2012 GTI Rev Hang

General discussion about cars. Looking to buy a new car? Have a great driving story? Post it here!
nguyenc7
Junior Standardshifter

2012 GTI Rev Hang

Post by nguyenc7 »

Hey guys,

So I just bought a 2012 GTI two days ago but just noticed it now. During 1st-3rd gear at low rpm (2k-3k), the rpm seems to hang for what feels like a good 2 sec before coming down. I could be wrong but I'm so used to driving my Mazda that I could pretty much dump the clutch after each shifts so it's been difficult waiting on the rev to fall. There are less rev hangs at higher rpm so I was just wondering for anyone who owns an MKVI, is this normal? Is there anything that can eliminate this so just get used to it.

Mods I plan on doing in the future
-intake
-APR stage 1

Just want a bit more torque and hp so just two mods. Will the ecu flash or intake take care of the rev hang?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: 2012 GTI Rev Hang

Post by AHTOXA »

Can't speak for APR 1 but tunes certainly can eliminate Rev hang.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
kayubassist
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kayubassist »

congrats on the new car
i guess you just get used to it.
i don't know if flash will fix it or not, but according to the guys on the forum the stock clutch will be toast a lot sooner so heads up on that.
i had a neuspeed p-flo short ram intake on my mkv gti but i couldn't feel any difference in power. it was supposed to help with the air intake flow so i just believed it did. about a year later the 'swooosh' sound got annoying so i just got rid of it.
i recommend bsh true seal or apr carbonio intake.
2012 Audi A3 S-Line Titanium 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

VW just loves that rev hang.

You get used to it, but never completely. You just can't operate the same way with rev hang. I have heard that most or all aftermarket tunes get rid of rev hang.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
nguyenc7
Junior Standardshifter

Post by nguyenc7 »

Thanks for the info. I never experienced rev hang till now so it was a bit weird. Mods won't come till a bit later down the road but good to hear that they might get rid of it. Now I'm nervous about the clutch but I'm only push the car hard once in a while for fun. Otherwise, I baby my car so the clutch might last a bit more even with tunes who knows.
gear323
Junior Standardshifter

Post by gear323 »

Guys,

There is a petition that you can sign if you have Volkswagen wth the 2.0T engine that has the rev hang or throttle sticking issue. I find it not only super annoying, but I have also had people honk at me and almost rear end me because of the pause between shifts.

You can find the petition here:
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/peti ... -rpm-hang/

There is a video of the rev hang issue here:

www.youtube.com/user/gear323
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

Just curious - does the rev hang make it easier to rev-match, and thereby smooth out the shifts?
2013 Honda Civic Si
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Boston Fit wrote:Just curious - does the rev hang make it easier to rev-match, and thereby smooth out the shifts?
This. I wonder if this is true or not but I don't own a VW.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Squint wrote:
Boston Fit wrote:Just curious - does the rev hang make it easier to rev-match, and thereby smooth out the shifts?
This. I wonder if this is true or not but I don't own a VW.
No. Rev hang, as I experienced it, makes it MUCH HARDER to get a smooth shift. When my VW was cold and had no rev hang my shifts were quick and buttery smooth. Once rev hang kicked in I had to wait around in neutral for a while or drag the engine speed down with the clutch. If I didn't do either of those things, it jerked like I was a noob accidentally flooring the accelerator every time I engaged the clutch in the next gear, the ECU would try to keep RPM rock-steady even if it meant the throttle opening wide with my foot off the accelerator (which I confirmed via OBDII). I used to describe it as being like an elephant kicking the rear bumper.

Jastreb
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda RX-8 R3, Blue

Post by Jastreb »

I have read that it is emissions related. The ECU keeps the throttle open to keep unburned fuel from being dumped into the exhaust when the throttle is closed abruptly.

Here's a really bad case of it:

The "hang" at with the clutch engaged is absurd! It would drive me up the wall if my car did that.
2009 Mazda RX-8 R3
bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

Of course, it's an emissions thing. One of the reasons why I love having minimum crap on my car.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

theholycow wrote:No. Rev hang, as I experienced it, makes it MUCH HARDER to get a smooth shift. When my VW was cold and had no rev hang my shifts were quick and buttery smooth. Once rev hang kicked in I had to wait around in neutral for a while or drag the engine speed down with the clutch. If I didn't do either of those things, it jerked like I was a noob accidentally flooring the accelerator every time I engaged the clutch in the next gear, the ECU would try to keep RPM rock-steady even if it meant the throttle opening wide with my foot off the accelerator (which I confirmed via OBDII). I used to describe it as being like an elephant kicking the rear bumper.
I don't doubt that - in fact I have no mechanical knowledge of cars to speak of - but it does seem counterintuitive. When up-shifting, I've learned to maintain gentle pressure on the gas in order to keep RPM's in the next gear's target range. In other words, I ease off of the gas without coming completely off of it. This helps to smooth out the shifts. I would have expected "rev hang" to help in that regard.
2013 Honda Civic Si
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

As I experienced it, it didn't allow RPM to fall to the next gear's target range, it kept RPM up at the current gear's level.

bk7794
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 00 Civic (Stock)

Post by bk7794 »

theholycow wrote:As I experienced it, it didn't allow RPM to fall to the next gear's target range, it kept RPM up at the current gear's level.
You know what is interesting? Kind of related, but I drove a Taurus once and when I put it in neutral to coast down a hill I looked at the tach and the engine was the exact rpms it was supposed to be as if I were in drive.
2004 Honda Accord 2.4 5 Speed
1989 Ford Taurus SHO 5 speed
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Clifford revs up upon disengaging the clutch for the next gear. It only happens for a fraction of a second, but then it drops right back down. I wonder if this is Ford's way of compensating for reaction time or whatever.

Squint, does your Fiesta do that too?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!