and the rear quarter panel extensions with it and miss the bumper.

Relax....I'm not trying to bash on you for your concerns. I'm simply trying to make you realize that your concerns are basically nothing to worry about at all when it comes to being rear-ended because of the speed of your shifting. If you really think about it, just how much does your rate of speed change while shifting? The answer is "very little" and certainly not anywhere near enough that it should be a concern. The scary part here is that while you're worrying about the car behind you, the car in front of you may do something unexpected and then you're the one at fault because you were paying too much attention to the car behind you.
Thanks, I see that this concern was pretty pathetic. I guess it's something I should start working on ha. You did bring up a good point, rear-view watching can be dangerous and I see where you are coming from on that. I obviously don't stare at the mirror at every takeoff but that second of glancing at the mirror can result in something that is worse than a rear collision.

Thanks again.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Roger
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Roger »

I've come fairly close, I can often see that gap close a lot because I get horrible rev hang and I shift at 2k because of my horrible fuel economy lol. I often get impatient people pissed off when I shift to second so they do the insta-lanechange flyby only to be stuck behind a van or truck. If they're 100% tailgaiting the shit out of me I'll wind out 1st and 2nd gear a bit because I don't want to get rear ended.

It's really bad with the AC on because the compressor doesn't reduce the load unless I go WOT.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Bk, not pathetic, just not something you should really worry about.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Roger wrote:I've come fairly close, I can often see that gap close a lot because I get horrible rev hang and I shift at 2k because of my horrible fuel economy lol. I often get impatient people pissed off when I shift to second so they do the insta-lanechange flyby only to be stuck behind a van or truck. If they're 100% tailgaiting the shit out of me I'll wind out 1st and 2nd gear a bit because I don't want to get rear ended.

It's really bad with the AC on because the compressor doesn't reduce the load unless I go WOT.
If they're 100% tailgating, it doesn't matter if you have manual or auto. They are asking for an accident either way. It's not like you're intentionally cutting them off, you're just choosing to not floor it.

What would they do if it's grandma who isn't paying attention and just driving her auto slowly? Demolish her car? I can see why someone might think this is a concern, but there are cheap auto transmissions that have a longer break in shifting than most of us driving a manual. If someone is going to rear end you, they're going to do it regardless of transmission. As RP said, be more worried about those texting.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I'd probably be the expletive who slams on his brakes for the tailgater.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I'd probably be the expletive who slams on his brakes for the tailgater.
:lol: :lol: If I had a cheaper car and/or was not married with a kid, I would totally consider doing that. Go buy some $500 beater just to teach tailgaters a lesson. Maybe reinforce the mounts and put on steel bumpers or something so small accidents beat the crap out of their cars.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:I'd probably be the expletive who slams on his brakes for the tailgater.
:lol: :lol: If I had a cheaper car and/or was not married with a kid, I would totally consider doing that. Go buy some $500 beater just to teach tailgaters a lesson. Maybe reinforce the mounts and put on steel bumpers or something so small accidents beat the crap out of their cars.
Late 80s, early 90s Suburban. Couldn't happen to a better car. This will not happen in Clifford.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

It just occurred to me----

The simplest solution to this fear is to just accelerate slowly in the first place. In other words, when the light turns green, accelerate at a slow rate in 1st gear and then nobody will even notice if you have a smoke before shifting to 2nd gear! Problem solved!